Thinking of names stresses me out!!!

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
brookes630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Usually DH and I don't even begin to think about names until after we find out the gender. But now that our family knows, we are constantly getting asked about names. If we have a boy, we have a few names that we really like but since dh is convinced that this is a girl, we have no idea where to even begin. We already have two girls and our second daughter took us awhile to agree on her name. So I'm open for suggestions. I want something that flows and goes with our girls names. I also like more classic names. Our daughters names were inspired by old Hollywood.

Our other daughters names are Natalie Elizabeth and Audrey Grace.

Any thoughts/suggestions?? I have two names that I kind of like but I'd love to hear your thoughts. I do know that we are considering Kate or Katherine for the middle name after my mom and grandmas.

January 1st, 2014, 08:32 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im right with you! It took the full pregnancy to get our names down to two boys names (and then waited to see him before choosing a name) so any boys names people wanna throw out.. I'm listening!! lol. We like uncommon, but not weird names.

Old Hollywood is my ish!

A few I like:

Ava (Gardner)
Brigitt (Bardow)
Veronica (Lake)
Greta (Garbo)
Jayne (Mansfield)
Vivian (Leigh)
Marlene (Dietrich)
Lana (Turner)
Mae (west)
Ingrid (Bergman)
Jean (Harlow)
Lucille (Ball)
Bette (Davis)

Katherine fits in with the Hepburn theme

Last edited by colette20; January 1st, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
January 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM
PS - I wanna hear the ones you kinda like!
brookes630 likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have an Ava and Olivia so I like the old fashion/vintage names for girls as well. I'm also not really bothered by popularity of a name if it is something I really love. I think with what you already have Eleanor (which is my top favorite thus far for this baby), Emma (or Emily), Charlotte, Evelyn, Anna, or Cora would sound nice. Of course I am super partial to Ava and Olivia.

As far as family being pushy with names, we have dealt with that in the past and our solution has been to come up with a truly awful name and tell them that is the IT name. With Ava we told everyone we were naming her Octavia (say that to the tune of Activia from the yogurt commercials). This time we are letting everyone know it is a joke but we refer to the baby as Bart (our last name is Bartlett is Bart Bartlett). We haven't decided if we will share names at all this time until baby arrives.

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2
January 2nd, 2014, 04:37 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I'm no help. DH and I literally get in arguments about names so I've stopped. lol

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 2nd, 2014, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far ladies. I like Ava but that one is out because its my nieces name. Olivia was on my list with dd#1 so I guess that could be an option. I was going to spell it Alivia because I have a weird thing with O names (blame it on office space, Lol). Anyways we liked Alivia Kate at the time.

For now I like either Lauren (like Lauren Bacall) Kate or Lauren Katherine. My sis just informed me this weekend that was her choice for a girls name if they ever have another girl. But, if this really is a girl, we dont have many choices so I probably would just use it anyways. Oops!! Lauren is actually a name we considered last time too.

Another name I like but is not quite "Old Hollywood" would be Emily Kate/ Emily Katherine. Oh the decisions!!! Plus, those are more popular/common names so I don't know how many Lauren and Emily's are really out there.

Other than that, I have no clue!!!

January 2nd, 2014, 07:40 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Names really really stress me out. It took me the full 9 months to come up with my first daughter's name and I absolutely loved it so then when it came to finding a name for my second daughter, I had a really hard time. Ended up finding a name that I loved just as much. Now, I can't imagine coming up with any names that fit with the first 2. I'm just going to wait until I find out the gender and focus on it then. I currently have an Akadia Lakeyn and Cambria Rayne. We went with seaside towns/parks on opposing coasts for the first name with some medieval roots to the name orgins and a "water" themed middle name. Me, being a total geek, thought it was cool to have so many parallels in their names. No clue what I am going to use this time...
VallyD likes this.

January 2nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
We are set on our girl name (Verity Farah) but boys we have no clue.

I really like katherine or some variation of it. Especially because of your family connection to the name, and it is classic, I would go with it.
VallyD likes this.

January 2nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
I always tell everyone now that the family knows that I will NOT do names until I know what I'm having. I came up with a list of boy and girl names back in the beginning. But I have kept them to myself and hidden away until that time comes.

But for your sake, I like:

Ava

The rest seem like old lady names to me. But that is just my opinion.
RhiettaP and rachoochoo2 like this.

My baby boy!

January 2nd, 2014, 08:27 AM
Bluesstarz2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Classic Baby Names - List Of Classic Names For Babies | Nameberry.com

Nameberry has a ton of different list and suggestions from all sorts of people. I would nose around on there.
mstee511 and ZeeWP like this.

January 2nd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our girls are Evelyn & Eleanor (Ella) and we lean toward classic girls names. Some of my other favorites are Nora, Charlotte & Katherine.

January 2nd, 2014, 09:31 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
I have no idea yet with names.... With our first if it was a girl we thought of vittoria Vanessa. Both of our sisters middle names.... My SIL however dropped off the face of the earth and has totally forgotten about all of us so even though I love the name I feel like it would be an undeserved sort of nod to her if that makes sense?
January 2nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
I really like Lauren! Emily is my favorite name ever, but my cousins name is Emily, so I can't use it :/

But I think Lauren is kinda uncommon in this generation. I like it!
brookes630 likes this.

January 2nd, 2014, 11:34 AM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzledobe View Post
I have no idea yet with names.... With our first if it was a girl we thought of vittoria Vanessa. Both of our sisters middle names.... My SIL however dropped off the face of the earth and has totally forgotten about all of us so even though I love the name I feel like it would be an undeserved sort of nod to her if that makes sense?
Maybe make her name the middle name and your sister's the first one? Either way, it's your child's name, not hers. If anyone says anything just be like "ehhh, I just liked it for my daughter, it worked out that it's the same name" or something like that lol

January 3rd, 2014, 06:36 AM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Names stress me out as well....with my 4th (3rd boy) he was nameless for quite a while.....Lord help me if I have to come up with a 4th boy name!! I had a girls name that I just loved....right up until I found out I was pregnant...and now the name...I don't like it anymore (Eleanor Josephine - Ellie)....will probably still use Josephine as the middle name (Dh's grandmothers name)....but I like Mae for a middle name too...

Names I like right now:
Charlotte (Charlie)
Emma
Emily
Katherine
Adeline (Addy)
Addison - though it doesn't fit with my other kids names.....
Grace - thought as soon as I told my sister I was pregnant she said if "I have a girl her name will be Grace so don't use the name"...might use it just to spite her

Boys - I got nothing!

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
January 3rd, 2014, 06:46 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by colette20 View Post
I really like Lauren! Emily is my favorite name ever, but my cousins name is Emily, so I can't use it :/

But I think Lauren is kinda uncommon in this generation. I like it!
As a Laura.... we consider any variation the same thing Lora, Lauren, Loren, Lara, Lori.... It's quite annoying because people never get them straight. Growing up I didn't have very many in my classes, maybe once a Lauren Ashley but now that I am grown we have 3 Laura's and a Lori on our floor.

January 3rd, 2014, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
We are set on our names already. If he miraculously turns out to be a girl then she will be Evelyn Jane. For a boy we have Nathan Andrew ll.

3/28/13- 6 weeks
January 3rd, 2014, 07:34 AM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally I love Ingrid, my sister-in-law is named Ingrid and it's a beautiful name.

We agreed instantly on the girl name, but we can't agree on anything for a boy. He wants to use a Spanish name for a boy and I find none of them appealing. It better be a girl or we might actually have to figure it out lol
ZeeWP likes this.
January 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
Names really really stress me out. It took me the full 9 months to come up with my first daughter's name and I absolutely loved it so then when it came to finding a name for my second daughter, I had a really hard time. Ended up finding a name that I loved just as much. Now, I can't imagine coming up with any names that fit with the first 2. I'm just going to wait until I find out the gender and focus on it then. I currently have an Akadia Lakeyn and Cambria Rayne. We went with seaside towns/parks on opposing coasts for the first name with some medieval roots to the name orgins and a "water" themed middle name. Me, being a total geek, thought it was cool to have so many parallels in their names. No clue what I am going to use this time...
Cambria was on my list for a girl with my last pregnancy, I LOVE that name!
Leanne78 likes this.
January 3rd, 2014, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VallyD View Post
Personally I love Ingrid, my sister-in-law is named Ingrid and it's a beautiful name.

We agreed instantly on the girl name, but we can't agree on anything for a boy. He wants to use a Spanish name for a boy and I find none of them appealing. It better be a girl or we might actually have to figure it out lol
Oh if we had a boy I so wish we had Hispanic heritage. For some reason, I love the name Mateo. A friend from work chose that as her son's middle name and I love it!!
VallyD likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search