Meeting with HR

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leanne78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2014, 11:10 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I scheduled a meeting with our benefits office for Thursday to discuss the FML policy and my options after the baby is born.
This is going to be the one where they pull out the spreadsheet and forecast how much salary I will make (more like going without) while I am out. YIKES!!! Putting numbers on it is going to bring so much anxiety!

Since I was not planning on TTC at open enrollment in August, I did not opt for the short term disability insurance. I did some research last week and fortunately the carrier will accept pre-existing conditions (me being pregnant already) but I will be limited to 4weeks instead of 22. The trick is having a qualifying event that will allow me to change my enrollment. I am going to ask about that on Thursday - DH is looking at changing jobs soon so I expect to have to add him to my ins at least until his new employers coverage takes effect. If I understand correctly - that should qualify me to opt in the short term disability before the baby comes. I did the math and will have 4 weeks covered with my own leave balance, but after that nothing if I cant get the STD coverage. Fingers crossed!

January 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
Yea, I have a Performance Review meeting this afternoon with my HR lady. I will ask her about the ST Disability as well. I was planning to use up my vacation time so that I could still have income coming in to pay bills.

I was wondering if the disability was even an option.

My baby boy!

January 6th, 2014, 11:21 AM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not working right now, but when I did (worked civil service for the AF) if I had 4 weeks of leave saved up then I would use a week of leave then a week of leave w/o pay so every pay day I had 1/2 a paycheck....was much easier then going weeks with no income.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
January 6th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Its usually additional insurance policy you have to pay for each month - like additional Life Ins or AD&D. Most policies don't allow for preexisting conditions that result in claims within the 1st year (being preg and then going on leave) but looks like ours is different just limiting the benefit. I did the out of pocket calculator tool they offer and it added up to about $170/mo for the coverage. YIKES!
Most policies also REQUIRE you expend all sick and vacation leave before you can use the disability, while some have a 2 week waiting period and you get paid concurrently with your vacation or sick leave until the period ends. Here, it wont kick in until my leave balance is 0.
I am going to ask about accruals though, I don't know if they continue while your on FML or not. Where I am we get 8 hrs sick, and I get 9 hrs vacation each month. I wonder if that will continue while I'm on leave? What about paid holidays like 4th of July and Labor Day (heheh the irony) ? I did see that they will continue to pay for my health insurance while I am out, but the vision and dental will be on me.
Its so confusing!!! I am looking forward to meeting with someone who specializes in decoding the policy!

January 6th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still need to tell my boss (waiting until we are face to face in 2 weeks) but when I signed up for benefits my company automatically covers STD/LTD and pays for it. I will only get something like 75% of my pay but I will also have a few weeks of PTO saved up so I can get full pay.

Rhietta - That is a very smart way to do it. I will probably have to rotate FMLA and STD at some point so I will still bring in a paycheck.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 6th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhiettaP View Post
I'm not working right now, but when I did (worked civil service for the AF) if I had 4 weeks of leave saved up then I would use a week of leave then a week of leave w/o pay so every pay day I had 1/2 a paycheck....was much easier then going weeks with no income.
Working for the State we get paid 1x/month so it wouldn't make any difference, and I am not allowed to pick which weeks my leave is applied - it goes until the balance is 0. But on short term disability my check would only be 60% my normal salary - I just don't know if it'd come weekly or monthly since it'd be through a separate company.

January 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I still haven't told my boss or HR. I feel like I was just on maternity leave, so I'm kind of hesitant to bring it up. We automatically get short term disability at my job - 1 week for every year worked. I've been there over 10 years, but they cap maternity at 6 weeks (unless you have a C-section), so that is all I will get paid. I have to use vacation too for the first week because they don't pay the first week. In the end, I'll take about 8 weeks and then use my last week of vacation at Christmas time to go visit the in-laws. Wish I could take longer, but that about all I can afford. Can't handle any loss of pay.
laleighpop likes this.

January 6th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Wow, I would kill to have actual maternity leave!!
But, after seeing some of these posts about physician costs, I am pretty darn happy that the state covers my health insurance 100% and that nothing has been out of pocket so far. I paid $35 copay for my annual/preconception visit, but that was covered 100% so they credited my account. Apparently for prenatal I only have to pay $35 for the initial visit which was covered by that credit.... so, $0 bills until baby comes! Now just to find out what that 20% I'm going to owe will really be......

January 6th, 2014, 02:35 PM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
So we don't have the FMLA because we're a small business and don't have enough employees to use it.

But...I was told that I would use up all of my leave first and then go on ST Disability. Also as far as health insurance goes, If I am out for more than 30 days and all of my leave has run out, I will have to pay the entire premium on my own. I was considering just taking 4 weeks at first because that's all the leave I will have saved up. But if I can get an extra 2 weeks off the short term disability, I think I will draw that too. But I have to have a letter from my doctor and fill out some sort of application for it.

What bothers me is that we don't get much sick leave per month...just 4 hours. All these doctor's visits have pretty much used that up and now I am dipping into my leave.

My baby boy!

January 6th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Super Mommy
Interesting convo. I never took out short term disability and wondering if I can take it out now? Because of my profession if I don't work I don't get paid. So I will be saving as much as I can to cover bed rest time and 6weeks post babies born. Mostly from real due date. So i'm thinking 2-3 mo worth. WOW. SO I best not be buying anything I don't need huh...starting NOW! YIKES
January 6th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran
I never took short term disability either, didn't know it was an option. My firm is a small business so not covered by FMLA, but they actually continued to pay me my salary last year when I was on maternity leave for 8 weeks. I never brought it up, and neither did they but I kept getting paychecks. Hopefully they do that again this time.

January 6th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't told my work yet either. My other pregnancies were when I was was with a different company. They had an awesome leave policy - you got 2 weeks off before your due date and then 6 weeks 100% pay after baby was born. This company I will work until they day I am in labor, then use all my sick time (about 4 weeks) and then I get 60% leave for the next 2 weeks. I could use vacation to cover that so it is 100% but I don't want to use all my vacation. I will probably tell my boss after our 20 week ultrasound. I work remotely so nobody will see my expanding belly

January 6th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The outside company that does my employers std is Unum and I was paid weekly. My regular pay is biweekly.

I have to use all my sick and personal leave. Then, I must have a week without pay. After that std will start. It's the highest amount I'm allowed to have, whatever it is. But, I'm a teacher and due July 5. So, I may not even need to use any leave for the birth.

I earn 1 sick leave day per month worked. At the start of the year (in Aug.) I'm "fronted" 2 days from March and April. I don't remember how it converts to personal leave.
January 7th, 2014, 07:05 AM
This really is an interesting thread - I had no idea FMLA wasn't a federal mandate!

There are so many different stories here!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search