Cloth Diapering Mamas

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Bluesstarz2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Help! Lead me in the direction of what i need to buy and how many i need to buy. I know i need to stock pile and i know its a personal choice of what people like but i really need someone to be like, you need 20 pocket diapers and 5 aio's. I have read so many different things and i just dont know, so please help!

January 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh yes I am very interested in this... please do tell!

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 9th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you are planning to CD from the beginning you will need something for the itty bitty stage. My personal newborn stash will probably be mostly prefolds and covers. They are cheap and easy. I will probably buy two dozen prefolds and maybe 4-5 covers. Once they are able to fit one size diapers I will be mixing it between pocket diapers (cheapest option) and fitted diapers (more expensive but they make great overnight diapers). I would say that unless you like to wash diapers every.single.day. than a stash of at least 24 diapers would probably allow you go to 2-3 days between washing. That's about what I started out with and I added more in as I went so that I wasn't constantly washing the same diapers again. I liked to add more into my stash as I went because although you can do it with 24 diapers if you are washing the same diapers over and over will wear them out more quickly.

Anyway most of my stash is going to probably be Sunbaby pocket diapers (China cheapies) because they are under $5 a piece and because of the price they make a great stash filler. Welcome | Sun Baby Diapers

ETA
As far as an exact number I will probably try to have 2 dozen sunbabies and maybe about 10 fitteds (although I love buying diapers so I am sure I will end up with way more than that). Fitteds do require covers for overnight use so I will probably get 4 OS covers and maybe some fleece/wool.
Bluesstarz2 likes this.

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2

Last edited by rachoochoo2; January 9th, 2014 at 07:09 AM.
January 9th, 2014, 07:07 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Speak English please LOL

You are making me want to get off track and start googling some of the terms you just used but I HAVE to get this work done.

January 9th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachoochoo2 View Post
If you are planning to CD from the beginning you will need something for the itty bitty stage. My personal newborn stash will probably be mostly prefolds and covers. They are cheap and easy. I will probably buy two dozen prefolds and maybe 4-5 covers. Once they are able to fit one size diapers I will be mixing it between pocket diapers (cheapest option) and fitted diapers (more expensive but they make great overnight diapers). I would say that unless you like to wash diapers every.single.day. than a stash of at least 24 diapers would probably allow you go to 2-3 days between washing. That's about what I started out with and I added more in as I went so that I wasn't constantly washing the same diapers again. I liked to add more into my stash as I went because although you can do it with 24 diapers if you are washing the same diapers over and over will wear them out more quickly.

Anyway most of my stash is going to probably be Sunbaby pocket diapers (China cheapies) because they are under $5 a piece and because of the price they make a great stash filler. Welcome | Sun Baby Diapers

So with prefolds, you have to learn to fold them right? And you have to buy the velcro clips? I hope you don't mind me picking your brain.

And the sun baby cloth diapers, what sizes would i need? My goal is to cloth diaper for hopefully a year. I may use disposables a little bit but i want to mainly use cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laleighpop View Post
Speak English please LOL

You are making me want to get off track and start googling some of the terms you just used but I HAVE to get this work done.
Pocket diapers- You have an outer shell and you stuff it with something

AIO- All in ones

Prefolds, are the old fashion baby cloth diapers

I'm learning as well! I've been reading so much the last few weeks.
laleighpop likes this.

January 9th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesstarz2 View Post
So with prefolds, you have to learn to fold them right? And you have to buy the velcro clips? I hope you don't mind me picking your brain.
I always just trifolded them and laid them in the cover (mostly because I had chunky babies and that's what worked best for me) but there are a ton of different ways to fold them. You can use diapers pins but a lot of people use these things called snappi's.
Here's a video that shows 5 different ways to fold How to fold a prefold cloth diaper (5 different options) - YouTube
And here's a link to see what a snappi is. Amazon.com: Snappi Cloth Diaper Fastener - Pack of 1 (Bright Blue): Baby
Erin.Berg and laleighpop like this.

January 9th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Cloth Diaper Terminology | Diapershops Blog

Terminology for the cloth diaper world.

January 9th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The sunbaby comes in size 1 and 2 and it's confusing as heck BUT they are both a one size diaper. Size 1's are for skinnier babies and size 2's fit a chunkier baby better. It's really kind of silly because the skinny babies can wear either size just fine and if you lay a size 1 on top of a size 2 there is only the tiniest of difference.

And until you get into actually doing it and start figuring it out for yourself it all sounds like Greek.

January 9th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Prefolds, you can literally just fold over and put inside a cover. You don't have to do any fancy smancy folding jobs with pins/clips etc. I have Flip Covers that I use with a prefold just folded over twice. Honestly, I will not CD for the newborn stage. Just wayyy too many diaper changes to make it worth it for me and getting any CD (cloth diaper) on a newborn at 2 a.m. in the dark just isn't fun. I'll stick with Pamper's newborns until we get past the itty bitty stage. After that, my favorite diapers are BumGenius Pocket diapers. You basically stuff the pocket with inserts - could be the ones that come with the BumGenius diapers or you could even throw a prefold in there. I found my magic combination of 1 bamboo insert (bamboo is the material), 1 microfiber insert and in the back a hemp insert. The bamboo soaks up pee super fast, then it gets pulled into the microfiber insert and the hemp insert is extremely absorbent but doesn't soak up as fast, so I put that in the back. I never have leaks at night with that combo. It is really overwhelming at first - all the lingo and different types of diapers etc. I really did buy WAY too many. I have enough diapers to go a week without doing laundry - and I don't advise that - Pew! I think All in Ones are a huge waste of money because they are never absorbent enough unless you plan to change diapers every 30 minutes. Everyone has there own opinions on what is best though. Honestly, I would buy one of each and see what you like before investing too much in one type. You will find your groove eventually and know exactly what you prefer to use.

January 9th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually prefer the newborn-6 months stage when it comes to CD just because I breastfeed and you don't have to rinse poo out if it's breastmilk poo. It's water soluble and it just magically dissolves in the wash.

January 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For the new born stage your going to want 24-36 diapers and 6-10 covers (I tend to go towards the higher because bf poo is runny and leaks easily) for me I find prefolds bulky on newborns unless they are preemie sized and they need doublers. My favorite diaper is the GMD workhorse fitteds Cloth-eez Workhorse fitted diapers

They are absorbent like prefolds with the ease of fitteds they can be bought with and without snaps (I prefer without I can get a better fit that way) if you get them without snaps you can use pins or snappis. For covers I like the bummis for newborns and thirsties one size for bigger babies.
Bluesstarz2 likes this.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

January 9th, 2014, 07:30 AM
A wet bag, does that just go in a garbage pail and then i can put the dirty diapers in there? Or is a wet bag a travel thing?

Amazon.com: Planet Wise Diaper Wet Bag - Owl Medium: Baby

January 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They are both you'll need one fir home and one for the diaper bag unless you plan on putting dirty diapers in like walmart bags or something.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

January 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
There are different options for wet bags. Some people just do a liner in a trash can. I have several of the bags that zip up and I just wash them with the diapers.

I forgot to mention fitted diapers that go under the covers. Some of the cutest diapers I have are Nanipoo fitted diapers. I need to hunt up some pictures of those on Cam when she was first born. I did attempt to CD her in the early days.

January 9th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use prefolds and covers, love the Thirsties covers. Baby goes through about 10-12 diapers a day in the beginning so I try to have enough that I can wash them every 2-3 days. I have about 3 dozen prefolds and 6-8 covers. You don't have to use a new cover every time you change them unless it is soiled or really wet.

So really for amount it depends on how frequently you want to wash. With soon to be 10 of us in the house it's hard to tie up the washer dryer for that many hours so that's why I aim for 2-3 days.

January 9th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When we first started using cloth, we tried a bunch of different brands and types. The only type we haven't tried yet is prefolds. I suggest trying a few brands and a few types to start with because you never know what you're going to like and what will work best for your baby. Since then, we have sold the majority of our diapers and switched to all applecheeks (2 size pocket system and we use the bamboo insterts, although they also have microterry) for daytime and use fitteds (goodmama, little fancy pants brands) with sloomb wool overtop. I don't remember if I read if you're going to cloth from the beginning or not, but we also really liked the grovia newborn AIOs and the bumgenius newborns (also aio). We tend to have small babies, so the size 1 applecheeks didn't fit right away, but they do for a lot of babies. And yes, I totally agree that stash size depends on how often you want to wash. For a newborn, I'd say 25 diapers would be good for washing every 2 days or so. Once they get a bit older, I think you could do with 18-20 washing every 2 days or so.

Mommy to Keagan - June 2008, Benny - October 2010 and Liam - June 2012
January 9th, 2014, 12:25 PM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
I thought cloth diapering twins would save money but 24 diapers for ONE baby? That means I'd need 50 clothes diapers to start? Well crap! lol. Maybe it would be best to use disposible for the first month or two? I really don't know anything about cd!

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
January 9th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With twins you'd wash everyday most likely. So you could get by with 36 diapers or so.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

January 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cloth diaper. All of my diapers are pocket diapers with micro fiber inserts and then I use an extra bambo insert. I wouldn't stock pile until you are sure you want to CD (and you won't be sure until you CD for a few weeks). I have an obsession with my CD's because they are so stinking cute...I've probably got 75 or so....right now I wash diapers every 2-3 days (I still have plenty of diapers..just don't want them to get super smelly and nasty).

Are you on FB? If you are, do a search for CD co-op's...much cheaper to buy diapers for $2-$4 a piece vs the $20 you will find online. Bazinga Buys is a great CD co-op.
Bluesstarz2 and rachoochoo2 like this.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
January 9th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I was looking at diaper swappers website. Ill have to look up those groups on facebook. Now you said, i wouldnt be sure on cloth diapering, is that to get used to it or what?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search