Hospital Packing list!

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2014, 12:26 PM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
Started making a list of things to take to the hospital... why does it feel like this list is longer than vacation lists? (And yes I know I'm only 24 weeks I am not packing the stuff till end of May/June! I just like being prepared!)

Here is what I have for myself and Verity--I'm not packing for DH. He has his own list lol

for myself (in my gym duffel bag):
Loose dress to go home in
post birthing gowns 3X
underwear 3X
Nursing pads (just the samples I have laying around)
Kindle
cell phone and charger
toiletries
comb
Makeup/Chapstick
Nursing bra 2X
Bathrobe
Flip flops
Nipple cream
glasses
Contact Lens case and soluton
Socks with grip 3X
gift for nurses
Meds/vitamins
water bottles 4X
big towel & washcloth
wet bag
hard candies sugar free
small fan
makeup wipes
TUCKS
Sitz bath spray
quarters for vending machine
Baby book
pony tail holders
Wallet
nursing pillow
CPAP stuff (I have sleep Apnea)
pillows 2X

Verity (I am going to have a diaper bag version of duffel from PPB Amazon.com: Petunia Pickle Bottom Wistful Weekender Tote,Positively Plaid,One Size: Baby
Socks 2X
summer hat
blankets/swaddlers 3X
outfit nb 2X
outfit 3m 2X
Car seat
Mittens for scratching
burp cloths 3X

I know hospital provides most things, especially disposable stuff, but some things I am brand specific... pads and stuff I'm just gonna use what the hospital gives.

Have you started your list? Have you started packing?

April 5th, 2014, 01:49 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy cow. That is a list. LOL. I had a very similar list with Zane. I didn't use 80% of it.

My list is much more condensed this time. It helps I know going in that I KNOW this time I am having a c/s, and will be there four days.

Hair ties
brush
deodorant
grippy socks (x3)
Zip front night gowns (x3)
Cheap robe (hospitals are cold!!)
lip balm (I am skipping make up this time. I never touched it, but lips get so dry)
Chargers/phones/camera
Money and loose change for vending machines
going home outfit (dress this time, and a nursing bra, I dont wear a bra at the hospital)
My ID, and insurance cards

My hospital provides a tooth brush, tooth paste, a razor, mouth wash, a comb, shampoo, and soap. I plan on just using theirs. I brought my own last time, and never used it.

We brought small snacks, like goldfish crackers, and hard candy for both of us. DF just brought a duffle bag of clothes, his phone/charger, and left a few times to go shower at home, and brought back things I wanted (like strawberry shakes, or specific treats)

For baby, I bring the car seat, 2 outfits in nb and 2 in 0-3. Mittens (SO important, lol), burp cloths, a few receiving blankets. I use as many hospital blankets and onesies as possible, I also use their diapers, wipes, and such.

We are close to my parents and home, so I can always send someone to get anything I truly need.

April 5th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
That list is going to help many ladies on here, TFP!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

April 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Veteran
Love it! That's about what we packed with our first. We also didn't hardly use any of it.

Because I wanted lots of skin-to skin bonding and the postpartum, um, fluids, were disgusting, I just hung out in my undies and maybe a nursing bra in bed.

Plus, the hospital provided so much stuff we just used that until we got home, but if you are brand-specific, bring the brands you love. I can almost guarantee they won't provide the premium stuff!

I would bring take-out menus to the hospital. Or a tablet/phone/computer so you can looks stuff up in case the hospital food is terrible. Jimmy Johns delivered to our room and it was awesome.
April 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am horrible at making lists, and with only being in the hospital for 36 hrs after my last c section I don't take much.

For me:
Socks 1 pair
1 gown
Flip flops
Hair tie
Chap stick
Underwear 2-3 pair
Phone
Tablet
Chargers
Toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner
Pillow
I'll wear the same clothes to the hospital and home again.

For baby:
1 sleeper-NB
1 sleeper-3mo
1 going home outfit NB
1 going home outfit-3mo
1 blanket
Carseat

I take full advantage of what the hospital provides.
Spottts likes this.

April 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My list is very similar to MamaHarvey.

1 gown/pajamas, 1 underwear to wear home, hair tie, Chapstick, brush, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste (my hospital doesn't provide toiletries), flip flops, phone, charger, tablet, camera, baby book. What bra depends of if I decide to breastfeed.

The past 2 times I wore home the same clothes I went in. I got dressed before I left for the hospital so they were worn for an hour, maybe, before putting on the hospital gown.

I'll use everything the hospital provides.

For baby I'll bring a going home outfit for Newborn and one 0-3 months and a blanket. DH will bring the car seat when he picks us up.
April 6th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaOf2andBean
My list is also similar to MommaHarvey's. I might bring a couple pajamas for me since I will be a c-section so I'm there longer and I like to have something else on when people visit so I'm not afraid my hiney will show.
Spottts likes this.

April 6th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Super Mommy
Great lists y'all. Zeenat yours is super detailed love it. I'm going to use these a lot. I love lists but have no clue what to include!!
April 6th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine is is pretty much the same as Mama Harvey ' s as well. I took way too much stuff the first time. I also go home in the same outfit I wore there. Since I am not being induced this time I will probably pack am extra just in case.
The hospital will provide a lot of after care stuff like pads, mesh undies, tucks pads, diapers, wipes,etc. ..They will also put a little nightgown on the baby and I always just kept baby in it until we were dressing to go home. They also provide receiving blankets.
Spottts likes this.

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2

Last edited by rachoochoo2; April 6th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
April 6th, 2014, 04:35 PM
A lot of mine are annoying medical stuff. Like my meds, cpap machine, glasses... blah blah blah. lol Some of it will just be dump from my regular purse to my bag, like i'm not taking real make up (who has the energy for that ****?) just like what I use anyways which is chapstick and/or lip gloss and mascara. but that's already in my purse. Tucks--someone said the hospital didn't carry it, and others said it did. I just want to be safe on that front. They give you a peri bottle, but not necessarily with the Sitz stuff. so I put that spray on there, too. I have some clothes/outfits because our maternity/newborn photographer is gonna come in and just in case I don't like the onesie or nightgown they put on her. lol That is a bit over the top, I admit.... I used other people's recommendations for most of the list. So if I overpack, I blame them!

April 7th, 2014, 02:12 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
psssh go for it. better to overpack than under pack and be frustrated AND hormonal all at the same time! heh heh I actually AM going to see if my photographer can come the 2nd day and take some pix so I will try to get some makeup on. Also, I brought my own shampoo, conditioner because not a lot works on my curlfro ;-)
April 7th, 2014, 02:20 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its a first time moms right to over pack. we're good at it. lol. Plus each labor is different, what works for one, doesnt work for another. You don't know. I am lucky in that I know I am having surgery, and that with my heart and blood issues, my doctor already has me there for 4 days. I went in expecting to leave like 36 hours later after a vaginal birth last time. DF has to bring all his pills and cpap too, so he'll have more to bring this time. As long as I leave for the hospital with my purse, I feel like Im ok, lol. I just need lip balm, change, and my phone. lol. I can send people out for anything else afterwards.

April 7th, 2014, 02:50 PM
LOL My DH thinks it's so weird that I pack shampoo/conditioner/body wash even if we stay at a hotel.

April 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWP View Post
LOL My DH thinks it's so weird that I pack shampoo/conditioner/body wash even if we stay at a hotel.
No way! We have sensitive skin and don't ever use hotel provided toiletries! DH won't even wash his hands with their soap.
ZeeWP likes this.
April 7th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Bluesstarz2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OOO thanks ladies for the lists. I think I'm gonna make a mixture of all the lists. I didn't get to pack for my first one because I waited till the last minute and had an emergency c-section. So I'm gonna be ready this time!

April 8th, 2014, 08:55 AM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
Good grief Zee! LOL Are you going away for a month or a couple of days? LOL I think the gift for the nurses is an awesome idea tho.

I was thinking my list would consist of:
Undies x4
Pads for undies (one pack)
Nursing Bras x4
Nursing gowns (which I haven't bought yet, but plan to soon) x2
Cute sleeveless/strapless dress to leave hospital in
My trusty summer flip flops
Socks (the hospital provides those toastees socks, but I have a nice soft pair)
Ponytail holder (I plan on getting braids maybe next month, so no need for combs or brushes, sprays, etc)
Makeup (I have to be cute for pics...lol)
Phone/charger
iPad/charger
toiletries (soap, nipple cream, lotion & oils, toothpaste, etc.)
snacks

For baby: onesies x4
2 outfits for leaving hospital...with socks and a skull cap.
a few pampers & wipes
baby lotion
grooming kit
bottles for breast milk storage
bottle for water
pacifier

That's all I can think of for now.

My baby boy!

May 29th, 2014, 11:01 AM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
Found it!!!!

My baby boy!

May 29th, 2014, 11:05 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Great job!!! Sticky this one LOL!

Timica- bottles for breastmilk storage - you really won't have enough to collect until after you leave the hospital and your milk comes in. If you ran into an emergency where you needed to be there past when your milk came in the hossy would provide you with what you need.

Also, be sure to add nursing pads to your packing list because you will leak into your bras or nursing tops without them. ;-)

oh and for the love of all things holy - listen to the ladies that put chapstick on their list. hospital air is majorly dry and labor is work... you will want this a million times over!
May 29th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These lists are overwhelming! Thank god I only live a few blocks from the hospital. I figure if I forget something someone can go get it for me

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 29th, 2014, 11:18 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
^^^ same here. We are literally across the street from the hospital. DH could jog there if he needed too! ha
Erin.Berg likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search