Let's Talk Cloth Diapers

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM
chihuahuaesque's Avatar Super Mommy
I've decided to go the cloth diaper route. I definitely want to use the all in one diapers, and Bumgenius really appeals to me. They look easy (not to mention adorable!). We have a cloth diapering class at our birthing center on May 3rd and we'll probably wait until after then to order our stash.

So... what brands do you like best? Benefits or drawbacks to them?

Best toilet hose? I have read good things about the Bumgenius brand of that as well.

How many diapers should I buy to start with? I'm thinking about getting 18, and then adding more if I feel I need them.

April 17th, 2014, 06:32 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Attending a class is great idea. Actually seeing things with cloth diapers is very very helpful. I would recommend however, you not order a big stash of one kind of diaper. I was in love with AIOs while pregnant, and the brand I loved (because of prints) did NOT work for Zane. At all. He leaked every twenty minutes in those things. What I use now is definitely NOT something I saw myself using in the beginning. (prefolds and covers) Each baby is different and each preference CD moms have is very different, and may not be what you expect. I just don't want to see someone spend a fortune on a stash they end up not liking.

As for our hose, we use a plain old sink sprayer hook up... lol. The one we had in the kitchen had awesome pressure so I bought another for the dipes.

April 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bum genius are great. I used them for a long time. We have hard water so I'm sticking to cotton only this time so I'm using green mountain diapers workhorse diapers and pul covers (I have a variety) I will use a few aio's too, but not that many. I like nana's bottoms for aio's cheap and great diapers.

Quantity : I wash every 2days so have 36 newborn diapers and 18 or so for there after.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

April 21st, 2014, 10:59 PM
GracieNAmelia'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to GracieNAmelia'sMommy
I am going to try and attempt the cloth diaper rout this time as well. I am hoping I am stick to it this time

April 22nd, 2014, 07:33 AM
CanadianMom2B's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a FTM but we have 28 bumgenius newborn we bought used and I bought 24 Bumgenius 4.0 for when she grows out of the newborn. Bought the velcro for newborn and snaps for 4.0. I was told they're a lot harder for them to pull off when they get a little older. I chose bumgenius because they seem to be the top name in the cloth diaper game. That being said I have heard from many people buying a variety is a good idea that way that don't have the elastics in the same place all the time and as they grow you may find certain diapers become your go to at that particular size. Now after saying that I did find that there are quantity breaks depending on how many you buy.

April 22nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran
We used GroVia Hybrids with our first. Our son was particularly sensitive to pee so we had to have about 45 inserts. He only rarely peed out of them and they contained poop really well.

This time around, we are going to try Kissaluvs fitteds with our GroVia covers for the early months, since the GroVia soaker pads didn't really fit until about 3 months (but they still fit our 2 year old, so we got our money's worth!).

I would suggest getting a trial pack with a few different brands and then trying them out on your newborn to see what works before stocking up. thegreennursery.com is my favorite website for cloth diapering and such--a local business with super fast shipping and some of the best customer service on the planet!

My husband hooked up a sink hose to our toilet as well. You can find DIY videos online and it saved us about 20 bucks.
April 22nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree about getting a sample from various brands - each baby is so different! I ended up loving prefolds with covers from birth to about 6 months or so. I have 36 prefolds and 6-8 covers (Thirsties size 1) and do diaper laundry every 2-3 days.

Style of diaper is a a personal preference. I thought I would love the all in ones, but I ended up preferring pocket diapers for older ages so you can easily customize the absorbancy. I typically use my prefolds or microfiber cloth to stuff my pocket diapers. There are so many great options - a class or even some friends who have cloth diapered before are great resources!

April 23rd, 2014, 01:41 PM
chihuahuaesque's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm going to put a few different types of cloth diapers on my registry and hopefully I'll get some variety. Unfortunately, buying a higher quantity does give a price break, so I will probably get ~12 of the same type and just hope they work for us.

I'm excited about the cloth diaper class- hopefully I'll be able to see and learn about a few different types. I am actually very excited about cloth diapering. Cloth diapers are absolutely adorable and will create so much less waste.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search