Cervical Scar Tissue

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By butterflydamsel
  • 1 Post By softbreeze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK so last night our Bradley coach remembered something she had failed to mention in last weeks class. She said that if any of us women had Cryo's or LEEP procedures before, that it was highly likely that we had some scar tissue on our cervix. She had known a few students in the past that were given C-sections due to "failure to progress" and when asked - they had all undergone one or more of these procedures in the past. Apparently, the scar tissue can actually stall labor by preventing the cervix from completely dilating but this is a fixable issue where the doctor or nurse should be able to go in and "scrape" the scar tissue off, often resulting in sudden return of progress.
In one of her students cases, she was devastated to learn that she might have had the vaginal birth she had hoped for had her doctor simply mentioned this to her (having been the OB that performed the cryo - he was well aware she had the procedure performed in the past). When the OB was confronted, he said he had thought of it but decided against it as she was "a bleeder". This of course made no logical sense as to why you wouldn't be comfortable scraping a little scar tissue off a cervix of a "bleeder" but you would be fine performing major abdominal surgery on her.... Any who.
Has anyone heard of this? I am fairly certain that when I was 18 I had a cryo or LEEP if not both performed for some abnormal cells on my cervix and from what I read, its pretty much guaranteed I have scarring of my cervix from this but it is not something that can be determined until labor has started and the cervix is somewhat open.
In some of the articles I've seen today, it is even suspected that insertion of IUD's can cause similar scarring.
I am eager to bring this up with my midwife next week at my appointment, because I want to be sure they know how to handle this situation.

Has anyone's Dr/Midwife brought this up before?

April 23rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never heard of this nor has anyone brought it up at my appointments (not that they would since it's not on my medical history). That is really good info for anyone this might affect though!

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 23rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
razorbackmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not sure what the technical terms for it would be but I had a cervical scrape done when I was young to remove some abnormal cells and I progressed just fine with DD.. I was at a 4 when I ended up having to have pitocin but it was nothing to do with not progressing, we just had to have a baby and fast so that I could be treated for HELLP syndrome. My doctor never mentioned it would be an issue and it wasn't.

April 25th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Veteran
So I looked this up in the research field. The primary reason for FTP is a malpositioned baby (i.e., sunny-side up), and in my experience as doula I would agree that is the case, so if you are worried about FTP, then go visit the spinning babies website and learn how to belly map!

In other good news, ACOG just changed the definition of FTP to give mothers more time for labor AND pushing, which hopefully means there will be fewer diagnoses of FTP and fewer c-sections as a result.

The research on cervical scar tissue is limited. There is basically one study out there, and it is not even that good--they don't take into account fetal positioning and the study was extremely small, in one hospital. The study did say there was a link between cervical scar tissue and FTP, but again it wasn't the world's best study. If you google it, you will find a lot of anecdotal stories, but when you read them you will note that the doctors in these instances did not recognize scar tissue as the cause of FTP. Also, many of these websites suggest pre-massaging the cervix with various oils, including evening primrose, which has not been proven to be safe, and may even be dangerous for some women.

If you are truly concerned about this, you should really talk to your care provider. They may have more access to info and treatment options. That being said, I had a treatment done on my cervix years ago and it had NO trouble dilating with my first!
JennyLee and VallyD like this.
April 26th, 2014, 11:32 PM
softbreeze's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a cyro and leep procedure done when I was 19 due to abnormal cervical cells, and during labour of my first daughter, I couldn't dilate past 3cm, my contractions were one on top of another and my body just wasn't able to dilate any further. They couldn't understand why. Fortunately the delivering dr asked if I had ever had either procedure done in the past and when I said yes, she seemed relieved. She did what she called a manual dilation she used her fingers and lite really streatched my cervix to help release the scar tissue that was binding it. It did not hurt a bit, but I instantly went from 3 cm to 9 cm just like that bit was very shortly after that that I was at 10 and delivered with no problem. With my second delivery, they had it noted on my chart about prior situation and watched for any restrictions with dilation and I had none. The dr said that once that initial scar tissue has released, it should not pose any further problems. They have noted it on my charts for this delivery as well just in case. Just make sure it's well noted on your charts and if you think to remember to mention it to whoever is doing your delivery, it shouldn't cause you any trouble.
Hope that helps!
butterflydamsel likes this.

Last edited by softbreeze; April 26th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
April 26th, 2014, 11:43 PM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dang I've had an IUD :/ I wonder if I will have this problem
April 27th, 2014, 06:33 AM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
This board is fantastic - great info ladies!
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!