Laundry Soaps and Softeners??

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spottts
  • 1 Post By CanadianMom2B
  • 1 Post By RhiettaP

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
CanadianMom2B's Avatar Super Mommy
So as the nesting instinct has begun kicking in around our house the time is coming nearer to wash up our fluff stash, baby clothes and blankets. I know with the cloth diapers they get really particular about what detergents and their contents you can use and can't. If I wasn't CDing I would have thought nothing of throwing the baby clothes and blankets in with our wash. We use tide and Downey fabric softner.

What are you ladies doing?

May 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Dishersgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fabric softener is a no no with diapers and i really dont think it is necessary with baby cloths if you buy a CD safe detergent. (the softners has oils in it thats a huge no no so makes sure you wash your machine once in a while and run an empty rinse cycle before adding your diapers in for the soak)

Baby Due July 27
Guinevere 2 years old!
Trinity 3 years
Aric 9 years
Kendall 13 years

Holly 30 Benjamin 40

May 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
4 out of the 5 of us in the family have allergies and sensitivities to fragrances so the whole family uses a "free and clear" detergent. I don't have brand loyalty as they all work about the same and don't set off sneezes or hives. The baby will use the same stuff. Dreft makes me sneeze.

I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets for the same allergy reasons. Just handling a package of dryer sheets will set off a runny nose for me and itchy eyes. (Found out in late high school when I was a cashier) I've heard there are allergy friendly ones but I'm not willing to try them out. I don't mind the static cling in the winter.
ZeeWP likes this.
May 22nd, 2014, 08:09 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use a CD safe detergent that I buy in bulk on amazon (much cheaper) and use dreft on little little clothes, then switch to a free and clear for the kiddos. No fabric softener. if I feel blankets and the what not are stiff, I run a cycle with just vinegar (1cup) and baking soda (half cup) and it softens things up. I just don't like added dyes/scents with baby clothes, they're so sensitive.

May 22nd, 2014, 08:22 PM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All Free and Clear, cheap and worked for my first son just fine!
May 22nd, 2014, 08:27 PM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just made a batch of my own. Way cheaper than buying detergent.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 23rd, 2014, 06:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll probably just stick with Tide for detergent and Bounce for fabric softener. I've done it every way I can think of, lol. Dreft, several brands of free and clear detergents, I've made my own, etc. I'm not doing cloth diapers this time around so I don't have to worry about that. I just haven't found anything that gets clothes quite as clean as Tide so I'm sticking with it. I'll ditch the fabric softener if baby seems to have issues with it.

May 23rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran
We use 7th generation or Biokleen free and clear laundry detergent. Tiny Bubbles is also a great detergent for baby clothes and it is safe for cloth diapers. Plus, the bottles last way longer than traditional brands and they are safer for the environment. And, I don't have to worry about my baby's tender skin!
May 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Brandi0099's Avatar Veteran
Ive never used the washable diapers so I don't know how to wash them, but as for the baby cloths and blankets I just throw them in with our wash. I use Gain Laundry soap and Downy softener. I've never had any problems doing this so it never made sense to buy the expensive baby laundry soap.
May 23rd, 2014, 11:04 AM
CanadianMom2B's Avatar Super Mommy
I seriously never would have thought to change the laundry routine for LO. One of my GF actually suggests after washing receiving and swaddling cloths sleeping with them for a night. When she said it I was like what and then she said the baby will find mom's scent more comforting than fabric softener.
Dishersgirl likes this.

May 23rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
We got a super easy recipe for making our own laundry soap and it's CD safe and works like a boss. Agreed- no softener on your CDs

I think it will take us about 2 years to use this batch of laundry soap! Hahaha
May 23rd, 2014, 04:02 PM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
No cd'ing here, so we just switched to free and clear.

May 23rd, 2014, 07:13 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was with ALL clear and free and don't use ANY fabric softeners or dryer sheets in the dryer with my CD's....with clothes I don't use fabric softener but I do us free and clear dryer sheets.
KDeats likes this.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
May 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We use purex on clothes and I use the cheapest additive free detergent on my CDs.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search