How are moms of newborns doing?

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Spottts
  • 1 Post By lea23
  • 1 Post By Spottts
  • 2 Post By mstee511
  • 1 Post By VallyD
  • 2 Post By laleighpop

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since we have a few moms who have given birth I thought I'd start this thread.

How is your sleep? Baby's sleep?

How is baby eating?

How is your post birth recovery going?

How are you emotionally, etc?
*~Amber~* and VallyD like this.
July 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I could use sleep. Baby sleeps great through. My allergies kicked it into high gear so I've had a sinus headache for three days even with meds. My back and neck are tense and sore. With my headache, neck and back hurting I sleep like ****. I'm so tired I can't bring myself to pump in the middle of the night even though I need to.

Even though Penny latched on in the hospital, like a vacuum, her positioning wasn't the greatest I found out later. Saturday night was excruciating pain while nursing. DH saw my nipples were cracked and had areas of dried blood. I started giving Pen some formula. Sunday morning I bought a manual breast pump and lanolin. Sunday night my SIL brought me her electric breast pump. Pumping was better and didn't hurt but I saw I was bleeding which freaked me out. Monday night my breast pump came in the mail so I started using it.

Aside from my head, back and neck my body is doing well. Boobs are almost healed - I think. The downstairs area doesn't hurt at all.

Emotionally I've been okay except feeling like a let down the baby by going to pumping. But, I already did better than I expected so DH helped me feel better.
July 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
How is your sleep? Baby's sleep? My sleep is broken. I find myself waking up 50-11 times a night just to check his breathing. He sleeps fine though. Lol as long as I let him fall asleep on my chest first. Then I move him to his own spot on the boppy pillow next to me and he sleeps through the night....and sometimes all day after feeding.

How is baby eating? He fights me when it's time to eat. I'm suffering from sore scratched up nipples and low milk supply. As a result he can't poop on his own. He's lost lots of weight and hasn't gained back ANY birth weight. I think he's about a pound away from being one of those starving Somalian children

How is your post birth recovery going? Some days it feels like I've been kicked in the crotch. After walking for periods of time, I feel like I've been straddled to a bull for hours and it hurts to walk. The Bleeding has slowed down a lot.
How are you emotionally, etc? I am frustrated and worried that he will starve and I will have to switch to formula and that something might be seriously wrong since he hasn't been able to poop without the help of suppositories. I have cabin fever.
Honestly I just want to cry. *sigh* don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I'm finally a mom....but I'm stressed out and frustrated.

My baby boy!

July 8th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you are both doing well for the most part! It sounds like you are both concerned with breastfeeding. I found a support group in my area that has a facebook page that is absolutely amazing. They help answer questions, concerns, everything! Trust me you are not alone with the boob struggle. I highly recommend finding a group in your area that can help support you and your little ones with breastfeeding.

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
lea23's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottts View Post
Since we have a few moms who have given birth I thought I'd start this thread. How is your sleep? Baby's sleep? How is baby eating? How is your post birth recovery going? How are you emotionally, etc?
In general my sleep is very dependent on the baby. She sleeps mostly during the afternoon and is up most of the night. The worst night was the second night when she cluster fed and I was not ready for that mentally. It is a bit better now that my milk has came in but it is a learning curve.

She is eating well. I am hoping that she is at least back to birth weight by the time we go to her appointment.

Post birth recovery is going well. I had an amazing team of doctors and so I am recovering well. TMI alert: I was terrified of the first bowel movement (BM) and so when it came to the point when I could no longer not go I was unsure of how that would be. As it turns out the BM was not too bad and the stool softeners were a great necessity.

Emotionally, I am in love. As much as I love my sleep, I am ok with her waking me up because she needs to eat or needs her diaper change. I honestly did not think she would have this effect on me. I was initially terrified of motherhood, but there is nothing like it.
VallyD likes this.

July 8th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Veteran
How is your sleep? Baby's sleep? I enjoy every minute of sleep I can get after only have 3 hours in four days while at the hospital. Three hours straight feels amazing. Last night was our best yet, 3, three hour chunks!

How is baby eating? Amazing! She is a great, fast eater. Peeing and pooping machine. Back up to birthweight already. Boobs feel great now that the engorgement phase is done. Nipples are fine! woo

How is your post birth recovery going? Okay... I had a second degree tear and an episiotomy (because she was in distress). It took me 5 hrs to push her out, so my down there is quite sore. I feel a little better every day. The pain usually catches up with me at night. I still have to take Ibuprofen and Tylenol around the clock.

How are you emotionally, etc? Pretty good. I'm so in love. She has the best Daddy ever too. He's so cute. I love our little family!

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...#ixzz36uhOYKtD

July 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
I love everyone's updates!

Sorry about the struggles you guys are having. I think you guys are handling it great!

July 9th, 2014, 09:57 AM
JennyLee's Avatar TTC #1 after loss
I don't want to jinx myself, but my baby is so good so far! We had one bad night when she would not stay asleep if we put her down, but she has slept for 4-5 hour stretches every other night.

I feel like she's eating well, but she's not quite gaining weight well enough yet (7 lbs at pediatrician yesterday, up from 6 11.7 at discharge), so we have a weight check next week. I have plenty of milk (I can pump 6 oz in 15 minutes after feeding her), but my nipples are still really sore I may need to get some help for that.

I'm still sore from my 2nd degree tear, but it's getting better. I'm taking ibuprofen, but I quit the Percocet.

My only problem emotionally is dreading going back to work
TTC #1 since 1/11, Unexplained Infertility
M/C 2/12
Polyp Removal 11/12
4 failed IUIs

IVF #1
Started stims 9/27
ER 10/8 - 24 eggs, 15 fertilized!
Blast transfer 10/13, 4 snowbabies
Very faint 10/18 (5dp5dt)
Beta #1 10/23 - 339!!!
Beta #2 10/25 - 856!!!
U/S 11/14 - Heart rate 144!

Abigail arrived 6/28/14!

My Belly Pics
July 9th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Timica,

Penny was having a hard time going poo on her own. I knew through bottles (BM and formula) she was eating. She only goes once a day, maybe 2x, so far once we left the hospital.

Not sure if you've tried this but it's what I do to get Penny to go. I rub the lower part of her belly, under the belly button. If you're doing it on yourself if it would left to right in a circular motion. Since baby will be lying down mirror of you, do it right to left in a circular motion. It's supposed to stimulate the bowels. Then during a diaper change use the wipe and rub baby's rectum for a few seconds. The lactation consultant told me that one. It takes a few minutes of the tummy rub to get things going for Pen. After she does the first poo, I wipe her making sure do a wipe across the rectum. She'll go up to 6 more times after this.
mstee511 likes this.
July 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
hoping and waiting's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottts View Post
I could use sleep. Baby sleeps great through. My allergies kicked it into high gear so I've had a sinus headache for three days even with meds. My back and neck are tense and sore. With my headache, neck and back hurting I sleep like ****. I'm so tired I can't bring myself to pump in the middle of the night even though I need to.

Even though Penny latched on in the hospital, like a vacuum, her positioning wasn't the greatest I found out later. Saturday night was excruciating pain while nursing. DH saw my nipples were cracked and had areas of dried blood. I started giving Pen some formula. Sunday morning I bought a manual breast pump and lanolin. Sunday night my SIL brought me her electric breast pump. Pumping was better and didn't hurt but I saw I was bleeding which freaked me out. Monday night my breast pump came in the mail so I started using it.

Aside from my head, back and neck my body is doing well. Boobs are almost healed - I think. The downstairs area doesn't hurt at all.

Emotionally I've been okay except feeling like a let down the baby by going to pumping. But, I already did better than I expected so DH helped me feel better.

Have you tried a nipple shield? I had a serious problem with cracking, bleeding and chapping with my second child and I found that using lanolin, nipple shields and pumping sometimes worked great wonders in getting me healed, toughened up and back on track. Good luck and congratulations again to you and all the rest of the girls!!

Last edited by hoping and waiting; July 9th, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
July 9th, 2014, 04:06 PM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
I've started drinking Mothers Milk Tea and taking fenugreek capsules. I only started yesterday and by the middle of last night, I woke up to my right boob leaking...good sign. And when I fed him today, after he let go of the nipple, there was still milk on his mouth.

Also, not sure if the tea had anything to do with this, but company showed up at the most inopportune time, so I had to supplement with formula while they were here. Not long after finishing, his dad came in and held him for a bit and all by himself, he pooped all over his poor father.. Lol He'd been trying for a couple of days since I stopped the suppositories. There have been poop spots in his pampers for the last 3 days.

We will see how things progress with the tea and capsules though. Hopefully he will gain some weight in the next few days.
meld10 and Spottts like this.

My baby boy!

July 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first son poop was an event to be celebrated in our house. He. Never. Pooped. He was formula fed so I can't really give advice but just letting you know I know where you are at lady! Never been so excited about poop in my life until I had him lol.
mstee511 likes this.
July 10th, 2014, 12:45 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Been trying my ****edest to sit down with the laptop for days so here is a stab w the cell while feeding...

How is your sleep? Baby's sleep?
I feel fine but today MIL & DH got onto me bc I haven't been resting enough. Even before Lincoln arrived I only slept in 2-3 hr increments so it's either not an issue or I'm still running on adrenaline. Perhaps adrenaline I was soorly lacking at the birth!
3x in the last 2 days we've had to actually wake him up once hitting the 4+ hr mark bt feedings... But other than that he's been cluster feeding & it's been rough.

How is baby eating?
He eats great! Latched on right after birth & I credit HIM with stopping my hemorrhaging since my body generally wasn't responding to the copious amounts of pit being pumped into my IV.
My like came in yesterday & he's been eating great! His poops were so frequent he lost 12oz by the pedi appt Tuesday so his circ was scheduled pending some weight gain. The lac consul fr birth center came by today & he was already up 2oz since the milk came in so we should be good tomorrow.
One concern is this kids sucking... He came out of the womb with suck blisters on both hands & has proceeded to suck my nips clear off ever since! He throws fits when taken off the boob... Like all out melt downs. This has made it hard for me to tell diff bt cluster feeding & pacifying & means he's pretty much only happy when sleeping or on the boob
He is crazy strong & holds his head up & I swear even stood up when we were still at hospital!

How is your post birth recovery going?
I'm fine... Was brave enough to look at the epi stitches & WOW what a cut. Had 1st BM & still taking IB & Tylenol. Bleeding is light.
How are you emotionally, etc?
  • My mom has been hell & is coming to stay with us tomorrow. We pretty much haven't spoken through the birth or after & the entire family is fed up with her. But that's another story...

I miss u girls somethin awful & have a hell of a birth story but it'll have to wait... This kid just fed in 35 min & pulled himself off!!!!! Let's try this sleeping in bassinet thing vs Grammy's arms....

Night!

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...#ixzz3732HN0e7

July 10th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Super Mommy
Babies hate their back bc their underdeveloped tummies don't do well with gas. Plus they scream and grunt all the time when uncomfy. I hear it's a preemie thing. I'm so ready to be done with this stage.

I've slept good since our baby nurse has been here, but she leaves today and I'm scared crapless. I've learned a lot though so this I am blessed.

Both boys are now above 5 lbs and I am so proud of them.

I got two weeks to recover while they were in the NICU. So I feel great

The boys actually nurse really well. And seeing they are gaining weight I know they aren't burning more calories than they are taking in. I do have to supplement as my milk supply when I pump is crap, but I've weighed them pre and post BF and they take as much as they would in a bottle so that's good

Spots my baby nurse who is also a midwife sad to sun your nipples for 15 min a couple times a week and that should help the cracking

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search