*SIGH* Don't know what to do....

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By rachoochoo2
  • 1 Post By mstee511
  • 3 Post By mstee511
  • 3 Post By mstee511

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2014, 10:20 PM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
We went to the doctor today. Demitri STILL has not regained any weight. He was weighed today and weighed 7.92lbs (down from 7.94 last Tuesday).

I think the poop is getting on track now...he had streaks in a couple of his pampers today and then this evening he had 2 explosive poops in less than 2hrs. Bothe watery, yellow and a bit seedy.

However, it seems he's never finished eating now. I nurse on each breast for at least 15 mins. Even give him a bit of formula AFTERWARDS and he finishes the whole 2oz bottle and STILL opens his mouth to turn and look for the breast.

I'm exhausted....

My baby boy!

July 11th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Bluesstarz2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our lactation consultant told us today it could take two weeks for baby to regain weight. What is doctor saying

July 12th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
It can take a while.

I would also up your fat intake to make your milk fattier, a LOT of women do this who nurse.

Three top things to eat: oatmeal (just great in general for milk production), coconut oil (cook with it, put it in your coffee or w/e, just something) and avocados.

That should plump him right up.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 12th, 2014, 02:36 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
do not let ur ped psych you out. they did the same to me... keep nursing him and he will be great.
July 12th, 2014, 03:27 AM
Veteran
He might need to nurse longer, too. I re!ember feedings taking 45 minutes with my first. It is exhausting and it does feel constant. I settle up with some good books to pass the time!
July 12th, 2014, 09:01 AM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Doesn't seem like a big weight loss to me from what I've read from others but what do I know!
July 12th, 2014, 09:50 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
The lady at LLL told me that when they're that young if they're awake, they're hungry. Cluster feeding is totally normal and he's at a nice weight - I had 9lb baby and I had the exact same thing happen. Hang in there.
July 12th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if this us recommended but when my nipples/breasts need a rest I feed Penny the bottle first. Then I nurse her on both sides if I can. The bottle doesn't put her to sleep but nursing does. If she's awake, she wants to eat - no matter what.

Today she nursed 10 min on one side, 15 min on the other. 15 minutes later I had DH give her a 2oz bottle of breast milk be a use she was still acting hungry. She was so tired but couldn't fall asleep. 45 minutes after she finished the bottle she wanted to eat again so I hooked her back up to the boobs. She only ate from one side then fell asleep.

If she has formula I'll let her go up to 4 hours without eating again. If she's just had breast milk then I'll only let her go 3 hours and then wake her.
July 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran
A couple of my friends posted this article today. It talks about the constant demand for feeding and what it means.

Breastfeeding: debunking that

Ftr, my newborn just cluster fed for an hour and a half, switching sides every 30 minutes
July 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Weight loss is normal and your pedi will freak you out over it. Just nurse, nurse, nurse. It will feel like you are doing it around the clock and that is ok! It's normal. It sucks, literally but once he starts gaining that weight back he will slow down a little and you will get more breaks between and get onto something resembling a slightly more regular schedule.
butterflydamsel likes this.

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2
July 13th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Yea, the last couple of days he's been feeding longer on one breast...about 20 mins then he falls off into a cat nap...wakes up 30-40 minutes later and then I give him the other side and he feeds for about 15 mins and falls back to sleep.
razzledobe likes this.

My baby boy!

July 14th, 2014, 05:51 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lincoln cluster fed trying to get my milk to come in. Once it did, we were still dealing with an orally fixated baby with a super strong sucking reflex. I had to watch him for when he would just stop nursing & start just pacifying himself on the breast. Based on the lactation consiultants advice we gave in to a soothies pacifier. Because my nipples were wearing out quickly bt his strong suck & constant need for something in his mouth, I would massage my breast for let down while he nurses remembering to break for burps bc I can def hear him chugging now.
When he falls asleep after only one breast, I wake him up with a diaper change, stripping him down naked, a cool cloth or even rubbing lotion all over him. Once he's alert again, we resume nursing.
He went from 8lbs 13oz to 8lbs 1oz in the first 48 hrs but his cluster feeding on colostrum had my milk in soon & he's been gaining an oz / day roughly with 15-20 of REAL nursing in each breast every 2-3 hrs. Maybe once a day he sleeps long enough to hit the 4 hr mark & I have to wake him.
Just now he started laying off, so I'm massaging my breast & he's back to actively swallowing. Otherwise he'd drift off with my boob in his mouth & we'd be back at this in 40 min!

July 14th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Wow Laura! Lol I'm grateful whe he falls off to sleep even after just one boob. That gives me time to pee and eat before he wakes up. Lol

I fed him one boob this morning at about 6:30, he was done by 7, he went back to sleep and so did I. He woke me up an hour or so later and I gave him the other one. He was on that for about 20 mins and drifted back to sleep. He's been sleep for a bit over an hour now. That gave me time to go downstairs and make my tea, straighten up and even come back upstairs and shower and brush my teeth. He's still sleeping. I will wake him in a few minutes after I have breakfast.

BF has been out of town for work since Wednesday and won't be back until tomorrow...my cousin moved out so it's just been us two. I can't tell if he's gained any weight, but we are now pooping regularly which is a huge relief. I'm guessing that means he's getting plenty to eat.
Yay for Mother's Milk Tea and Fenugreek capsules. Lol
Earthy.Mama, meld10 and Spottts like this.

My baby boy!

July 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
yeah Verity is a little jaundiced and had temp control issues when she was born. Sooo, feeding her is important. Except I have the baby who wants to SLEEP all the time. Thankfully I think my milk came in/is coming in and last night she kept us up by feeding all night. I just need her to pee a few more times!

July 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
No way is he 3 weeks already wow!
July 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM
ZeeWP's Avatar First Time Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzledobe View Post
No way is he 3 weeks already wow!
I thought that as well!

July 16th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Yep...3weeks already!!

Good news tho....he's finally started gaining. Went to the doctor today for his PKU prick and a weight check.....he weighed in at 8.10lbs. The slight jaundice he had is fading. He's got a bit of diaper rash tho. Those Pampers Swaddlers have this mesh inside that sticks to his butt and his testicles. I'm gonna switch to Huggies Little Snugglers...I had some in the beginning that seemed to be more comfortable for him.
Earthy.Mama, VallyD and Spottts like this.

My baby boy!

Last edited by mstee511; July 16th, 2014 at 06:56 PM.
July 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran
Glad to hear it is working out for you and he is putting on weight.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search