zofran fail.

Forum: Due Date Club of August 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of August 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2014, 08:05 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
after my b6 made me break out, and unisom and phenergan knocked me out, i was left with a few barely-touched prescriptions and nothing to calm my nausea and vomiting. so at my 16 week appt, they gave me zofran.

and after two doses, i got badly constipated--- which is quite a drastic switch from the diarrhea i've been dealing with since before my bfp. i didn't even know that was a side effect, so i googled zofran. hey, did you know it's ***not*** considered safe to take zofran during pregnancy? fantastic.

i hate taking medication of any kind, especially during pregnancy and while breast feeding. and these experiences are making it really hard for me to trust my obgyn. i understand that some medications, while not totally safe during these times, have benefits for the mom that outweigh risks to their babies. but that *can't* be the case here! even if i'm nauseous all the time and vomiting, im still gaining weight and not dangerously dehydrated, so why put my child at risk! i'd honestly rather be puking 24/7 than hurt my baby.

and honestly, at my very first appointment, the ob i met with said something that i know to be completely wrong--- i was telling her that i had conceived right after my first and only post partum period. i said that i had a 12 day luteal phase the month before (which ended with that period), and she "corrected" me, saying that all women always have a 14 day luteal period. whaaaat??!! ...that's just incorrect, lol.

i don't know why i listened to them after that, at all. im just going to trust my own research from now on.

March 25th, 2014, 09:20 AM
lms22's Avatar Veteran
Zofran causes TERRIBLE constipation. I would strongly advise you not to take it unless you are also drinking tons of water and also possibly taking Colace at the same time. My first trimester was a nightmare because of all the zofran related constipation issues (constantly had to use enemas, laxatives, etc.). Thankfully the constipation went away in the second trimester because I am feeling better, Im more active, and I'm drinking tons of water.

As far as risks, I take a very, very low dose. Only 4 mg per day. No study has been able to conclude 100% that it is safe or not safe, but I imagine if there were any problems, it would be from taking a higher dosage. I took it every day during my second pregnancy and my daughter has always been healthy as a horse. I have taken it every day since 6 weeks with this pregnancy and this is the first time I haven't had hyperemesis with a pregnancy.

You have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks, just like with any other medication. For me, the amount of stress it causes me to be nauseated and throwing up 24 hours a day, especially when I'm in school full time, working, and raising 2 other kids, is not something I can tolerate. I don't want to harm my baby by being under constant stress, so I take the zofran.

And something else to consider - the correlations between zofran and possible birth defects (cleft palate, etc.) are in structures that have already fully formed in your baby at this point.
March 25th, 2014, 09:30 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
see, that makes sense to me-- for you the benefits outweigh the risks. you have to be out and about during the day. but for me, while my nausea is still really bad, im a stay at home mom, and the vomiting is sorta starting to ease up. and i told the ob that. so in my case, it TOTALLY sucks, but i can manage, so it doesnt make sense to take the risk. it just woulda been nice to know i was taking a risk before i took the stuff! when i was looking to see if constipation was caused by the zofran, everything i read said it's for nausea caused by surgical procedures and chemo, and to not use it during pregnancy.but man, i can't believe the constipation-- you'd think they would have mentioned that to me, lol. i drink a ton of water, i'm the one that literally carries around a gallon of water, and i still had issues. anyway, thankfully, it went away on it's own a few days after my second and last dose. i guess the zofran left my system.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search