does your ED or recovery affect how you feed LO(s)?

Forum: Mommies With an Eating Disorder

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With an Eating Disorder LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was just curious if looking from a different perspective you find yourself feeding your kiddo's differently either b/c of recovery or a current ED?

If i was super honest - i would say yes, i let my DS eat pretty much what he wants when he wants ... i'm sooo worried about him being hungry - i also - if i'm honest - grocery shop way more than i need to - i always want to make sure there is food available for my family. And now i'm totally freaked out about my daughter and whether she'll have an ED....and if my still craziness about food but in a different way will affect her...my mom kinda did the same thing. I'm having a hard time mentally with loosing the baby weight and wanting it gone now...so i've been trying to monitor my head and in doing so i got to thinking about my behaviors even when i'm in recovery. I def keep healthy food in the house but i also keep cr*p food too. i don't want my DS or DD to be either overweight or underwieght or any form of ED and i'm affraid that my grocery's issues is going to cause an issue.
September 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
I have mixed feelings about everything, I never want her to go through the things I went through and felt but she's going to be pretty tall, we think. At 22 months she's 42 pounds and 40 something inches tall - so I worry about how her self image is going to be.

I do find myself looking at the nutrition facts and stuff on what I give her, out of habit but I don't keep her from anything she wants but I'm in a weird place because I have to watch what she eats. Urg it sucks when it begins to trigger all these thoughts that I don't want to be there.

September 4th, 2010, 04:07 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Nope, I do not let my previous issues with an ED affect what I feed my son. I refuse to pass on negative food attitudes. I keep all kinds of food in the house and he eats a wide variety of it. Granted, it is still under my control right now, since he is so little. But I don't check labels or restrict how much he eats. I also don't encourage him to eat if he is not hungry. I want to allow his body to dictate how much he wants and I feel that messing with that system would do more harm than good.

I also don't let my husband talk about weight, calories, or anything else in that regard. Part of that is for me, I don't need to be hearing about it. But part of it is that I don't want my son growing up to think that he needs to lose weight or watch calories. I want him as innocent as possible, as long as possible. It would break my heart if he felt the self-hatred I did, so I want to encourage a positive body image in both words and actions. I don't even plan to tell him about my past. I don't think he needs to know anything besides that we have some addiction in our family. And even that can wait til much, much later.
September 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Super Mommy
I keep only long cooking time (45 min. or longer) snacks, food and quick healthy snacks. We only keep enough dishes for one meal. I cook snacks once a week. We cook only portion size meals. We make cooking a family event, It also helps me and DH realize how well I'm really doing. We shop only once a week. We do all this so cooking and cleaning is not as overwhelming to us.
September 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thats great ladies!!!
September 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't do any "junk" food in the house but once a week. And then I buy cheeseballs. Those are the only junk food we do. We have all fresh veggies and fruit. Yogurt, cheese sticks, whole grains, and egg whites. My son hates fried food, and won't even touch fast food. So I guess in some sense I'm teaching him good habits for later? I hope.
September 18th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son is SUPER picky!!! He only likes a few foods, and he refuses to try any fruits and veggies =(((( It upsets me... I offer them to him. And when I eat them, I say how yummy it is and ask if he wants to try, but he never does. =/ I was told that this is normal at this age (he's about to be 3), and he will grow out of it. So I pretty much just feed him what he likes, b/c I don't want him to be hungry, you know?

I weigh myself a LOT, and I have this weird habit of talking to myself, lol. I think b/c when I had my son, I was told to talk to him a lot... so I kinda got in the habit of just talking to myself, b/c he was a late talker, haha. But anyway, when I weigh myself, I find myself saying "ughhhhh mommy's fat." and..... he sees me weigh myself all the time.. and once or twice he's said "mommy's fat" while I was stepping on the scale. Sooo now I try not say anything at all about weight.... I don't want him to even know about "fat" at this age!!!! =( I feel so bad for even like introducing that to him... =(

I have to admit, he does not eat healthy at all =( But I don't want him to go hungry, so I let him eat the only foods he will eat: pb&j or mac n cheese, etc.

I hope he grows out of this picky stage, and starts eating fruits and veggies.... =(

Does anyone have older children who were picky eaters when they were little?? I am worried my son is going to be like this forever!!!! My ex (his dad) was like that. And he is in his 20s!!! He ate like a child: chicken nuggets, spaghetti, hot dogs.... he didnt like any type of vegetable.

But I mean... my son is growing and gaining weight, so I guess he is getting the nutrition he needs. I also give him a vitamin (when I remember... I'm kinda bad about that!!!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search