Thoughts on Zoloft and Pregnancy

Forum: Mommies With an Eating Disorder

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EmilyJ365

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With an Eating Disorder LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Veteran
Hi All
I am looking for some advice and feedback, stories, etc.
I am currently on Lexapro and slowly tapering off it with my doctors help. I am down to 5mg.
I am also trying to conceive my 1st child with DH.

My OB said that the safest thing for my baby would be for me to not be on any meds IF i get pregnant, but that if I need to be on something that Zoloft is the best and safest option for pregnant mothers and breastfeeding.

I obviously would prefer to be on nothing but have noticed that im getting very moody lately as im tapering off lexapro and im wondering if maybe going on a lowdose of zoloft is really the best option.

I know that once you conceive that your hormones go out of whack and I just want to do the safest thing for myself and my baby. My dr. said sometimes to ensure a calm mother (no anxiety) is to have her on zoloft during pregnancy as that (in some cases) is safer than being on nothing and potentially having really bad anxiety, stress, mood swings during pregnancy.

What do you all think? have any of you been on zoloft during and after pregnancy? Any feedback would be great.

I also suffer from bullimia but have had it under control for about 6 months now.
February 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I dont have any experiance with Anti depressants and preganancy, but i just wanted to say hi and welcome to the group, its pretty quiet but hopefully someone will have an answer for you

another place you might want to ask is on the mental health board here on JM, i think they are a bit more active than we are

February 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I fail at being around regularly (I forget to come down here a lot). Sorry it took a while to answer!

But I have taken Zoloft in both of my pregnanies. And plan to for any in the future (god willing). It is a pretty personal decision, since there are certainly positives and negatives to weigh out beforehand. It is good you are thinking about it before you even concieve.

For me, I decided not to take them in the first trimester. BUT, I had been in recovery for a couple years before I got pregnant and felt a little more secure that my moods could be seperate from my eating disorder. I would not have risked it if I was less than a year in recovery. I also see a therapist weekly, so I knew that anything I was having trouble with would be able to be addressed and I could potentially use other coping skills. That said, it was still a relief to start my meds again at 14 weeks.

My boys are healthy and perfect. I was way calmer and sane during my pregnancies than I would have been if I had not been taking the meds for the whole nine months. I really do think my boys benefitted from having a relaxed pregnant mom. And that they benefit from having a medicated mom in general. I get obsessed and edgy when I am not on my meds (I recently had an issue with different generics and have noticed the difference in my behavior, although not related to my eating disorder, which has been dormant for about 5 years now).

So again, it is totally a personal decision. But do what you need to do to be mentally healthy for your kids. It will benefit everyone. Good luck with TTC and your decision
February 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

I didn't take my meds well preggo or an alternative - however, my doctor said the same as yours. It's better to be on something like Zoloft then be struggling. And really once you hit the second trimester with a drug like zoloft the placenta will filter it out.
September 21st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Zoloft is dangerous when you're pregnant. It's one of the SSRI drugs that cause birth defects. I saw a ton of information on Zoloft and Paxil, etc. at Pill Injury Lawyer. Worth checking out if you are planning a pregnancy or you are pregnant and taking an SSRI
September 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Zoloft is NOT dangerous during pregnancy. It is the safest one around. A happy calm mother, is a healthy mother. I have taking zoloft through two pregnancies and had perfect children. Do not base decisions on your mental help based on ambulance chasers, your doctor has your and your babies best interest in mind! It is also a literal lifesaver postpartum!
Missa_Mae likes this.
September 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Super Mommy
The biggest concern with zoloft is low birth weight/trouble gaining weight in infants. I was on it during my 2nd pregnancy and now while bfing and he was 7.2 lbs when born and is now in the 71st percentile for weight. so as long as you are aware of that and monitor it, if you need it for your mental sanity definitely take it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search