Nursery post spin off

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By luckylucyrn1
  • 2 Post By angelinal09
  • 1 Post By amberbanegas
  • 2 Post By Jenn-F
  • 2 Post By FlyingFlower
  • 1 Post By amberbanegas
  • 1 Post By kto1111
  • 2 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By AviatrixMorgan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Confession -- I've not decorated a nursery for either of my children, and I have no plans to do so this time.

I love looking at nurseries, but it's just not been a need to have one, lol. I co-sleep with my babies for quite some time because of nursing ease. Ds1 was still sleeping in our room, but in his own bed and not nursing lol, when ds2 was born. They both stayed in our room until ds2 was around a year. Then we moved them into their bedroom, which they share.

I will co-sleep with this baby, too. If it is a boy, he will probably eventually move in and share room with his brothers. This allows us to keep a bedroom as a playroom. If it is a girl, she'll eventually have her own room.

Am I the only weird, no nursery, mom?
January 24th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I know a lot of people that plan beautiful nurseries that never get used, so I am thinking you are being practical . Though I don't do well with co-sleeping (even sleeping in the same room in a different bed) so my kids rooms do get used! This time around I won't do an elaborate nursery as we are renting our current house. But I don't think there's anything wrong with not doing a nursery if you know you won't use it.
amberbanegas and Jenn-F like this.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

January 24th, 2014, 10:27 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I never have had a nursery, for various reasons. Most recently because we have a lot of kids and only 5 bedrooms, lol. Usually, baby sleeps in a crib in our room until around age 2, then moves into a room with an older sibling (we usually base that arrangement on age, sex of children, how well they get along, and size of room). Right now, we have our 14/13 yo in one room, 6/7/9 yo in another (large room), 2/4 yo in another room, 1 yo is in a crib in our room, and we use another room for dh's office. We're adding at least one more room in the next year or so though (still won't be used as a nursery though).
MrsLat and Jenn-F like this.
January 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I am not big on co-sleeping either… I know some people who have 6-7 year olds that won't leave their parent's bed. That I do not like at all! I do let my kids sleep with me occasionally though. (maybe once every 3 months?) When they were newborns I would have them in my room but only after they woke for their 6 am feedings. I have never had a nursery either… However, We just bought a new home and I decorated Dj and Mimi's rooms… I left the 4th room completely WHITE and I have every intention of decorating it. (The only white room in the house! LOL, I went a lil crazy!)
Jenn-F likes this.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

January 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, you all will notice that I said that "I" co-sleep, not we, lol. Dh can't sleep at all with a baby in the bed. So, for my first ds I was up every 2 hours for several weeks to nurse. I was exhausted. Dh was exhausted from me getting up and down. Finally had the idea to drag an extra mattress out, put it on the floor and begin to co-sleep. Immediate relief from complete exhaustion, lol. With ds2, pretty much started out this way. Plan to do it again this time. I felt safer with the mattress on the floor than up on a bed. For me co-sleeping only lasts until baby is no longer waking every 2 or 3 hours to nurse. Unfortunately for ds1 that was until he weaned at 15 months! (Long story, food allergies)
amberbanegas and kto1111 like this.

Last edited by Jenn-F; January 24th, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
January 24th, 2014, 11:32 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're definitely moving between now and when this one comes. With any luck we'll be moving out of state and since we don't know the area we'll be renting for the first year so I won't be doing a nursery. We did one with DD and it was really cute. As for co-sleeping, I was adamant with DD that we didn't co sleep from day one because I didn't want to end up having her never leave. The first few nights were a disaster since she was awake and crying all night. Eventually we brought her into the bed and she slept fine and by I think 8 weeks she was sleeping through the night and in her own room. So I'll definitely co-sleep for the first few weeks. DH isn't allowed, he's too sound a sleeper and could easily roll over a newborn (or me for that matter).

DD- 4 years, May 2010
January 24th, 2014, 12:10 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
LOL. No I didn't catch the I and not the WE! LOL. I remember sleeping on the recliner the first couple days I was home because I had a C section so it was hard for me to sit up. My DH was overseas then so… It was SUPER hard! I can see how it is easier! My BFF is always complaining about how she doesn't get any sleep… She has 3 kids sleeping with (kicking) her all night! I tell her not to complain to me because she doesn't wanna hear, "Your bed is for you and your husband!" Poor fella is always on the couch! Her kids are 6, 5 and 1!!
kto1111 likes this.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

January 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I will definitely do a nursery! This time around, I probably won't go as crazy as I did for DD, but I did love her room and we have used it since Day 1 (even when she wasn't actually sleeping in there). We'll recycle the crib and rocker and maybe even the dresser though. So I may get to play with new stuff for DD also!

The one thing I won't do (again) is buy an expensive bedding set that includes a bumper. I did that purely for looks even though the bumper has been in the closet from the first day she slept there! What a waste!! And that's my reminder to everyone -- no bumpers in the crib. Only the breathable ones are safe.
Jenn-F likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
January 24th, 2014, 01:40 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No we won't have a whole nursery. I usually just end up decorating the wall the crib is against in my bedroom We just don't have enough bedrooms. And DH just graduated college and is job hunting so even if he were to get an awesome job, just with timing and moving, there is no way we would get one finished before baby came.

But I do love looking at them, and living vicariously though other ladies who get to decorate who nurseries

January 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
#1 I didn't do a nursery. We were moving right after he was born (since he was in the NICU that held up the move, DH had to go ahead and I stayed behind).

#2 we did do a nursery, but very basic. Our room at the time was too small to have him with us.

#3 I did a full on nursery that I love. We moved into this house in February and he was born in May.

#1 and #3 slept in our room for a while. #3 was about 9 months before moving to his room. I don't typically keep them in bed with us but just in our room.

I'm not sure what we will do this time. Baby born in September but the following May-July time frame we will be moving again (Ahh, love the military lifestyle :/ ). Since baby will probably still be sleeping in our room I'm not sure if we will do a nursery or not. If it's a girl I don't think I can restrain myself from doing so though lol!
Jenn-F likes this.
2 angel babies 2/2013 and 8/2013

January 24th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran
I think Co sleeping (sharing a room with your baby) is a great idea and many studies have shown that it decreases the risk of SIDS.

However, Co-Bedding aka sharing a bed with your baby is not safe sleep practice and can lead to a dead baby. Not to be a pest I know you all are very well educated and just want the best for our little ones. I have seen numerous babies in my career that have been rolled on by mom or dad and do not end up making it or they make it but will never be the same. Please be cautious and remember that we all think it won't happen to us.. However, I will always remember the look on those parents faces knowing that they killed their baby. Its horrific, so please just think about it!

sorry to be the Debbie Downer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search