Curious your thoughts on this flu I have

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AviatrixMorgan
  • 1 Post By ..Michelle..

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2014, 03:34 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel like I am complaining about having this flu over and over again so sorry in advance. This one actually isn't a complaint so much as curious as to what you all think. So I'm going on day 3 or 4 of it. I've had a low fever almost constantly. At this early stage of pregnancy I really really don't want to be taking tylenol or any medication even if it's safe. It just seems that so much is developing and I don't want medication in my body that doesn't need to be there. But I also don't want to fry the bean by being hot. I've basically been not taking anything unless the fever gets to about 101, then I take tylenol. Which do you think is better, having a fever or having medication in your system?

DD- 4 years, May 2010
January 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that a fever can be dangerous before the 8th week of pregnancy. So I would take the tylenol. But that is just me. I am there with ya feeling icky this weekend. Hope you get better soon

Here is an excerpt from Babymed.com:

Treating pain and fever
Pain is bad because it hurts. Fever is bad because it overheats the fetus. Fever is unhealthy for the fetus throughout pregnancy, but high fever in the first trimester is thought to be responsible for certain birth defects, including problems in brain and spine development. It's generally best to follow this rule: If you get a fever in pregnancy, take medications to bring it down, and if you cannot reduce your temperature, call your doctor.

Fever also increases sweating and fluid loss, so be sure to drink lots of cool fluids when you have a high temperature. Most pregnant women can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) throughout the pregnancy without a problem. If you are a heavy drinker (three or more drinks a day), you need to discuss this with your practitioner, not only because alcohol and acetaminophen can be a lethal combination, but also because drinking while pregnant has health implications for your baby. Ibuprofen is probably safe to take in the first and second trimesters, but it may cause problems for the baby's circulation after 32 weeks' gestation. Aspirin is usually not recommended in pregnancy. A persistent fever or severe illness in pregnancy always warrants a call to your doctor.
Zinc lozenges: Zinc lozenges (and more recently, nasal sprays) have been used to speed recovery from the common cold. Lower doses of Zinc are safe, but I'm not aware of any good information about the safety of using zinc lozenges while pregnant.
Echinacea tea: One study that looked at the use of echinacea during the first trimester found no increase in birth defects. It's generally considered safe for use in pregnancy, but you should be aware that it has not been tested extensively.

- See more at: Cold and Flu Symptoms in Pregnancy | BabyMed.com

January 24th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Eeek, ok bring on the drugs. Thanks for that!

DD- 4 years, May 2010
January 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd just call your OB's office and ask what their recommendation is. Hope you feel better soon! I've taken Tylenol a few times, I have a tooth that broke right after we found out I was pregnant that hurts sometimes, I'm trying to wait until the 2nd trimester to fix it but not sure if I'll be able to hold off :/
KHawk likes this.
2 angel babies 2/2013 and 8/2013

January 24th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatrixMorgan View Post
I'd just call your OB's office and ask what their recommendation is. Hope you feel better soon! I've taken Tylenol a few times, I have a tooth that broke right after we found out I was pregnant that hurts sometimes, I'm trying to wait until the 2nd trimester to fix it but not sure if I'll be able to hold off :/
I know, I even called my OB's to talk about this flu but I was primarily talking to her about what to do with my asthma. When I get a cold or flu if it gets to my lungs it gets serious really fast. So we were talking about that. And then kind of as an afterthought I was like "tylenol's ok right?" and she was like "tylenol's ok." Hmmm hopefully this will be gone by the end of the weekend so I won't have to call.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
January 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
Good Luck! I hope you will feel better. I am sure that by now you will have already had the tylenol! Make sure that you drink a lot of water, maybe Gatorade and rest as much as you can!

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

January 24th, 2014, 10:48 PM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even pedialyte can help keep you hydrated. It doesn't taste as good as Gatorade but has less sugar (if that's an issue).
I didn't know about the fever thing Valerie and how bad it could be to our little bubs! Thanks for sharing that info!!
amberbanegas likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search