Betas

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran
I'm just curious. I have seen several threads on Beta results, and good beta numbers. My doctors never told me a beta count. Is that unusual? I had an initial blood test to confirm pregnancy before my first prenatal, and more blood drawn at the prenatal. And apparently an early u/s because they thought i was 8 weeks, but i only measured 6 weeks in the u/s. Should I be asking about Betas? Or do they see everything they need to in the u/s?
January 24th, 2014, 08:55 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The beta numbers themselves do not actually matter- mostly. There is no such thing as a good beta or bad beta, the hcg being present in your blood will confirm the pregnancy and they just use the numbers to see if it is doubling- and the numbers do have to be at a certain number to even be able to see something on the ultrasound. Some women have very low numbers and have a healthy pregnancy, and some have very high numbers and lose the baby. It's a sticky business (obsessing over the #) and I think they probably didn't give you a number because everything is okay. I'm sure they would've said something if there were a problem! Try not to worry! *hug*

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014
January 24th, 2014, 09:34 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is completely normal for them not to draw betas. This is actually my first pregnancy ( out of 4 ) that they have. The only reason they did is because I have had spotting and they wanted to double check for possibly problems or a miscarriage. Even having good numbers, they are still doubling checking with an ultrasound.

Betas are really only a good indicator of how things are going very early in pregnancy (especially before they see stuff on an ultrasound). So now that you have had an ultrasound, I don't think they will order betas to be drawn. Ultrasounds show much more valuable information than a beta draw will. You would probably just be seen for a follow up ultrasound, if anything

And in future pregnancies, they probably won't draw them unless they had a specific reason (you have had previous losses, you are spotting, you are seeing a RE, etc).

January 24th, 2014, 10:39 PM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my betas drawn but didn't get my numbers either. On the 4th of Feb I go for my almost 10 week U/S and another blood draw. But no, my doc didn't tell me either and I've had a prior loss. I'd assume she would tell me if something were wrong or odd with them.

January 25th, 2014, 03:04 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
When I was in the Regular world of getting pregnant, I never had a beta result… But in the land of TTCMA… I meet the very important BETA! LOL. I think if they do not say anything… Then you are good to go. I had my first result because that is the silver lining to the 2WW… The second I had because of spotting and they wanted to ensure I was doubling. (I just lost a pregnancy last Nov with a Beta number of 19… 2 days later… Lower) Your beta must be high as they thought you were further along. Right?

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search