Worth it vs Waste

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2014, 02:42 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BTDT Moms:

What are some essential baby items for you? What turned out to be a waste of money?
Caerus likes this.

February 25th, 2014, 04:43 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Expecting #2
well to be honest most of the baby things i bought turned out to be a total waste of money... i went crazy with newborn, 0-3, 3-6, 6-9 outfits! it's silly how much clothes i have i have enough for quadruplets!
our vibrating bouncer turned to be a waste of money, we used it for maybe 2 months.
strollers! i own 4!! 1 for inside the house, 1 for everyday use (grocery shopping etc), 1 never leaves the car and a 3 in 1 (we only used the car seat & bassinet)
we also have a jumperoo, used it for maybe 3 months, once he started crawling he was over it.
i've spent way to much on baby items! but this used to be a life saver especially when DS was a tiny baby

February 25th, 2014, 05:06 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Biggest things I used and couldn't live without My Graco duo 2 in 1 swing/bouncy seat. It was the best bouncy seat every and the swing worked like gangbusters. I will be buying another one with this baby and the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper I loved I am using it again this time. It's one of the few things I still have that I haven't given or sold yet!
My Moby I adored it! I wish I hadn't loaned it out, because I will never see it again with who I loaned it to. Now I have to spend another $50 to get another one!

What was a waste? That's easy!
1. Diaper genie, More of a pain than it was worth!
2. Changing table. Great in theory but within a short period of time I just ended up changing where ever I happened to be.
3. Baby tubs. Some people do great with these but I never use them more than once. I just end up putting baby in the tube with me.

February 25th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Worth it:
Swing (although I had friends whose babies hated the swing!)
Car seat/ Infant carrier.
Changing table
Cloth diapers
Nuzzler Car Seat Covers | BabyPolarGear I LOVE that thing. I will get another if baby is a boy, or use my old one if she's a girl!
Cloth breast pads
Cloth Wipes

Waste:

burp cloths. I just ended up using receiving blankets. they cover more area...I found burp cloths weren't big enough!

Shopping cart covers. They were just more of a hassle than anything!

Baby shoes before they are walking. Useless and uncomfortable! As are denim jeans. My child hates them...and I felt way too guilty putting them on her. lol I like practical over cute..
myfav5 and kimberzzz like this.

February 25th, 2014, 05:33 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Worth it for us : video monitor, good stroller that lasts through toddler years, bouncy seat came in handy for play and feedings, sleep sacs.

Waste : baby bath tubs, swings, jumperS, changing tables.

}
February 25th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran
Worth it:
papasan swing
baby Katan (baby wearing- similar to Moby wrap)
double electric breast pump
hands free pumping bra
good nursing bras (bravado)
car seat cover (the ones for cold months- I understand the safety of these is disputed but they are so helpful)

Waste:
wipe warmer
changing table
shoes
shopping cart/high chair cover
too many blankets
diaper pail
February 25th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoCLJA View Post
Worth it:

car seat cover (the ones for cold months- I understand the safety of these is disputed but they are so helpful)
Shower-cap style ones like the Nuzzler I posted in my response are completely safe. It's just the ones that have fabric that go under the baby that are not safe at all.

February 25th, 2014, 06:45 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, for me, what's been worth it/waste has depended on the kid. For some, a swing has been a lifesaver; others have hated it. Overall though, ime:

Worth it:

Bouncer---all of my kids have loved this and it's so convenient for me as I can move it throughout the house as I move around.
Hands-Free carrier---this is definitely worth it for me, esp. when I' out with my other kids.
Playpen---I like the convenience of being able to fold it up and take it with us on weekend trips, etc.
Onesies or footie jammies---easy, easy, easy...easy to put on, easy to change, looks and feels like it'd be comfortable to wear.

Waste:

Diaper changing table---I'm just not that organized--baby gets changed wherever we happen to be at the moment; if that means in the living room, so be it.
Diaper Genie---as long as you throw the poop in the toilet and wrap the diaper tightly, there is no smell.
Cute clothing---I know; it's so hard to resist! My girls have TONS of dresses and they are often more of a pita than anything; I like to stick to onesies and footed jammies until they're about a year old.
Shoes---^see above

Last edited by angelinal09; February 25th, 2014 at 06:50 AM.
February 25th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
My Moby I adored it! I wish I hadn't loaned it out, because I will never see it again with who I loaned it to. Now I have to spend another $50 to get another one!

Not sure how you feel about Craigslist/used items, but it may be worth checking out. I sold mine on there for $10 and see them listed often for less than $20.
February 25th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran
After 9 kids dh and I have jokingly said the only things u need for a newborn are diapers, an ergo, a car seat, and onesies. The things I use at the house during the day r the bouncer I can carry it everywhere and put baby in it. The spinny walker type thing (forgot what they're caled at the moment our youngest was up all night) the ergo, and a tub. I like to take quick showers most of the time and newborns are too floppy and slippery to me ;-).

Oh, I also use a ton of blankets :-D
flitabout likes this.
February 25th, 2014, 08:03 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that I had that was a waste. Other than too many cute clothes in small sizes, I used everything I had. Things like the bouncy seat and jumparoo may have short life spans in terms of usefulness, but when you need it, you need it! If something can help keep me sane for one month, I want it. LOL

There were some things I thought would be a waste so I never bothered (and didn't miss) --

wipe warmer

changing table (we just had a changing pad on top of a regular dresser)

microwave sterilizer (bottles can go in boiling water or the dishwasher. and those Medela disposable microwave bags were perfect for sterilizing the pump parts)

baby food maker (stovetop steaming + a food processor will do the same thing. I think I only made baby food 3 or 4 times because I did such big batches. No need for another special gadget).

diaper genie (I didn't want one but got it as a gift anyway so we just went with it. I like it and think it works well, but the refills are kind of expensive)
Shades of Grey likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
February 25th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran
I agree with what many posted.

Waste:
-changing table not necessary (can be nice if you have one, but not needed)
-Diaper genie (not necessary...can just throw outside if stinky and refills are expensive)

Worth it:
-Swing (for our baby soooo nice! He slept in it for first several months and gave us more sleep)
-Bouncer (we bounced him while we ate and got stuff done. he loved it)
-Ergo baby carrier (still use it all the time! Can be front or back-pack. easy to get on and off and since it's built like a backpack, holds the weight on the hips, so it doesn't hurt. My baby didn't like it when he was really little, but liked it when he was older)
-PJs with feet (he'd take off the blankets and socks if he had them, so it kept him warm during the night)
February 25th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Caerus's Avatar Due in Sept 2014
Great question! I will follow this thread carefully, we want to avoid buying a lot of unnecessary stuff.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven
February 25th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK, I just have to say I love the idea of using a dresser with a changing pad instead of a changing table. I know that I will want a designated diaper changing spot, so I can't go without altogether. But a dresser with changing pad will just convert into a plain old dresser after diaper age is done!

Love this thread! Perfect for us first-timers
bandriessen likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah the diaper pad on top of the dresser was perfect. We had a basket next to it with all the diaper supplies.

The bouncer was the biggest waste of money ever. She never liked it.

The swing could be 10 million dollars and I would buy one. She was colicky for 6 months and it was the only thing that gave me even a 30 minute break in the evening. We discovered the swing when she was about 3 months old. I don't remember what we had but it was the kind that plugged in so we never had to recharge the batteries.

Also for a waste, buying the bedroom sets for the crib and all that. They come with bumpers and blankets which you never use. It's tempting because they look so cute but just buying separates makes a lot more sense.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
February 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
Worth it:
Papasan Swing
Wrap for baby wearing (We started with homemade then moved onto wovens, we still use them with our 2.5 year old.)
Nursing Pillow
Sleep Sacks
Receiving Blankets (Especially with a summer baby, we used them as sun covers, nursing covers, burp rags, swaddlers, etc.)
Mini Pack N Play (Perfect for hotel trips and fit next to our bed perfectly, easy to move around the house since it fits through doorways.)
Jumperoo

Waste:
Changing Pad
Glider
Bedding Set (Bumpers and Comforters aren't considered safe so the only useful thing is the sheets)
Stroller (For us)
Wipe Warmer
Diaper Pail
Play Mats (He prefered a blanket with toys)
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 25th, 2014, 01:36 PM
myfav5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to admit I am surprised so many of you do not use a changing table. I consider that an absolute must have. I like a clean, sanitary area to change baby. (Not that other areas aren't, but I disinfect this for diapering). And occasionally there are blow outs. I don't want those on my sofa or my bed. Plus it is nice to have everything organized and right there in one spot. For those that just change the baby anywhere, where do you keep the diapers and wipes and cream and hand sanitizer, ect? It just seems easier to go to the one location. Plus my changing table is the one with the dresser under neath, so the clothes are there too.

February 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfav5 View Post
I have to admit I am surprised so many of you do not use a changing table. I consider that an absolute must have. I like a clean, sanitary area to change baby. (Not that other areas aren't, but I disinfect this for diapering). And occasionally there are blow outs. I don't want those on my sofa or my bed. Plus it is nice to have everything organized and right there in one spot. For those that just change the baby anywhere, where do you keep the diapers and wipes and cream and hand sanitizer, ect? It just seems easier to go to the one location. Plus my changing table is the one with the dresser under neath, so the clothes are there too.
We used a plastic or cloth diaper changing pad. We keep diapers and wipes in a drawer. The pad was moved and cleaned after each use and we just washed our hands after changing. He never had a diaper rash so cream wasn't a concern.
myfav5 and kimberzzz like this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 25th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfav5 View Post
I keep diapers and supplies in our downstairs bathroom, upstairs, and in the van.
myfav5 likes this.
February 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes I found that an item was a good thing to have around, but springing for top of the line wasn't all that necessary. Like the pack-n-play. For me I didn't need it to play music, vibrate, have a night light (that thing wasn't bright anyway and broke before I could use it for the 2nd kid), a changing table, etc...Just the regular old pack and play that had a bassinet was all I needed. I like to have a changing station but I think the changing pad on top of a dresser makes way more sense. Then it's useful later!

I found a use for most everything but not always with each kid...my 1st son hated the swing and I thought it was a total waste of money but it was a godsend for my 2nd one. My 2 did not like the "pretty" bouncer, they liked the one that played entertaining music and had lights.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a rock and play sleeper, though it looks really handy...I have a one story house that will have a pack and play, swing, and bouncer easily available...not to mention the baby's crib. Lots of places to set the baby down, I really don't need another one....but I waaaannnnt one!
angelinal09 likes this.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search