lifting

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran
Hi Moms,

How seriously do you all take the advice of not to lift heavy things? My doctor told me that the only risk is for by back, not to the baby but I've heard stories of women lifting heavy items and tearing away their placenta. This happened to my mom when she was pregnant with me and was on bedrest for months after lifting something heavy caused her to bleed heavily. I have a toddler who is 30 pounds and I feel badly telling her that I can't carry her but I don't want to put the pregnancy at risk. Do you all lift your older children?
March 17th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any other children, so I have no insight on that front. I know that must be difficult though. I will say that I won't lift anything even remotely heavy because I do have that fear of separating the placenta. I even carry less groceries than normal right now. LOL

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 17th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran
I try to sit down before picking up heavier children
amberbanegas likes this.
March 17th, 2014, 01:27 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I was wondering the same thing. I'd even googled it the other day because I didn't understand how lifting could harm the baby and found the same as you (about hurting your back). Since DH works 24-hrs, I really have no choice but pick up 30-lb DD from time to time. I try and minimize it, but at the end of the day, I need to get her in her crib! I also just try and be cognoscente of lifting with my whole body, etc. Getting her in and out of her carseat is the hardest though. She can do it herself, but it takes forever sometimes!
amberbanegas likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
March 17th, 2014, 02:02 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I was going to say the same thing… Maybe if you could sit down and then hold your child. I did lift my son when I was pregnant with my daughter though… And everything was fine.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

March 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Maddy6912's Avatar Super Mommy
Lurking, but I live one the 3rd floor apartment and I have to carry my DD up the steps who is also 30lbs. When we get to the top my back hurts and my stomach. I hate it but I have to anyway. Im going to the doctor on Friday and will be bringing this up! Hopefully you get some answers

March 17th, 2014, 02:36 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Honestly, I've never paid much (okay, any) attention to the whole not lifting while pregnant (which is admittedly reckless in hindsight). However, this whole twin pregnancy has me being super cautious, in part because the one time I was pregnant with twins before, I miscarried at 14 weeks. So I'm heeding all advice to rest, take supplements, not lift, etc. which I've never really worried about before.
March 17th, 2014, 03:24 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I limit picking up DD but I still do it. But I have to pick up a 30 lb suitcase daily for work so I can't really avoid it. I guess I mostly just use it as an excuse to not pick up DD when she can walk. She's almost 4 and 40 lbs so even if I wasn't pregnant I'd be concerned about my back.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
March 17th, 2014, 04:28 PM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Yeah, I have a little munchkin that needs carrying. And, of course, sometimes by accident whacks me in my belly. I cant wait to start showing/baby kick so I can try to convey to her to be gentle around me!

March 17th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Thanks everyone! Yea, my daughter likes to become passive aggressive and take forever to do certain things, such as climbing into her crib, climbing into her carseat so sometimes, the options are lifting her to do it myself or waiting 45 minutes for her to do it herself. I did put a stool next to her crib so she can use that to climb in and out, but this doesn't always avoid the power struggle of a toddler. Oh to think that our sweet babies will become headstrong toddlers before we know it!
March 17th, 2014, 10:54 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I do. Or try to avoid it. We now say you're a big boy so you have to walk and hold mommys hand. Works "most" if the time.

I only try not to bc of my back injury. Just this week it went out again and you're hit with intense pain, spasms and can't move. It's on day 4 of that for me.
So although I love my son....he's gonna learn to walk lol

}
March 18th, 2014, 02:24 AM
eva_luvs_dave's Avatar team green!
I lift My sil is disabled and I take care of her. She can stand up but with assistance but she is not always steady (she is bigger than I am). So I do the lifting but try to be cautious about it. I think I will have dh help me from now on though because I worry about any risks of doing so :/
March 18th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Mrs_Oteez
I think it's unreasonable to think that we can't life our other children just because we're pregnant. Take a look at pregnant women in other countries who work in fields, do manual labor and take care of children while pregnant. Personally, I am cautious but I still do everything I did before I was pregnant. I lift weights, lift my children (I have a 2 and 4 year old) and run 4 to 5 days a week. I think that OB's tell you not to do certain things to cover their tales….just my opinion though. I'm pregnant not disabled…..
Caerus and FlyingFlower like this.
March 18th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Until this weekend, I thought the lifting limits were kind of harsh too. My mother in law, & other people her age always said no more than 5lbs, and I kinda thought it was silly.
I carried my 30lb DD occasionally...and lifted her.

Of course, since my bleeding incident, I cant even be on my feet for long or risk lifting anything...its a serious order from my doctor.

I know life doesnt always make it conveniant, but trying not to lift heavy objects is something that shouldnt be compltely blown off.

March 18th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran
I picked up my then one year old the wrong way while pregnant w number three. I have had to deal with sciatic pain ever since 15 years. I can lift about thirty pounds the right way when pregnant w out too much trouble. If I forget and lift fifty say my one year old and three year old at the same time like I do not pregnant I'm in trouble.
March 18th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a 20 some pound 15 month old that I have to lift all day. Other than that, I dont do more than is easy without strain. My sister just miscarried a few weeks ago so its more on my mind than usual.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
March 18th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone! I went to the doctor today for my 13 week appointment and saw a different one this time. This one was more conservative than the last. This one said no more than 25 pounds can cause the placenta to tear away and only lift when you need to. I guess moderation is key.
March 18th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is good to know! I don't know what decisions I would make if I had other children of lifting age, but since I don't there's just not a whole lot of reason to risk it at all. If there's someone else around who can lift heavy items, let them lift it. Just to be on the safe side. Ya know?
Caerus likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 18th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Caerus's Avatar Due in Sept 2014
The thought of limiting my lifting actually hadn't even crossed my mind! Good to know. I suppose I'll start using a cart at the grocery store, and asking for help carrying 45 pound bags of dog food to the car. I normally take it as a point of pride to carry my own stuff, because people assume that a 5 foot, 105 pounder can't do anything by herself. Forget that I've worked at a barn, where I regularly moved heavy bales of hay or bags of grain. Guess I'll have to suck it up, and learn to ask for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
I have a 20 some pound 15 month old that I have to lift all day. Other than that, I dont do more than is easy without strain. My sister just miscarried a few weeks ago so its more on my mind than usual.
So sorry to hear about your sister.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven
March 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Regular
I have a 30 lb boy who also cries to be held and carried----I lift weights too. Lol. A lot heavier than 20 or 30 lbs! I guess I should tone it down soon huh...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search