Met my new OB

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GreyEyedGirl
  • 1 Post By Caerus
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2014, 12:31 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Super Mommy
Switching OB's in the third trimester is an ordeal. Before we moved here I looked online and found a practice in this area. It was a big practice and the only one I could really find. It took them almost two weeks to approve me as a patient and then another week to make an appointment and I finally went in yesterday.

I was not super pleased. I don't know how to describe it but I just didn't like the vibe there. It's a big practice where you rotate OB's every appointment. My practice in Chicago was also very big but you stuck with the same doctor the whole time. Then if your doctor wasn't available when you went into labor you got the one on call (that happened with DD and I liked the doctor who did the delivery). But at least my doctor knew me and knew my history and it wasn't meeting with a stranger at every appointment. There was just a lot of unfriendliness about this new place. The nurse I met with seemed kind of judgey. And their practice seems overly cautious. Like they don't want you to travel after 28 weeks. Everything that I'm kind of relaxed about they are against. Like strictly no caffeine, no alcohol (like I've said before, I rarely drink but a glass of wine every few weeks doesn't bother me), etc. Also kind of weird, they had no reading materials in the lobby except...an illustrated children's bible. But this practice doesn't have any religious affiliation.

Additionally, the hospital you deliver at isn't really that great. Since I've met a few people here they've all said to go to this other hospital and specifically not the one this practice is at. DD had a pediatrician appt yesterday and I asked her recommendation and she told me who she sees. It's the same practice that my next door neighbor uses and one of DH's coworkers. I called them today to see if they were taking on new patients this far along. The good news is they'll take me and they don't need my records to make an appt. The bad news is the closest appointment isn't until July 11. And I've now gone three weeks without seeing my last doctor. So at this point when I should be going every two weeks I'm going about 5. Knock on wood this pregnancy has been complication-free so far, but if anything happens in the next couple of weeks I essentially have no doctor.

Ugh I hate this feeling of not having a doctor. And now I'm gambling on this new new practice since it'll be too late to change if I don't like them. Also I've never been picky about a doctor before. I've never had a bad feeling before which is what's making me pay attention to the feeling I got about the one yesterday. I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
June 25th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Veteran
Ugh, I'm sorry this is happening so late in the game. Sounds like it's a very good idea to change, it's no good if you don't click with your doctor! Definitely trust your gut. If you're worried about not liking the next OB either, maybe try and get a meet-greet with another practice at the same time?

Also I wanted to say, because I hope it helps you feel better about having to wait for the next appointment, that I just had a 31 week appointment and my next appointment isn't until 35 weeks. My practice doesn't make you go very often if you're low risk, which I am (except for being old, lol.)
angelinal09 likes this.
June 25th, 2014, 12:47 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel for you, as I'm considering changing OBs from a group like the one you describe. I do really think it's important for you to feel comfortable with your doctor... especially when it comes to their overall philosophies.

Can the new OB not get you in sooner just for a meet and greet? I was able to do this with my new potential OB and just talk to him for 10 minutes or so about my own goals and how they tie with his own practices. It was really helpful. I didn't want to change it (going through all the insurance BS) until I was confident in my choice.

That said, I don't think it's a big deal if you go a few extra weeks between appointments either.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
June 25th, 2014, 05:41 PM
_Jewlz_'s Avatar Veteran
I'd be really anxious too! But I bet the locals are steering you in the right direction. I hope you like the new new Dr!
June 25th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Caerus's Avatar Due in Sept 2014
Oh yuck, what a thing to deal with. My OB clinic has 3 docs and one midwife, and they ask that you have an appointment with each of them at least once. That way, no matter who is on call when you go into labor, you aren't laboring with a stranger. Still, I think I'd hate that policy if the practice was any bigger, it'd feel like every appointment was with a stranger!

I'm glad you are listening to your gut feeling about the first practice. I believe we (women in particular) have those feelings for a reason. You deserve to be comfortable with whoever will be delivering you.
Kayakgirl likes this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven
June 25th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Veteran
It's totally reasonable to change if you're not comfortable there - I changed doctors in my first pregnancy during the first trimester because I didn't have a good feeling about the first guy.
This time around I'm at a new office and they also "strongly suggest" seeing a different doctor every appointment, so you get to know all of them. I don't like that idea (I've heard bad things about 2 of the other 3, plus i don't want to see a stranger every time) so I just stick to my guns and say I'm only seeing Dr. So-and-so because he has the most experience. They don't pressure me anymore.

June 25th, 2014, 06:56 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks everyone.

I figured out more about what I didn't like in general. Their overall attitude was kind of in absolutes, which I hate when it comes to pregnancy. Like absolutely no caffeine, no alcohol, have to eat a certain amount of fish (only a certain kind) a week, etc. I feel like I'm not being treated like an intelligent individual at that point and they have to make decisions for me. I'd rather hear "some caffeine is ok, don't overdo it. Eat lots of protein and fish and avoid the high mercury ones as much as possible." That kind of thing. I totally am of the opinion that I let professionals do what they do and I trust them to make decisions that are beyond what my knowledge base is. However treat me like an adult who til this point has been capable of functioning. Pregnancy didn't suddenly lower my IQ.

Also there was one interaction in particular I didn't like. My last pregnancy was ectopic and it was a really unusual situation. In short, I miscarried the ectopic over the course of several months without knowing I was even pregnant. When we went over the whole deal and she just didn't believe me. She kept being like, they had to treat it with either the injection or you got a tube removed. I kept explaining that they just monitored my hcg til it went back to 0 because by the time it was discovered the miscarriage had already occurred. She seriously didn't understand or believe me. Then she read the report and saw the ultrasounds. Then she was like, that's weird, I've never heard of that happening before. Really? Grrrr.... Yeah definitely not going back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kto1111 View Post
I feel for you, as I'm considering changing OBs from a group like the one you describe. I do really think it's important for you to feel comfortable with your doctor... especially when it comes to their overall philosophies.

Can the new OB not get you in sooner just for a meet and greet? I was able to do this with my new potential OB and just talk to him for 10 minutes or so about my own goals and how they tie with his own practices. It was really helpful. I didn't want to change it (going through all the insurance BS) until I was confident in my choice.

That said, I don't think it's a big deal if you go a few extra weeks between appointments either.
The soonest time that I can even meet with an OB at the new practice is the July 11th appt and then they can schedule me for a real appt immediately following.

DD- 4 years, May 2010

Last edited by FlyingFlower; June 25th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
June 25th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Super Mommy
That stinks! Hopefully you'll like the new OB.
Expecting #3 It's a GIRL!! Anna Joy!
June 26th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope the new dr is more your speed. If you want a back up, you could try contacting the hospital you would rather go to and ask for dr names/numbers. You could even make an appointment, might be able to be seen sooner too.
topato likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
June 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
It is so important to feel good about the people caring for you. As I posted earlier in my own thread, I just finally have my old OB back. I did not like the one I was currently seeing due to the fact that he never took any time with me, and ignored information I was giving him about my own health.

Now that I am under the care of someone I trust and respect, I am surprised at the weight that has been lifted off of me. I didn't realize how much it was bothering me. It really effects you in more ways than you'd think.

I would wait and see the new doc on July the 11th if possible. I hope that you can find the right provider for you and feel at ease with the rest of your pregnancy.

June 26th, 2014, 11:38 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Darn! My fingers and toes are crossed you are more in sync with your next one. From what you have said I would totally be doing the same thing. You can feel more comfortable with someone good after 10 minutes where even after 10 visits you may not get there with the place you went.
Ophelia due September 2014!
June 26th, 2014, 12:08 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
omg, i'm so glad you're going to go for it. i don't like anything you've said about your current doctor, at all.

and let me tell you-- if i had the option to switch ob's, i'd do it in a heartbeat, regardless of how late in the game we are, and even if i had to wait a few weeks for an appointment. mine sounds similar to yours, right down to the religious stuff in the waiting room. the only saving grace is that i have no complaints about the hospital here.

i had my 30 week appointment two days ago and i told the woman (whom i'd never met, i think she was a midwife?) that i'd been having a lot of contractions every night, and she didn't have anything to say about it. she wrote literally nothing in the notes, didn't tell me measurements or give me advice. fast forward 24 hours to yesterday, and i'm in the hospital. grrraaaah!!!!!

that's just the latest in a long, LONG list of complaints i have about the practice i go to. my mantra has become: "i hate my ob, i hate my ob, i want their office to burn to the ground, i hate my ob."

June 27th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Veteran
That stinks that this first attempt at a new OB/practice didn't work out, but at least you got some good info on where to deliver and hopefully the new place will work out.

I am about to be in the same boat. We are in the stress zone of our move, house is sold and close on July 14, so I know our end date. But after multiple house hunting trips, we still don't have somewhere to go as of July 14! I have OB/hospital names, but depending on which suburb we end up, in might change which hospital/OB location. Downer of going to another big city. So unless we get the house we put an offer in on today, or the rental that we are considering, I don't know what we will do. We'll have to go into temporary rental housing and then I just have to pick randomly. And hope that I get can get an appt in a reasonable time frame and that I like the OB/practice. So I will likely have a large gap between appts also. But my current practice doesn't see you every 2 weeks until later on and I just hit 27 weeks.

Just another annoying stress on top of a state-to-state move!!
Mom to DS 4/03, DD 12/05, DD 5/07 & baby #4 due Sept 24

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search