PCOS and Breastfeeding

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By kto1111
  • 1 Post By flitabout

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Caerus's Avatar Due in Sept 2014
Are any of my cysters here worried at all about breastfeeding? If you are a BTDT Mom, did you have any issues with supply?

I'm probably just being way paranoid, but tonight I made the mistake of researching the possible link between PCOS (and other hormonal problems) and low milk supply.

I think I'll ask my OB if she thinks I need to go back on Metformin in about a month (to give it time to get working before delivery), or start it after delivery, or to not worry about it unless my supply does prove to be a problem. She'll probably say I'm being silly to worry, but I can't help it. Taking Met wouldn't hurt anything, but I HATE the taste, which I why I stopped it in the first tri.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven

Last edited by Caerus; July 29th, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
July 30th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Brown Polka Dots's Avatar Family of 3.5 :)
I have no experience with PCOS, but can offer you the story of a good friend of mine with it. She had some supply issues in the beginning and had to stick to a strict nursing/pumping schedule for the first 1-2 months, though I believe that was more due to her baby having latching difficulties than anything else. She stuck with it, though, and is now going on her 13th month of breastfeeding with no more issues

July 30th, 2014, 06:02 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Expecting #2
the only concern i have about breastfeeding is that i won't survive the pain in the first couple of days, i failed the first time just because of this reason.. i bought all kinds of creams and samples so we'll see

July 30th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I realized you were a fellow cyster!!

I actually didn't realize there was a link between PCOS and low milk supply, but for some reason I have had an ongoing concern that this would be an issue ever since the beginning of my pregnancy. It doesn't help that my boobs only grew about a half size and then stopped cold turkey.

I haven't had any leakage or anything like that, and I do have concerns that this will become an issue. I want to breastfeed SO bad, so I hope I'm wrong.

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 30th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Veteran
I dont have PCOS, but i have endometriosis. It doesnt affect milk supply but i had no milk supply with my first and i couldnt figure out why.....im very nervous this time around and want to make sure i can breastfeed. So i am researching and talking to my doc. Anything to figure it out and try to fix it.

Try not to be to nervous, just talk to your doc. See what she says about your worries.

Last edited by carlyknudtson; July 30th, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
July 30th, 2014, 09:00 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslily1125 View Post
I don't think I realized you were a fellow cyster!!

I actually didn't realize there was a link between PCOS and low milk supply, but for some reason I have had an ongoing concern that this would be an issue ever since the beginning of my pregnancy. It doesn't help that my boobs only grew about a half size and then stopped cold turkey.

I haven't had any leakage or anything like that, and I do have concerns that this will become an issue. I want to breastfeed SO bad, so I hope I'm wrong.
I don't know anything about PCOS with regards to bf-ing, but I DO know that breast size doesn't determine milk supply. There is also no correlation between leaking during pregnancy and milk supply. So don't let those things be a concern.
Urchin, Mslily1125 and _Jewlz_ like this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
July 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes there is a very definite like between low supply and PCOS. My best friend had all kinds of issues. Honestly smaller breasts for some reason
seem to produce even more milk! I have never been a leaker in pregnancy and I have never had a supply issue, well maybe an over supply! You can try this supplement. It is truly amazing and really does work, probably what caused my over supply with Autumn! This one is geared to women that have had breast reduction, PCOS, and adoptive mothers that would like to breastfeed. https://www.motherlove.com/product/m...blend-capsules
Mslily1125 likes this.

July 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran
I have no knowledge about PCOS and breastfeeding but I attended my first La Leche League meeting on Monday. I currently have no reason to worry about my ability to breastfeed but the amount of support that was offered during the meeting lifted a huge burden off my shoulders that I didn't even realize I was carrying. They meet once a month and have a couple of numbers that I can call for breastfeeding support any time. There are at least 10 of these groups that meet once a month in my metropolitan area (population about 1 million) so there are other meetings that I can attend as well. This may be a resource that might be helpful.

They also thought it was great that I was attending prior to the birth (though to be honest, I'm not sure I would have if it wasn't within walking distance ).
July 31st, 2014, 11:51 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wonderful suggestions here! I'm going to check out that MotherLove supplement as well!

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 31st, 2014, 02:12 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love that stuff. I actually bring a bottle of the tincture with me to the hospital. Being as that I have C/S my milk takes longer to come in. I usually don't even have much if any colostrum. When I used it after Autumn was born My milk was in by the time I left the hospital. I have tried both but I will be honest the tincture works better than the pills. It tastes awful! I put it in a shot glass with a bit of water and down it like a shot. The pills are more expensive and I didn't feel like they did the job as well.

August 3rd, 2014, 04:44 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never had any supply problems with my boys, no bfing problems at all, thankfully. I was not on Metformin during pregnancy or while nursing them either. Hopefully you won't have any problems either.
August 3rd, 2014, 05:12 PM
Regular
I was told I had pcos and I had to do an IUI to get pregnant.. I didn't even think about that effecting milk supply... OH NO! I HOPE IT DOESN'T!!
August 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Super Mommy
hey I had pcos diagnosis and my milk took a bit longer to come in.. u can always pump in beginning to raise ur supply as pumping can help to increase flow and reduce engorgment
August 3rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have pcos and I had no clue it could effect production. I had almost no supply last time which I totally blamed on a beast reduction. I still think it could have been the reduction that caused the issues because the reduction needed some revisions. But I'm going to check out that website just in case there's something I can do.

DD- 4 years, May 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search