Update on Abraham and Gabriel---Updated Again in First Post

Forum: Due Date Club of September 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree32Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of September 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2014, 06:27 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
This week has been rough. Abraham had a weight check on Wednesday and he has lost weight (4 lbs. 14 oz.). He should have gained some as he turned two weeks old yesterday. So, after talking to his pediatrician, the lactation consultant at the hospital Gabriel's at, and Gabriel's NICU nurse, it was decided that I'm not yet making enough milk for both of them. So, I'm supposed to continue to pump every two hours for Gabriel and offer the breast to Abraham at least four times a day (before a pump) and follow up with a bottle of high-calorie formula. We were supplementing before but not this much. He goes back in Monday so we'll see where he's at. It was deflating; I felt like I was starving my baby and didn't realize it.

Gabriel was doing well and all set to come home this weekend. He's been off breathing assistance and finally had his feeding tube removed two days ago. I sent dh in to the hospital yesterday afternoon with his car seat for the required test, completed the required CPR class, etc., etc. Well, yesterday afternoon, I got a call from his nurse saying that his heart rate dipped to 63 while he was sleeping; it was a one time event and he needed no intervention but one of the hospital's requirements for discharge is no "events" for 5 days---yesterday was his fifth day. So, we're back to starting the five day clock over---the soonest he'll be able to come home now is Wednesday. I know it's better for him to not come home until he's fully ready but it is so hard. Especially since Abraham's home already. I feel like I'm missing out on such a precious part of Gabriel's life. I'm only able to spend about an hour or two a day with him and it really sucks. The kids haven't even met him yet.

Other than that. everything's well and, really, both babies are healthy overall and that is what's important---perspective, right?

UPDATE 8/24

Thank you all so much; seriously. While I have dh here to talk to, it's nice to have others too. I really appreciate the support.

Gabriel had to have his feeding tube re-inserted yesterday; he's not nippling as well/fast as he should be. I went in today and was able to breastfeed him (for the second time!). He took in 15 mls before falling asleep but took pumped milk from a bottle that I gave him too (after being woken up). I also changed his diaper for the first time!! I've never been so excited to change a diaper, lol. He has a bit of reflux and will have a tube inserted into his nose and down to his esophogaus (sp?) to check his pH levels tomorrow. We will determine what, if anything, needs to be done once the results of that test are in.

Abraham's been doing well and will hopefully have gained some weight (he gets checked out tomorrow).

Funny sidenote---I think my 5 yo ds thinks we're lying about the "other baby". He keeps asking why we haven't brought the other baby home from the hospital while questioning me..."You said you had TWO babies...where's the other one?", "Why haven't you brought the other one home yet---why are you leaving the other baby with the doctors?" lol

Last edited by angelinal09; August 24th, 2014 at 02:16 PM.
August 23rd, 2014, 06:42 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I am sorry that you don't have both babies home. I could only imagine how hard that is! Your baby will be home soon
angelinal09 likes this.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

August 23rd, 2014, 06:54 AM
Super Mommy
I am sorry I know how difficult this wait time is for you. So close yet so far. Sending you hugs.

You are doing an amazing job both pumping and breastfeeding, it it such hard work when you have two mouths to feed. Keep it up ... some breast milk is better than no breastmilk :-)
angelinal09 likes this.
August 23rd, 2014, 07:12 AM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Hope that there are no more events and you can bring him home Wednesday. You're doing great and once you're all home together I'm sure you'll get into the swing of things.
angelinal09 likes this.

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
August 23rd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry! I know both things must have been very hard on you! Hopefully Abraham will gain now and Gabriel will be home soon!
angelinal09 likes this.
August 23rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That has to be so hard not having him there . I can only imagine. As far as starving your baby you are not! I had issues breastfeeding my third when I went back to work and didn't realize he wasn't getting enough milk he would cry all the tjme...took him to my pedi and she told me he was hungry..offered him some formula and he sucked it down and fell asleep. I felt awful but had no idea! Keep it up you are doing GREAT!
angelinal09 likes this.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

August 23rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're being so strong for your family! Nobody could ask more of you! I'm sorry it has been so rough but it will get better! Five days will go by quickly. *hug* we're all here for you.
angelinal09 likes this.

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014
August 23rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs* Its so hard to have kids at home and a baby in the hospital! My son only got to see his baby brother once in person then once through a window until he was 2 weeks+. I felt like I was neglecting one or the other no matter what I did. And dont feel bad about supplementing. Give your body a chance to catch up with whats gone on and it'll get there! Are you taking any supplements to try to boost supply? Basil essential oil is said to help.
angelinal09 likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Thank you everyone; the support here means a lot to me. I'm going to go in and see Gaby tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
I felt like I was neglecting one or the other no matter what I did. And dont feel bad about supplementing. Give your body a chance to catch up with whats gone on and it'll get there! Are you taking any supplements to try to boost supply? Basil essential oil is said to help.

This is exactly what I feel like; if I send all the breastmilk into Gaby, I feel guilty about Aby not getting any (or as much). But then I think, "Well, Aby pretty much has me all to himself right now." As for the catching up, that's exactly what the lactation consultant said. I haven't tried supplements yet but I did bring it up to the lactation consultant and she said to wait a week or so to see if my body catches up. She seems to think that, once Gabriel's home, my body will just start producing tons of milk (not sure about that but...).
August 23rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would take some fenugreek. It couldnt hurt! And then if your production jumps up when they are both home, you can just slowly stop taking it. Id try that mothers milk tea too!
angelinal09 likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
keep in mind that your boys were early. it might not be that you're not producing enough, it might be that gabriel isn't strong enough to take as much as he needs. (that's what was happening with darwin!)

when we saw dar's weight drop i felt like i was failing him somehow because i wasn't producing enough milk. and i was confused, bc i'd breast fed harvey until he was 13 months old (and he only JUST hit 19 months this week, so it's not like i've forgotten how to breast feed!) but then the nicu had me start pumping to supplement darwin's breast feedings and i saw i was actually capable of producing a LOT more than he was taking.

also, i bet you **will** produce more once he's home with you. once he can demand it from you, you'll be able to supply it.
angelinal09, Caerus and Jenn-F like this.
August 24th, 2014, 05:00 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Uh, am I allowed to say beer? Hoppy, barley? OK, ignore me. But it is an old wives tale that is supposed to work. And you can get it non alcoholic. Other than that - dont be hard on yourself. Those are some lucky boys to have you as a Mama! This may be a small set back, especially not getting Gaby back when you thought you would. What a bummer. Im so sorry. I hope you had a nice visit with him.

Keep us posted on how he....they....are doing......
angelinal09 and Mslily1125 like this.

August 24th, 2014, 07:44 AM
KHawk's Avatar Super Mommy
Absolutely, perspective is key...... but still hard You make any time you have count and they are so lucky to have such a great and loving mama. You have done just fine... and with this change he'll start gaining more. And hopefully, be able to keep up some breastfeeding just so you can enjoy that bonding time. Whatever happens pats on the back to you for being so strong and taking such good care of your family. All the while recovering!
angelinal09 likes this.
August 24th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the emotions you're feeling right now are MORE than normal. I can only imagine how tough it would be to have newborn twins to begin with, much less the complications. You are doing all that you can though and continuing to look for ways to help your boys, so rest assured you're doing a great job mama! Good luck - keeping fingers crossed for no events!!
angelinal09 and Caerus like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 24th, 2014, 11:23 AM
KeliRevels's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry, mama. I hope that you get some better news soon. Don't be hard on yourself. Your baby boys are lucky to have you as a mama and they are going to be as healthy and as strong as can be soon!
angelinal09 likes this.
August 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Caerus's Avatar Due in Sept 2014
I've had friends with NICU kiddos before, and it does seem like Murphy's Law likes to kick in with those nasty "events" right before they are supposed to be discharged. I'm sorry.

Like the others said, don't feel bad about needing to supplement. I bet your supply will pick up a LOT once he is actually home. Fingers crossed so hard that he goes home Wednesday. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have your time split between them like that.
angelinal09 likes this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven
August 24th, 2014, 03:06 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm glad you got to feed him and change his diaper. <3

also-- that bit about your son questioning you on your OTHER baby-- i totally lol'd and read it to my husband. hilariousss
angelinal09 likes this.
August 24th, 2014, 03:28 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's so funny about your son questioning you. They don't like to be "fooled" haha
angelinal09 likes this.

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014
August 24th, 2014, 03:30 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear he had to get the feeding tube re-inserted. When it comes out does that start the 5 day clock as long as there's nothing else going on?

I hope the pH test goes well tomorrow! Let us know. That's hysterical about your 5-year-old.
angelinal09 likes this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
August 24th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFlower View Post
Sorry to hear he had to get the feeding tube re-inserted. When it comes out does that start the 5 day clock as long as there's nothing else going on?

I hope the pH test goes well tomorrow! Let us know. That's hysterical about your 5-year-old.

No, the feeding tube doesn't start the 5 day clock over. With the feeding tube, he needs at least 48 hours off of it and all feedings during that time need to be breast and/or bottle.
Jenn-F and FlyingFlower like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search