Severe Migraines?

Forum: **NEW** September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2014, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and new to being pregnant. I have suffered from very bad migraines most of my life, and now that I'm pregnant I'm frightened about how best to cope with them. Does anyone else have migraines?
January 22nd, 2014, 06:03 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I had some very bad ones with one of my pregnancies. I saw my ob, reg dr, and a neurologist. I was given Fioricet and used a mix of those, Excedrin Migraine, and Rapid Release Tylenol Gelcaps. Even then, I was only supposed to use Fioricet until I was about six months or so. And those medications didn't always help. I really, really feel for you. I found that cold weather seemed to exacerbate them. It's hard because a lot of the meds that help with them are no-no's during pregnancy. Also, you need to be careful because if you take too many of the meds, you can actually have more migraines.
January 22nd, 2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks for replying. Yes the cold weather makes mine worse as well. My doctors have told me to continue taking prescription Zomig (a triptan) for my migraines, but I'm not comfortable with that, there just isn't enough info out there to make me feel safe taking it. Some days they are so bad though, and they hang on for days and days unless I take Zomig. It's intense. I have never tried Fioricet but I am reading about it now. Seems like this may be a long road ahead....
January 22nd, 2014, 06:32 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Unfortunately, I think you do. I was told the surge of hormones during pregnancy makes them more intense. I understand your hesitance towards taking the meds too. I once had one so bad in my eight month that I took a Fioricet though I wasn't supposed to. I felt terrible but the headache was so, so intense and would not stop. Try to find your triggers if you don't already know and expect that there may be new ones.
January 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pregnancy hormones are the pits, huh? I deal with migraines alot when I am not pregnant, here are some suggestions.

You can try tylenol with a little caffeine. Not a lot, but like a glass of a caffeinated soda.

You can also try a benadryl with the tylenol. Sometimes that seems to help.

Magnesium supplements can help with both M/S and migraines. You should double check with your OB about what he thinks a safe dose is.

When mine get terrible, I will take a dose of tylenol and a benadryl. I put some a dab of peppermint oil on my forehead, temples and around the base of my head and then put a cold, wet washcloth on top and lay in the pitch black for a while and even try to sleep a little bit.

I know the goal is to avoid medications at all cost. But I agree with you on the triptans, that would freak me out too. I am much more likely to give something OTC a shot before something like that. Or a tiny bit of caffeine. (I know they say the limit is 200mg a day or something like that and I think your average coke has only like 40? Don't quote me on that but I know its far below the limit they set and sometimes it really helps with migraines).

Hoping you feel better.

January 22nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
Super Mommy
Mine where basically debilitating my first pregnancy I was also prescribed fiorcet and agree that it did not always take them away but allowed me to somewhat function. Ali agree with talking your doctor about all of your options so that you can get some relief. Staying hydrated was also something that helped me a lot!

Tags
heacaches , migraines

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search