New or Used? Does it matter to you...

Forum: **NEW** September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree37Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2014, 04:26 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I actually wen to a baby consignment shop and bought some clothes. I had a whole bag and it was only 26 dollars… I figured since there are TWO I have to find ways to cut corners. I would not buy a car seat from there though… I think that it will help SAVE money to go to the thrift stores!
angelinal09 likes this.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com
February 27th, 2014, 03:11 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
i never buy any used baby items, unless i know who pre-owned them first, babies just vomit and poop on all their clothes even if they are clean i just will not use them, i recieved alot of baby clothes for my DS, ended up giving them away. i rather buy everything new

February 27th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Brown Polka Dots's Avatar Family of 3.5 :)
Clothes - Buy them used if you can! It's so so not worth spending the money on tons of new clothes that will fit for 10 minutes and end up covered in poop and spit up anyway. Just my opinion

I managed to find some amazing deals going yard sale hopping for DD. If this nugget is a boy, I fully intend on doing the same thing.
angelinal09 likes this.

February 27th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Good thread! I buy nearly everything used and receive lots of hand-me-downs from my sister-in-law (she is a laundry expert - used stuff from her still looks brand new). I love thrift stores and garage sales but I'm still fairly picky - I don't buy stuff just because it's cheap, I look for quality.
I'm so excited that I will be finding out the gender of this baby in May - the start of garage sale season! Unless it's a girl - then I probably have everything I need in the basement already...
angelinal09 likes this.

February 27th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I prefer new because I'm a weird germaphobe lol. I also am a super deal hunter and get great deals. During the Christmas season my husband jokes I could make deal hunting a full time job, but I save us SOO much! Once I put it in a spread sheet to show him retail vs what I paid he backed off and supported it. I also do a lot of resale through message boards or consignment sales.

You can easily buy nice quality items for cheaper new than you can used a lot of times too, you just have to look for the sales. Like Gymboree everyone seems to think is sooo expensive. Well yeah, if you buy at full price as soon as a line comes out sure! But you wait for it to be marked down, then a sale, and then you can stack a 20% coupon off on top of it. Same with GAP they always have great sales and stacking coupons. I can easily get a new outfit from Gymbo for $10 or less, then probably turn around and resell it for $8 (or sometimes even more than what I paid) the following year. But you walk into a consignment store/sale and those outfits will be price $15 or so for something used, no thanks!

February 27th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatrixMorgan View Post
I prefer new because I'm a weird germaphobe lol. I also am a super deal hunter and get great deals. During the Christmas season my husband jokes I could make deal hunting a full time job, but I save us SOO much! Once I put it in a spread sheet to show him retail vs what I paid he backed off and supported it. I also do a lot of resale through message boards or consignment sales.

You can easily buy nice quality items for cheaper new than you can used a lot of times too, you just have to look for the sales. Like Gymboree everyone seems to think is sooo expensive. Well yeah, if you buy at full price as soon as a line comes out sure! But you wait for it to be marked down, then a sale, and then you can stack a 20% coupon off on top of it. Same with GAP they always have great sales and stacking coupons. I can easily get a new outfit from Gymbo for $10 or less, then probably turn around and resell it for $8 (or sometimes even more than what I paid) the following year. But you walk into a consignment store/sale and those outfits will be price $15 or so for something used, no thanks!
(Lurking from May DDC)

This is so true-- I'm a FTM, and I'm buying most of the clothes on clearance at regular stores like Carter's, TJ Maxx, etc. I went to Carter's and used their 40% off sale, then a 20% off coupon on top of that. Makes it much cheaper. I personally wouldn't buy used clothes at a consignment store; knowing other babies vomited or pooped on them. My husband doesn't want me to buy anything used (though I'm more open to other random stuff being used, he still wants me to buy new).
angelinal09 likes this.
February 27th, 2014, 09:08 AM
myfav5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I went to a thrift store or consignment shop that had clothing up with puke and poop stains, I would never shop there again! A good friend of mine owns a nice consignment shop that does not sell junk. I will be shopping there for sure. She has alot of gymboree and I don't think I have ever paid more that 5 dollars tops for an out fit there! My boys love Under Armour and I will continue to buy those 50 dollar hoodies for 3-5 dollars at the Salvation army. Once it is home, who knows the difference? Even with coupons, I think some consignment shops have nice items for a steal!
angelinal09 likes this.

February 27th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfav5 View Post
If I went to a thrift store or consignment shop that had clothing up with puke and poop stains, I would never shop there again! A good friend of mine owns a nice consignment shop that does not sell junk. I will be shopping there for sure. She has alot of gymboree and I don't think I have ever paid more that 5 dollars tops for an out fit there! My boys love Under Armour and I will continue to buy those 50 dollar hoodies for 3-5 dollars at the Salvation army. Once it is home, who knows the difference? Even with coupons, I think some consignment shops have nice items for a steal!
I don't think consignments would sell clothes with poop/puke stains; what I meant was that it bothers me that chances are likely it had it on there. Now, it's a different story if you found clothes that still had tags on them and never worn. That would be a really good deal, but I think those are few and far between based on what I've seen.

If you guys do what I did, and start shopping once 2nd trimester hits and buy the best deals you find, you can get them almost as cheap as used clothes. I just got back from Kohls and found a pair of baby boy pants on clearance for $1.20 when they were $12. Just gotta keep an eye out and stop in stores just to look when you're out and about.
myfav5 and angelinal09 like this.
February 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfav5 View Post
My boys love Under Armour and I will continue to buy those 50 dollar hoodies for 3-5 dollars at the Salvation army. Once it is home, who knows the difference? Even with coupons, I think some consignment shops have nice items for a steal!
If you have older kids (tweens/teens) look into Platos Closet (a consignment shop that sells current-style name brand items). My two oldest ds's love Aeropostale, CK, Nike, Adidas, etc. I take them there, give them $50 each and they'll walk out with three pairs of Aero jeans and a couple Nike, etc. shirts each. Love it there! They also sell costume jewelry (similar to what you'd find at stores like Forever 21 and Claires) for $2-3. My dd's have a huge collection of costume jewelry.
myfav5 likes this.
February 27th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think consignments would sell clothes with poop/puke stains; what I meant was that it bothers me that chances are likely it had it on there. Now, it's a different story if you found clothes that still had tags on them and never worn. That would be a really good deal, but I think those are few and far between based on what I've seen.

If you guys do what I did, and start shopping once 2nd trimester hits and buy the best deals you find, you can get them almost as cheap as used clothes. I just got back from Kohls and found a pair of baby boy pants on clearance for $1.20 when they were $12. Just gotta keep an eye out and stop in stores just to look when you're out and about.

The consignment shop here is AWESOME! They only take the best stuff...and I bring a lot of my old stuff there too, so I essentially end up trading my stuff for other stuff.. lol

I also scope out the deals. I rarely buy things at full price, even for myself. I'm too darn cheap. There are so fantastic deals here with Joe Fresh, Walmart, Old Navy, etc.

you guys are making me want to shop!
myfav5 and angelinal09 like this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search