what do i do!?!

Forum: **NEW** September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FlyingFlower
  • 1 Post By Urchin
  • 1 Post By lemieuxcrew
  • 1 Post By kto1111

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2014, 05:41 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
guys, i think i have strep throat! i have a killer sore throat and no cold symptoms. no fever either, but this is day five (eep!) and its getting worse. i reeeeeally hate taking meds during pregnancy (and when not pregnant also) but i dont know what else to do. some websites say the antibiotics id need are safe during pregnancy, but they also say they havent really been studied extensively in pregnant women. plus, i know my cousin has issues with her teeth because my aunt took antibiotics during her second trimester. i actually have my 20w appointment and ultrasound in a few hours.... do i mention this? gah! help!
April 15th, 2014, 05:57 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since you have your appointment in a few hours I'd definitely bring it up. But it doesn't sound like strep. You usually get a high fever with that from what I remember
Caerus likes this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
April 15th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I would mention it. Leaving strep is not something you wanna do.

And, it may just be allergy related this time of year. ..or even related to heartburn if that is something you're suffering from.

Hopefully it is not strep, and something you can treat easily!
Caerus likes this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

April 15th, 2014, 06:14 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Get a strep test. Then you will know! You can decide then if or how to medicate with the help of your doc. But you poor thing! I hope you have lots of hot tea and rest. Feel better soon!
Caerus likes this.

April 15th, 2014, 06:39 AM
i dont have allergies (im one of the lucky ones!) and i rarely get fevers when i get sick.... but i dont think strep is always linked to fever anyway, from my research this morning. ehhhh i guess ill mention it though, and see what happens.
April 15th, 2014, 08:08 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a horrible sore throat that went on for weeks. It was so annoying. I think it ended up being allergies and a result of sleeping with my mouth open. Gurgling warm salt water helped some. And drinking lots of fluids. But that's good you're seeing the doctor anyway! I'm sure they can help.
Caerus likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
April 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran
Yea, not treating Strep is more dangerous than taking an antibiotic. There are plenty of safe antibiotics in pregnancy. My friend had strep during her pregnancy, took the meds, and her baby is fine.
April 15th, 2014, 08:12 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The antibiotic they were talking about is tetracycline and they hardly use it for anything other than in bees and or certain diseases in poultry. There are plenty of antibiotics that are perfectly safe in pregnancy.

April 16th, 2014, 12:54 PM
well, i don't know about tetracycline, but i'm not sure that's the one my aunt had taken. also, i'm not so sure about there being safe antibiotics for strep. i've done my research, honestly, and the three antibiotics they typically give you to treat strep throat have not been properly studied in pregnant women, and they DO cross the placenta. taking medication of any kind really scares me while pregnant, because if you do your reading, you'll find that *nothing* is really entirely safe. but, i realize a strep infection can be serious, and that if my throat culture comes back positive, it's a risk i might need to take. meanwhile, i'm still hoping that this is just a cold that i can let run its course, and i still have another 24 hours to wait for my results.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search