Finances...still need baby stuff..so frustrated

Forum: **NEW** September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By lemieuxcrew
  • 2 Post By kto1111

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2014, 09:29 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so flipping stressed out right now. We are trying to survive on 60% of my regular income because I am on bedrest and STD until afyer Adrianna comes. We are somehow barely surviving on this measly amount but my MIL was supposed to throw a baby shower for us and has flaked out on us and long story short we are not getting a baby shower and we were counting on that help to get some of the stuff we need for baby girl (just the basics like diapers wipes etc).

I also just found out I need a new electric breastpump because when I took mine out of the closet it is NOT working. This is a $300 pump because I have such issues with let down etc that the Medela pump in style advanced is the only type that works other than the hospital grade ones that cost $65 a month to rent plus a $150 security deposit to obtain. How can I go back to work without a pump? I checked our WIC office but they only provide manual pumps which don't work for me.

On top of it all I applied for food stamps and Medicaid and its getting denied because a job my husband had way back in January refuses to return the loss of income form and he was only making $40 a week so what the heck should it matter anyways? I hate relying on public assistance even for a few mos till I get back to the bank but my family needs help right now!

Hubby can't get a job right now either because he has to watch the kids because I am on strict bedrest trying to get her to term.

I normally don't like anyone to know my business but I have to vent somewhere. My husband keeps saying everything will be ok but I don't know how we are supposed to survive till then. We have never been this bad off and it is making me feel horrible . We have always been self sufficient and sadly the close family we have are all struggling financially right now too and can't help us even if I could swallow my pride and ask. Instead I sit here with barely $10 in my account and hoping I dont have to go to L&D for any reason because I don't know if I have enough gas to get there and back.

Our second vehicle broke down and needs $2500 in repairs to get it running so when my 4 year old starts prek4 this fall I gave no idea how we are going to get hkm to and from school with only one vehicle and my schedule and working an hour away from home. Or gow we are even going to get the older kids from their bus stop when its raining and hubby has the baby and all the kids and has to walk a mile to pick them up. I know there has to be a solution but I am so stressed right now I can't think straight.

I am grateful for everything we have....good health and healthy hapoy kids a roof over our heads and a vehicle and at leasg I get STD pay or we would be on the street.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 14th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
Oh Liz, I know how stressful it is when money just isn't coming in! We are a one-income family, and DH doesn't make much.

Do you have a friend who might be able to throw a baby shower? It doesn't have to be an expensive party, but it sure would help you get some of the basics and take a little financial pressure off? Not to be a creeper, but roughly where in Florida do you live?

Keep an eye on Craigslist for electric pumps, they are decently common for pretty good prices. You just have to replace the accessories. Maybe your insurance will cover one?

Also, there is probably a Pregnancy Resource Center near you. They are usually fantastic at connecting you with lesser-known programs in your area (churches, charities, etc.) that might be able to help with baby supplies. I know you are on bed rest, but calling or sending your hubby to check never hurts.

Big, big hugs. Money issues are so hard to deal with.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
July 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Well Medicaid won't help with a pump. My mom scouted one out this morning at a kids consignment shop the exact kind I need for $120. I have all the attachments! Now just to be able to afford even that...

I did have two dear friends ask for my registry page so I put a link to my registry on facebook. I hated even doing that. I am such an independent person and always pride myself on providing for my family that it is killing me to lay here in bed and watch our finances go in the garbage. I swear everything that could go wrong this pregnancy has..our AC broke so had to pay to have that fixed, our van broke down and is practically unfixable for us, I have had to make over $500 in repairs on our one running van, our roof on our house is leaking and we have been trying to stop it with expensive tar and huge tarps until we can afford to fully fix it. Andnon and on. I guess I just need to take a deep breath and trh to relax for baby girl. Just hearing about no baby shower today threw me over the edge. It was the lat tiny straw that broke the camels back. I am a planner so luckilly I have been collecting clothes and breast pads etc here and there little by little check by check but I just feel the time and obviously the money..running out.

Trying not to even THINK about three of the kids needing backpacks shoes and school clothes thin a month...ahhh!

We are located halfway between Orlando and Ocala in Florida.

About to take a deep breath and try to get someone kn the line about the food assistance...that would be a big big life saving help for the next few months.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

July 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran
Insurance will cover a pump. I know it's frustrating to have to call them, but it is definitely worth it. I only have a basic HMO and they will cover up to $1000 in the first 12 months for a hospital grade electric pump rental. If I want to buy one it will cover a certain dollar amount, I don't remember how much. I just want to rent the really good one though so I didn't pay too much attention to the other details. Fingers crossed that everything starts falling together for you.
July 14th, 2014, 11:53 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Is there a "freecycle" in your area? That could help with some "stuff."https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ChatCafeofCentralFL/info
or maybe here?
ACCESS Florida | Florida Department of Children and Families

And if you PM me your address or virtually invite me to your baby shower I will gladly send some diapers and school supplies! Everyone needs help sometimes. I did with my DS1 and my husband worked full time in the military! Still not enough to make it and WIC was a lifesaver. It always comes back around.

Right now I hope you can just take it day by day. Get through July before you think about August.

((((hugs))))

July 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry. Sounds really stressful.

I cyber-stalked you and found your registry. So there's that.

I may have some extra stuff lying around that I'd be happy to send your way. Once I get through DD's things, I'll see what all I've got!

I'm glad you have at least a few good friends stepping up and helping you out. Everyone needs to catch a break sometimes. When it rains, it often pours, but there is always light at the end.
Caerus and KeliRevels like this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
July 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, I hate money woes

On a side note--I grew up in Ocala!

July 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Girl we are in the same boat.No baby items. Hubby took a $1000 month pay cut so we are barely paying the rent. We have 1 car. We applied for food stamps and help and got denied and we aren't having a baby shower either.

It's beyond frustrating and depressing all at the same time. Plus we live in a state where we know absolutely no one. I cry every single day. It's like waking up from a nightmare but the nightmare is reality.
You're not alone.
I doubt anyone will help us and I have no idea how I'm going to buy burp cloths or bottles or diapers bc we are starting from scratch.

}
July 14th, 2014, 12:58 PM
You girls are so sweet. Seriously. It always helps to be able to vent somewhere. And while I know we are bad off right now I try to tell myself and it could be worse..we could be homeless. Or without a running vehicle at all. Or one of us be sick...we are very blessed other than this bedrest that we are all very healthy. I am sad to hear that some of you are in the same situation. It hurts my heart because I know just what you are going through.

Morgan I work in Silver Springs if you know where that is its right next to Ocala! I love Ocala just not the traffic lol!

July 14th, 2014, 01:03 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh we are right there with you right now.... since hubs lost his job in May, we have been relying on unemployment and my SSI (from having Multiple Sclerosis) to get by. Trying to scrounge for the things we need for this baby has been soo hard. There just isn't any money left after bills. We just have one van, and thankfully it is running well enough for the moment.

Sorry you are going through it also

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search