Car seats

Forum: **NEW** September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AviatrixMorgan
  • 1 Post By kto1111
  • 1 Post By FlyingFlower

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2014, 05:46 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it's pretty late in the game, but what is your recommendation on infant car seats? Safety is #1 priority. After that I'd like something light weight. DH's car can be a bit small in back but I'm not sure if that's an issue yet for infant seats.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
August 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, all car seats sold have to meet the same minimum safety criteria..The safety really comes down to making sure that the seat is properly installed. So looking for a car seat that is easy to install will make it more safe, if you know what I mean?

I have read good things about Snugrides, Baby Trend, Chicco and Britax.

I personally bought a Cosco car seat for this baby and it is really really lightweight.

August 16th, 2014, 06:45 PM
The Working Mom's Avatar Veteran
I really like my Graco SnugRide 35...only complaint is how much of a pain it is to change the shoulder strap position. But it's safe and not too heavy. I bet you won't find size an issue with the infant seats.

August 16th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Super Mommy
We bought a Baby Trend because it has a super lightweight stroller that folds in the umbrella style fold. I do not have much space in my car to the smaller fold will work out perfect for us.
August 17th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Chicco Keyfit 30 is one of the highest recommended ones, exceeds the safety standards.
kto1111 likes this.

August 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got the snugride 35. I also looked at the evenflo and the baby trend. I must say I really hated the Baby Trend, yes it was light but it felt cheap the handle wiggled in the locked upright position, not to mention that unlatching the thing from the base took entirely long. It's not a seat I would feel comfortable putting my baby in.
Chiccos were awesome but they only went up to 30lbs and where a smidge too heavy for only doing 30lbs
Evenflo, they are light and but mostly still only go up to 22lbs. The plastic feels cheap, again the handle wiggles in the locked position.

This is just my two cents on the carseats.

August 17th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Maddy6912's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a chicco keyfit 30 and love it! Like stated above they go above the safety guidelines. And the base is so easy to install and tighten.

August 17th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
I got the snugride 35. I also looked at the evenflo and the baby trend. I must say I really hated the Baby Trend, yes it was light but it felt cheap the handle wiggled in the locked upright position, not to mention that unlatching the thing from the base took entirely long. It's not a seat I would feel comfortable putting my baby in.
Chiccos were awesome but they only went up to 30lbs and where a smidge too heavy for only doing 30lbs
Evenflo, they are light and but mostly still only go up to 22lbs. The plastic feels cheap, again the handle wiggles in the locked position.

This is just my two cents on the carseats.
hmmm this makes me want to go home and shake our car seat around (we got the Baby Trend) ... I was pretty rough on inspection to make sure I was happy with it and did not find any wiggling at all. Re-inspection will commence once I get back home
August 17th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Super Mommy
We just got the Chicco keyfit 30, yesterday. I don't think it's the lightest one on the market but it hit the safety mark and ease of installation. I didn't get the Graco one b/c if you move the handle back the sun shade moves with it and that drove me crazy when I had the Graco with my other 3 (the sales guy pointed it out as a annoyance to him too ). We also looked at the Britax which I think was highly rated for safety, but it's a two handed click to get it out of the base and that would drive me nuts too.
August 17th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks, I had the Graco 35 with DD. After that for the convertible car seat and the booster seat we had Britax and we really liked them. We were thinking Britax for the infant seat but all the reviews say it's great but heavy. So back to square one.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
August 18th, 2014, 09:06 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatrixMorgan View Post
Chicco Keyfit 30 is one of the highest recommended ones, exceeds the safety standards.
That's what we have.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
August 18th, 2014, 12:30 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I should add -- DD outgrew the Chicco Keyfit around 1 year when she reached the height limitation. This was loooooooooooooong before she was anywhere near 30 lbs. At nearly 3 years old, she just now 30 lbs. I think that's typical of infant seats (outgrowing due to height more so than weight) so I'm not sure the 5 lbs difference in some seats would really matter much.
FlyingFlower likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
August 18th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kto1111 View Post
I should add -- DD outgrew the Chicco Keyfit around 1 year when she reached the height limitation. This was loooooooooooooong before she was anywhere near 30 lbs. At nearly 3 years old, she just now 30 lbs. I think that's typical of infant seats (outgrowing due to height more so than weight) so I'm not sure the 5 lbs difference in some seats would really matter much.
Yeah we still have the convertible car seats so I'm not too worried about when he'll outgrow it.
kto1111 likes this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
August 18th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I pretty much ignore the weight limit when looking at infant seats. I move them out before they hit it because even if they are 20lbs it's a lot to carry that around!

The Nuna Pipa is a very light weight seat with excellent safety features as well, but also carries a hefty price tag (~$300).

August 18th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got the Chicco keyfit 30 for my car, and will probably get the evenflo convertible for DF's.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search