OB/midwife/MD

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2014, 09:07 AM
KHawk's Avatar Super Mommy
For those of you who have met them.. How do you guys like yours?

I'm anxious to meet mine. I usually see a NP for my annual and I will see her for my 1st appt. Then, they'll switch me to an OB.

I had an MD for my first pregnancy/delivery... I lived in a small town at the time. He was wonderful. Not young.. not old. I was 19 and self-conscious, but he set me at ease. Never judgmental. He respected and encouraged natural birth and made it a positive experience.

I had an OB for my 2nd. He was older.. more old fashioned, but it was good overall. He was pretty blunt a time or two about my weight, but I know he meant well. He kept asking if I wanted an epidural.. but he wasn't overly pushy.

After reading this office's new patient paperwork I can tell they feel strongly about the birthing process and intervening when needed. They come out and say if you take Bradly classes they will refer you to another office. I understand and at least they are up front. I really like my NP, so I'll give it a go. And I've known a few women that delivered with them and had really good experiences. This isn't my first rodeo lol so I'm going in pretty relaxed.
January 11th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love my OB. He delivered my 3rd and was amazing through both of my losses last year.

January 11th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Brown Polka Dots's Avatar Family of 3.5 :)
I'll be using the same OB that delivered DD.

She's most definitely an in/out, get straight to the point kind of doctor and doesn't have a lot of time for any tangents. Very "business." But, I trusted her, and I know that if there were any concerns she has the experience to know what to do. I never felt uncomfortable with her and am very happy to have her deliver baby #2 as well.

I think that as long as you are up front about your birth plan, any doctor should be willing to work with you the best they can in order to meet your wishes. Worst case, you have to find another doctor, which you still have plenty of time for!

January 11th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going to try out a new doctor this round. I do not like the hospital that my old doctor delivers at. I am hoping I like the new one. I'm nervous about meeting a new doctor.
January 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I love my CNM, although she didn't deliver my son, I've watched her deliver my 4 nieces/nephews and her partner delivered my son. She's very personable, loving, eccentric and amazing.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
January 11th, 2014, 10:08 PM
TattooedMama's Avatar Mama to Goose, Bean, & #3
Send a message via AIM to TattooedMama Send a message via Yahoo to TattooedMama
Love my new OB. Super matter of fact but not unemotional and works for the VA in addition to his practice - which I love since I'm a veteran.

January 11th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will have a new OB this time. The OB I had with my first 2 has probably the highest c-section rate in our area and will not consider a vbac, but even so I really liked her. However, I'm seeing a doctor new to our area that is very family friendly, all for going as natural as possible, ok with vbac attempts, and does a family friendly type of c-section if it's necessary.

I saw him for the first time last month for my yearly check up. He spent 20+ minutes just talking with me in his office. Loved him!
January 12th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Sadly, my previous OB (who was AMAZING) is on Maternity leave until November.

The OB who was on call, that delivered my daughter however, was AMAZING. I will request him as my OB this time.

Not sure when I will meet him. In a typical pregnancy, we don't see an OB until 34-36 weeks (we stick to our family doctors).

However, I had complications last time, and may need to be referred earlier. Not sure when I will go to see my family doctor in the meantime though!

Sadly, my previous OB (who was AMAZING) is on Maternity leave until November.

The OB who was on call, that delivered my daughter however, was AMAZING. I will request him as my OB this time.

Not sure when I will meet him. In a typical pregnancy, we don't see an OB until 34-36 weeks (we stick to our family doctors).

However, I had complications last time, and may need to be referred earlier. Not sure when I will go to see my family doctor in the meantime though!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

January 12th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran
I will not be seeing the OB that delivered my daughter. He induced just because I was 41 weeks. She had a rough start and I can't help but wonder if it was because of that. He is also very happy go lucky and not very talkative. My sisters and a bunch of my cousins go to him, so that's why I went to him before. I would not have let myself be induced if my husband hadn't been there with me when the OB said I had to be induced. DH can be very pro dr. I am going with a midwife a friend recommended to me this time.
January 17th, 2014, 09:12 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have used the same midwife practice for all my pregnancies, but we moved 30 minutes away last year and DH wants me to find a local doctor. I think a 30 min drive to the office and hospital is no big deal but DH disagrees. Oh and my midwife is in my neighborhood now and we attend the same church now, which I think my DH thinks is weird.

I really don't want to change though. She is amazing!! She practices labor support, so is present with me as soon as I arrive at the hospital. She sits down in the office and talks to me, asks about DH and my other kids, remembers what is going on with me visit to visit, takes me seriously, helps me accomplish my birth goals (unmedicated, delayed clamping, DH cuts the cord, I get to pull baby to my chest after head and shoulders are out, I get to hold the baby and feed baby before turning them over to be cleaned and I usually wait a whole hour before giving baby to anyone.)

I really want to try and convince DH to let me stay out there. I guess my first move is to talk to my midwife and see what she says.

Just want to add that my midwife office is attached to an OB office, so we get all u/s in office and we see an OB at the 20 wk appt so we can get results and meet the Dr, who will be the person we see should things change and there be an emergency. The midwife also has hospital privileges because of how they are set up.

Last edited by cynb; January 17th, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
January 17th, 2014, 09:22 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynb View Post
I have used the same midwife practice for all my pregnancies, but we moved 30 minutes away last year and DH wants me to find a local doctor. I think a 30 min drive to the office and hospital is no big deal but DH disagrees. Oh and my midwife is in my neighborhood now and we attend the same church now, which I think my DH thinks is weird.

I really don't want to change though. She is amazing!! She practices labor support, so is present with me as soon as I arrive at the hospital. She sits down in the office and talks to me, asks about DH and my other kids, remembers what is going on with me visit to visit, takes me seriously, helps me accomplish my birth goals (unmedicated, delayed clamping, DH cuts the cord, I get to pull baby to my chest after head and shoulders are out, I get to hold the baby and feed baby before turning them over to be cleaned and I usually wait a whole hour before giving baby to anyone.)

I really want to try and convince DH to let me stay out there. I guess my first move is to talk to my midwife and see what she says.

Just want to add that my midwife office is attached to an OB office, so we get all u/s in office and we see an OB at the 20 wk appt so we can get results and meet the Dr, who will be the person we see should things change and there be an emergency. The midwife also has hospital privileges because of how they are set up.

It sounds like you've got the perfect situation with your midwife apart from the drive. I hope you can get dh on board.

DD- 4 years, May 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search