DS and his sleeping - Off topic

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By xzippedx
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 4 Post By amberbanegas
  • 2 Post By angelinal09
  • 1 Post By _Jewlz_
  • 2 Post By bandriessen
  • 1 Post By xMama2Fourx

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2014, 02:09 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
Thought i would post this here since most of you ladies are experienced mothers. I'm sorry if this is slightly off topic but i would love to here your opinions.

My son has been sleeping with us since birth (in the same room but in his own bed)
during the summer me and his daddy split up for about a month or two so during that time i moved him into our bed and he slept beside me, now he will not sleep in his crib (my fault i know) He's a year old + 1 month now.
he sleeps by cuddling with us and when he falls in deep we try to place him back into his crib, he stays there for about 1 hour max + he wakes up to drink 3 bottles of water every night (he only sips) so everytime he's up for a drink he's back in our bed!

i need to fix this and get him settled into his own crib and room before i get too big and before the baby is here
amberbanegas likes this.
January 25th, 2014, 02:35 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, we are dealing with a similar issue here. It seems like we have tried everything. We actually have set up DH a temporary bed by my son's bed and when he comes into our room, DH walks him back to his room, lays him back in his bed and then lays down by him until he is back asleep.

Believe me, its not the best solution. It seems to help, but I don't know how much longer DH is going to be able to keep doing that. So hopefully someone will have some expertise we both can use.
xzippedx likes this.

January 25th, 2014, 04:11 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I know you probably don't wanna hear this… But… You have to be stern. They are going to cry… And that is ok. Put them in their bed… Put them there to nap, put them there to sleep. The quicker you do it, the easier. That is just my advise… Perhaps Google can provide better parenting advise… But neither of my kids got attached to my bed… Maybe you could make him a tent and tell him how cool his bed is and "WOW! You are a BIG BOY! Mommy is soooo proud!"

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com
January 25th, 2014, 04:50 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbanegas View Post
I know you probably don't wanna hear this… But… You have to be stern. They are going to cry… And that is ok. Put them in their bed… Put them there to nap, put them there to sleep. The quicker you do it, the easier."
I agree. It may take a week or so, so be prepared. The crying will probably reach its max length around day 2-3 and then start tapering off. I know it's hard but do not give in; if you do, it'll just teach him that if he cries long enough, he will be able to get what he wants. I would talk him through it (maybe he'll understand, maybe he won't) and tell him that he is going to sleep in his crib tonight, go through whatever routine you usually do for bedtime (minus the sleeping in the same bed), put him in his crib, tell him goodnight, and close the door. Maybe get one of those little crib attachments with the lights overhead and light music? When he wakes, I wouldn't even take him out of his crib; I'd get the water and bring it to him. I'd probably leave a sippy cup of water in his crib next to him so when he does wake, he can take a sip on his own. One thing I'd make sure of is that he can't get out of his crib; my dd would put one of her legs on the spindle of the crib and push her weight against it and sort of climb up and lay down on the top part of the side of the crib.
January 25th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know a lot of people have found the book The No Cry Sleep Solution helpful.
January 25th, 2014, 04:36 PM
_Jewlz_'s Avatar Veteran
I have to agree with the other ladies. @ about a year we had to do the same thing for my DD and the key was consistency in not bringing her back to bed with us & not caving in to the tears. It's tough, but worth it! Good luck!
amberbanegas likes this.
January 25th, 2014, 07:51 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was a nanny previously for about 4 years. I've seen parents do all kinds of parenting and techniques to get their child to sleep through the night and in their own bed. I have read a ton of books and researched like crazy to help the poor kids learn it is okay to sleep in their beds. The only thing that worked was cry it out. It isn't pretty and you will feel like ripping your hair out but once it's done, the difference is amazing. The child is like a whole new person because they're well rested. Do you as an adult feel your best when you wake up repeatedly during the night? No, you don't and neither do children. I'd cry and be grumpy all day ttoo if I didnt get my rest! Nap time also becomes soooo much better, no longer a fight. It is heartbreaking to hear a child cry, but the way I look at it they will cry for a week and learn to sleep or cry all day everyday from being exhausted. Just my two cents.
amberbanegas and _Jewlz_ like this.

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014

Last edited by bandriessen; January 25th, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
January 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM
xMama2Fourx's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbanegas View Post
I know you probably don't wanna hear this… But… You have to be stern. They are going to cry… And that is ok. Put them in their bed… Put them there to nap, put them there to sleep. The quicker you do it, the easier.
TOTALLY agree with this!

Also, your son is young enough to break the habit. As they get older, it's harder to break.
amberbanegas likes this.

January 26th, 2014, 02:27 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
Thank you ladies for your opinions. i tried it last night but with no luck. i will keep trying

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search