New or Used? Does it matter to you...

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree37Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2014, 04:51 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
So, the earlier thread about worth v. waste got me thinking: do you shop thrift/consignment stores or scour CL for bargains on stuff like baby/kids items (or other stuff)? I LOVE buying stuff like clothes secondhand but my dh HATES it. He'd much rather I buy new. I've bought brand new (tags still attached) clothes from the above mentioned places for, like, 80% off retail. I just can't justify spending retail on clothing, esp. when the kids are little and grow so quickly! Not to say that they don't get new clothing too (esp. my older ones---although they do enjoy going to Platos Closet for the name brands they like at a fraction of the cost of retail). But a majority of clothing for my younger kids comes secondhand. I also buy some baby items (Moby wrap, for example) used. So....do you buy used? Why or why not? If so, what do you buy?
Shades of Grey likes this.
February 26th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
A lot of the clothes we buy are used. They grow SO fast at this age...and get things so dirty. I don't often by brand new.

I get some toys used as well.

Things like car seats should NEVER be bought used. Never ever.
JBMadd2 and angelinal09 like this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

February 26th, 2014, 06:41 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are a few things that without a question buy new. Those are a Carseat, breast pump, and my moby. And I guess the moby wouldn't be to bad used but with the size of them it would be next to impossible to check it for flaws in the store. My worry would be not finding it until there was a baby in it.
But other than that... Why waste the money on clothes! I am all about the used!
angelinal09 likes this.

February 26th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Veteran
We buy all of the clothes we can resale. I don't buy baby products used except clothes. It just grossed me out since I know newborns are so fragile. I would rather do without, but that's just me. I am sure u could clean most things enough. ;-) I wouldn't do car seats unless it was a friend I am scared of them bring in a wreck. We were in a very serious accident a couple of years back w all of our kids and car seats are very important to me :-D
angelinal09 likes this.
February 26th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no problem buying used. In fact I will look around to see if I can find some of the things I need on CL or consignment . But I do have specific items I want so I won't buy unless it's those exact items. I can afford to buy new but for some things I just don't see the point if you are only going to use them for a few months. I also have no problem buying used clothes but I am pretty picky and they must be like new. So most of the "staple" clothes I buy new. Dress clothes and such are usually in great shape even used.

Oh but I would not buy a used breast pump or a used car seat (the car seat only if I was very close to the person and knew exactly how they handled their seats... I do know a few people that I would trust to buy from as they know the rules better than I do!).
angelinal09 likes this.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

February 26th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I agree with those who said no used car seats! And, yeah, there is other stuff I wouldn't buy used...shoes, breast pumps/materials, bottles, etc. are just some. And I made the mistake of buying a used swing once; it seemed fine until I got it home and it conked out after two nights use. May have been completely coincidental but...
February 26th, 2014, 07:31 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Even better - hand me downs from your older kids OR from friends older children.
angelinal09 likes this.

February 26th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxcrew View Post
Even better - hand me downs from your older kids OR from friends older children.
Oh, yes, that too. I have large plastic buckets in the basement sorted by size/sex. My 7 yo ds just grew into my almost 15 yo ds's old clothes; he was very excited about that, lol. Each season I take all the kids "shopping" in the basement before we make an actual shopping list of who needs what. Although it doesn't always work out as they grow into their own styles...my 7 yo ds went through a little punk rocker-ish phase when he was about 4/5 yo. He wore skinny jeans with rocker-esque t-shirts (think guitars, skulls, etc.). My superhero-loving current 4 yo ds won't wear any of his older brothers old clothes, lol.
Kayakgirl likes this.
February 26th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breast pump, pacifiers, carseat, bottles, cloth toys - all of those will be new. Also books - I know it's weird, but babies chew on books like they're going out of style, and it's just not always easy to effectively clean them, so I'll probably stick to new books.

Pretty much anything else, I'm willing to take second hand. I'd be most comfortable with taking it from a friend or someone I know, but if it's clearly in good condition at a resale shop, I could probably stomach it.
angelinal09 likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 26th, 2014, 08:45 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
We were very fortunate to receive everything new for DD thanks to generous friends and family. Over the years, I have not hesitated to take hand-me-downs from friends... this has been fantastic! I don't think I'll need much else this time around, but I do scour CL every now and then for good deals. Most of our outside play equipment is second-hand and purchased at a huge discount. It just sit outside getting wrecked anyway!
angelinal09 likes this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
February 26th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Super Mommy
When I was prego with my youngest dd my hubby ended up in the hospital and lost his job, our landlord gave us everything we needed for baby, tons of cloths, swing,bassinet,stroller, everything and her sister in law gave us a brand new car seat. We have passed everything on to ppl I know that needed it as dd grew.
I love second hand. Unless it's on sale for a great price we buy most things second hand.
I don't buy pacifiers,bottles,pumps or carseats second hand. We have awesome consignment and thrift stores here
angelinal09 likes this.

February 26th, 2014, 09:02 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Almost everything we got for DD was new. At that point we didn't know anyone in our area with kids so we didn't get anything passed on to us. We got a few of the bigger baby toys off of CL like the excersaucer and something similar.

This time I have a gift card to a baby consignment store so we'll be getting lots of used stuff. But for some reason I don't like used clothes for babies even if they look clean. I still have most of DD's old clothes up to about a year old so if it's a girl there will be lots of hand-me-downs.
angelinal09 likes this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
February 26th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kto1111 View Post
We were very fortunate to receive everything new for DD thanks to generous friends and family. Over the years, I have not hesitated to take hand-me-downs from friends... this has been fantastic! I don't think I'll need much else this time around, but I do scour CL every now and then for good deals. Most of our outside play equipment is second-hand and purchased at a huge discount. It just sit outside getting wrecked anyway!
Oh, yeah I forgot about the outdoor play stuff....the cabins, playhouses, wagons, Step Two/Little Tikes cars/trucks/etc. All used, all in great condition for much less than retail.
February 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure I should know (and probably do really), but what is "CL"?
angelinal09 likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
I buy used for kids but get impatient looking for used stuff for me or the house. I'm not a shopper, I'd rather walk in, know what I'm getting, grab it and go. We just bought a used mamaroo for this baby for $60 and will likely hit up lots of garage sales this summer. We won't buy used carseats, mattresses, bottles/pacifiers, breast pump, etc. I only got used stuff as a kid and so I do tend to spoil Carter with new stuff more than I should....
angelinal09 likes this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslily1125 View Post
I'm sure I should know (and probably do really), but what is "CL"?
CL is Craigslist

"I only got used stuff as a kid and so I do tend to spoil Carter with new stuff more than I should...."

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/ne...#ixzz2uS89WJiG

I did too. But I got all the old, worn out type used stuff that came from the bottom of the barrel church donations, etc. I aim to buy my kids quality used clothing that is clean and in good to excellent condition (and still somewhat "stylish"---I had the old out of style type clothing even when I was an older kid which I hated).
CoreenaC likes this.
February 26th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran
I don't consider things from siblings used lol. Can u imagine buying all new stuff 10 times?! Oi! This baby will probably need all new clothes and a new diaper bag. There are a few other things I would like that aren't necessities the baby will need new clothes because 7 out of 9 have been born in the spring and all of our girls were born in the spring.
February 26th, 2014, 11:18 AM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
That's it exactly, the old stuff that basically had holes in them already! I can't blame my mom, there are three of us girls within 18 months (I'm a twin) and she went from a worthless husband to single mom to happily married but added two stepkids. We aren't well off but we work hard and I'm not above buying used, by any means, but it seems the used places around here have few boys clothes in toddler size and so I get tired of waiting and go buy new.
angelinal09 likes this.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
February 26th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am all for buying used clothes and blankets, some toys even. I have gotten several cloth diapers used, too. I am picky about the quality and it seems like its harder to find boy stuff in good condition. I did get my boppy pillow at a second hand store but it was in perfect condition.
angelinal09 likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
February 26th, 2014, 04:21 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I can wash it in the washing machine, I will buy it used. I got alot of clothes and blankets, boppy covers and bibs used. I have also gotten a used crib before. But I won't buy car seats, mattresses, bottles/pacifiers or a lot of toys used. I just never feel like they are clean.
angelinal09 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search