Home Birth/ Mid-wife

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By ninothebeano
  • 1 Post By bec9494
  • 1 Post By tiffany&co.
  • 2 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Josie+Shpala
  • 3 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By pr1madona
  • 3 Post By chellesinwonderland
  • 3 Post By flitabout

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2014, 11:46 AM
Regular
I am considering having a home birth with a midwife. I have watched videos and read a lot of stuff and it just seems like most hospitals don't want to get sued so they force medications on you. Like if you are in labor for too long, they say your baby is at risk and you need to take meds to speed it up. The meds that is to speed it up cause faster, stronger contractions which make you want the epidural. The epidural slows down your contractions.. It's a vicious cycle. Mid-wives try to keep it as natural as possible. Even if the baby is breached, most of the time, if monitored, a baby can be turned rather than rushed into c-section. A c-section is a much larger surgery than many people realize.

This is what I got out of all the research i've done...
The downside of having a mid-wife is that most insurances don't cover much if any.
Home water birth seems cool.
flitabout likes this.
March 1st, 2014, 01:18 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
By law insurances have to cover a midwife, yo umay just have to call and speak to the right people. But you can have a natural birth in a hospital. I've had all 4 of mine in a hospital. They don't force me to have meds I don't want, I've never been threatened with a CS. A lot depends on your provider too. I go to a practice with an OB and midwives, and the OB is the most natural friendly OB I've ever met. She let me stay in labor for 18hrs with #3, without once mentioning Pitocin even when I stalled at 7cm for hours. Baby looked fine, I was fine (though tired lol). You can also look into local birth centers.

March 1st, 2014, 01:40 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah it sounds like the info you found is a little biased. In most cases you can have a completely drug free birth in the hospital. Our hospital even has birthing tubs. It just depends, so ask around and find a provider you like. Personally I have a Certified Nurse Midwife who delivers in the hospital. My last baby was born with me on my hands and knees and caught by my hubby -- in the hospital! It was great.

March 1st, 2014, 02:09 PM
CoreenaC's Avatar Carter-Carter's Momma
If you want a home birth, go for it! My twin just had one a week ago, today, and it was beautiful! She had a natural, drug free birth in the hospital with her first son but felt a home birth was a better option for her this time. Have the birth you want, with realistic expectations, where you feel comfortable. My son was a vacuum assisted birth due to heart decels, I did have the epidural but his cord was getting compressed between his shoulder and the birth canal.
DS2-EDD 9/10/14
*Thank you so much *Kiliki* for the siggy!*
March 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran
I would really do your research before you decide on home birth. Being in the healthcare field I am a little bias because I have seen many negative outcomes from home birth. Please please please if your baby is breech do not do a home delivery. If it does not turn it most likely will get stuck and you will suffocate the baby in your vagina.

Also, there are numerous facilities that allow you to have a natural experience without pushing meds. You need to find the right provider. I do think that a hospital environment is the best for you and baby. Incase something goes wrong, alot can go wrong...those 20 minutes waiting for an ambulance can mean you or your babies life. The increased number of hospital births is why less women die giving childbirth.

The decision is ultimately yours, however be an informed consumer and talk with your doctor and the hospital.

March 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
babyDamico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a home water birth planned for my first.... but a last minute transfer in duty stations put a wrench in my plans. I wound up delivering at a hospital and I am SO THANKFUL I did. My daughter needed major medical intervention after birth... including a life saving blood transfusion.

If I had delivered at home, she may not be here today. Everything happens for a reason!

Our hospital also supports natural labor and they have some rooms with birthing tubs.

Last edited by babyDamico; March 1st, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
March 1st, 2014, 02:40 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Make sure the info you're getting is from an unbiased source. Home birth is not as safe as hospital birth. Find a midwife who will do a hospital delivery or an OB who seems more natural. They do exist. Birthing centers are also a really good option. This is one of the few topics I feel so passionately about. I know too many babies and/or mothers who would have died if they had been at home. In the case of the baby being cut off from oxygen, literally minutes make the difference.it doesnt matter if the nearest hospital is only 10 minutes away. That 10 minutes could mean thw difference between a normal life for your child or a very different life, if at all. You don't want to live with that decision for the rest of your life.

I think there's a tendency now to regard birth as safe and routine. That perception is due to advances in medicine. Up until a very short time ago birth was quite dangerous with a high mortality rate for both mother and child.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
March 1st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Super Mommy
I would also say keep doing your research. I think you'll find a great balance of the type of birth experience you want as well as covering bases in case there are any unforeseen circumstances. There really is only so much planning you can do for childbirth!

Mine were all hospital babies and we knew ahead of time that my #1 had a heart defect and would need major medical intervention upon birth. That didn't stop my OB from allowing me to go through 25+ hours of labor and over an hour of pushing, he did not rush me to a C-section and I am so thankful, I think it was the best for me and my son. My birth experiences have all been so different, I never though I would have begged for Pitocin for #3, that was such a stubborn labor! And for me, I love an epidural, not b/c it numbs the contrax (which it does, but #2 crowned before the epi took effect, so I felt every contraction and actually felt that to be quite empowering)...but that baby was almost 9lbs and I tore quite a bit, I thank the epidural for numbing me while they stitched me up!!
CoreenaC likes this.
March 1st, 2014, 03:59 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im not against home birth at all. I love the idea of a birthing center and was planning on that with my last. Then the diagnosis of Down Syndrome made it a very medical scenario so we went to the hospital. This one will also be at the hospital. My thing is, you have to go in with realistic expectations and a supportive dr/midwife/doula who is on the same page. I think the scenarios where women get pushed into things are more common when the women are overwhelmed and less informed. Im ok with having a hospital birth. No one is going to push anything on me, especially when Im in labor. I have done my research and have had 2 already, I know what I am comfortable with and what Im not. I think my husband would hurt someone if they suggested cytotec or other things I have said Im not ok with. I guess what Im saying is, if you educate yourself, read as much as you can, and go in with confidence, and have a good support system, you can have a successful birth in a hospital .

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
March 1st, 2014, 05:15 PM
Regular
Thanks everyone..
I am still trying to decide. I know if the whole pregnancy seems low risk, home birth can be a nice option, but I am also thinking about the last minute risks and getting to a hospital. I do really like my current doctor and the hospital I would be having it at if I don't decide on a home birth. I may go take a tour and see what they have there. I believe they have water births there too. :-)
March 1st, 2014, 05:40 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think taking a tour of your hospital is a great idea, especially since you already like your OB. It also might help to take some natural childbirth classes like Hypnobirthing, Bradley Method, etc. That way you will know exactly what you want and will be able to advocate for it when it comes time to deliver.
Shades of Grey likes this.

March 1st, 2014, 06:00 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think everyone should research their birthing options and be as informed as they can be. I have seen women have wonderful home births and wonderful, drug free and epidural hospital births. I, myself, have had c-sections due to medical complications, but have always had a pretty good experience also. There is a board on JM that is for people who have had or are considering home births. You should check it out and get input from other moms as part of your research process

Oh and welcome to the board. My name is Valerie, I am one of the hosts. Happy to have you here
navywifey2003 and CoreenaC like this.

March 1st, 2014, 06:06 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I'm considering a home birth as well. Their is a mummy in my June 2013 Playgroup who's had 3 (I think) successful home births. Not saying ALL are successful but she's the mod of the home birth group and i'm sure will answer any questions
navywifey2003 likes this.
March 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Hi! Valerie sent me a message saying you were considering hb. I'm Lyndsey and have had 2 beautiful home births with a midwife. There is a lot a misconceptions about it, first recent data has shown for low risk women home birth is a safe option when it is attended by a licensed midwife. During your care you are offered everything that an OB does, such as glucose testing, ect. Some an even give an iv for gbs. Yes you need to do research, interview midwives, just like there are bad doctors there are bad midwives. Another misconception is that birthing centers are like hospitals, wrong. Most birth centers are just like hb except you need to leave, and transfer in the event of an emergency. Unless it's attached to a hospital. Birth has risks no matter where or how you birth. I'd like to invite you to the hb board and ask whatever questions you would like. We are happy to answer them as best we can.

Home Birth - JustMommies Message Boards

March 1st, 2014, 07:31 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanted a birth center or home birth too. I had my 1st 2 in hospitals and while I got the birth exactly how I wanted with #2, I wanted a water birth with #3. I went into preterm labor at 26wks with her though and felt more comfortable managed by an OB the rest of the pregnancy. Still ended up with natural delivery in the hospital. With #4, I again thought about it, but after finding out about her heart defect, that wasn't going to happen. I did tons of research after her diagnosis, since it was out of the blue and no heart problems ran in either side of the family. Turns out a lot of heart defects are undiagnosed prenatally. My baby would most likely have died if she hadn't been born in a hospital. So while home births are statistically a safe option for low risk mothers, you never know if your baby will have a problem. At least in the hospital you get a day or 2 of baby being monitored and hopefully pulse ox testing done. You aren't sent home after a few hours. You just have to know what you want, and stick to it. For example, my birth plan has in big letters that Pitocin isn't to even be brought in my room unless I am hemorrhaging (I bleed very minimally so that's never happened). I caught a nurse trying to hang it during labor and flipped out on her. My midwife came in and said we wouldn't be needing that. OB never even mentioned it during my 18hr 3rd labor.
Shades of Grey and babyDamico like this.

March 1st, 2014, 09:37 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninothebeano View Post
Thanks everyone..
I am still trying to decide. I know if the whole pregnancy seems low risk, home birth can be a nice option, but I am also thinking about the last minute risks and getting to a hospital. I do really like my current doctor and the hospital I would be having it at if I don't decide on a home birth. I may go take a tour and see what they have there. I believe they have water births there too. :-)
This is my first baby so I'm by no means an expert and can only tell mention one story that I've heard about a watertub in a hospital. The hospital had a watertub and everyone saw it on the tour but when it came to the day of delivery, they weren't allowed to use it. Apparently it was hardly used (maybe never!) and needed to be cleaned. The person who was responsible for cleaning it wasn't working that day! So if you go on a tour you should ask about how frequently the tub gets used, when it was last used, etc. This is all based on one story but it can't hurt to ask
March 2nd, 2014, 02:27 AM
Veteran
Don't listen to horror stories. Hospitals and home births both have them. Where do you want to deliver? Obviously, you have to be low risk for a home birth, but it is done successfully all the time. I have chosen a midwife, but a hospital birth so my husband can feel more at ease. That way I know I won't be pressured into interventions. The problem is there are bad obs and I have heard of bad midwives. Find someone you are comfortable with, who will support your choice, but also keep you and baby safe if plans need to change.
Urchin, Kayakgirl and rudebella like this.
March 2nd, 2014, 02:57 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a firm supporter of homebirth. There is nothing anybody's horror stories are going to change that and just like Navy wife mentioned you have to find a qualified licensed CPM or CNM. But most CNMs only work out of hospitals. Sadly I would trust a CPM over a CNM any day. Because CNMs only have to attend 25 births to get their certification and a CPM have to attend a minimum of 75 to get certified.
Hospitals do have their place. But when I hear about birth being referred to as being preformed, it sorta makes my blood boil. Birth is not a medical procedure! The OB did not preform it. Mom did. They may preform a c/s but not a natural vaginal birth!

March 4th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran
I had a home birth and my sister in law had three home births. It's a very safe option, you plan for emergency circumstances and have competent midwives and nurse there to help you. Above all, no matter which route you decide to take HAVE A BIRTH PLAN and if you use the hospital have a doula or a really outspoken and educated partner who will speak up on your behalf. Plenty of hospitals say they will do unmedicated births but then you get nurses or obs who push for pit which then 9 times out of 10 leads to epi which can then cause a drop in baby's heart rate which then leads you to c sec. So, it's just making sure there are people there with you who know what you want and will speak up for you. A doula is a great option for this! PM if you have any specific home birth questions.

TTC #2 for 4 months
DS 3.4 years old

BFP- 1/6/14!

March 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
KHawk's Avatar Super Mommy
Lots of great advice and views so far.... from my experience I would like to chime in with the moms encouraging research on the hospital side. Along with researching home birth of course since that is your desire I had two natural births (pain med free) in two different hospitals.. the first experience the dr was really for it.. he was an MD actually (smaller town) and he was so supportive.. room was dim.. I even pushed on my side... neither did an episiotomy because I didn't need it.. 2nd time I could tell the dr wanted me to just sign up for the epidural in case.. which I didn't lol but he was respectful I didn't want pain medicine... both let me do my thing.. let me labor in peace.. it was great.. it was just nice to be there if I did need anything from them. The nursing staff the 2nd time was more pushy which annoyed me.. I was a 2nd time mom.. but I kindly told them to back off and they did.. each nurse is different too.

Tags
home birth , mid-wife , water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search