Having a Hard Time :(

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
I know I should probably just be thankful that my pregnancy is going well (aside from all the first tri bleeding), but the last few days have really sucked. I won't be annoyed if you don't read this veritable book, I just need to get it off my chest. Having a very hard time coping.

At about 3 a.m. on Sunday (DH works late shift, so that is often our bedtime), I noticed that our older cat had yellow skin in his ears and on his lips. Well, jaundice is awful bad no-good news, so off we went to the emergency vet. They kept him stable, but couldn't do much diagnostically.

So this morning I moved him from the e-vet to our new regular vet. Who, as it turns out, also couldn't do much diagnostically. So I packed him up with his IV fluids, and drove two hours to our old vet for an ultrasound.

The ultrasound was also not definitive. They didn't see any tumors or masses, but his pancreas and liver were both enlarged. The vet's guess is severe pancreatitis concurrent with hepatitis. Tomorrow he gets a liver biopsy to rule out cancer. Neither of those diagnoses have a good prognosis, though he has a small chance with all but certain types of cancer.

I adore this cat. He's so laid back and affectionate. When we first started TTC, DH and I joked that both of our older male cats would love the baby, but in different ways. Well, 2 years ago we lost our other older male cat to lung cancer (I'd had him since middle school). I can't imagine losing our other old man cat before ever getting to see him interact with the baby (not to mention the effect this could have on my already dysthymic husband, this is his childhood cat). This is killing me. And the pregnancy hormones are making me particularly weepy, which isn't helping.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
May 5th, 2014, 08:16 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be have a hard time, too! My dogs are my world, I'd do anything for them! I'll pray for your kitty and for you!

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014
May 5th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Buda's Avatar Veteran
I get it. My childhood cat is also still kicking around. He's the sweetest creature I've ever met. Really starting to show his age (almost 20 yrs) and I know there won't be much they can do for him. I hope your kitty makes a turn around or they can figure out a way to make him comfortable. He's an old friend that's always been there for you. You're doing the best you can to do the same for him and that's what matters!

May 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry Hope your cat gets better and hugs to you and your husband too!
May 6th, 2014, 05:26 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Oh no keep us posted on what is going on with him. And I hope you get good news. I have a 16 year old dog. Why do they have to get old?

May 6th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I am so sorry Your poor kitty! Pets are part of the family too, and having them go through an illness is so heartbreaking!

Praying for the best outcome for him! *hugs*

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

May 6th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry Rebecca. I have a hard time even having cats or dogs because it hurts so much when you have to say goodbye to them. I hope that he takes a turn for the better and gets to see your sweet baby, but if he doesn't then take heart in the fact that he stuck around to see you and your hubby through the often-heartbreaking process of TTC. Keep us posted, and you vent however much you need to!

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 6th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
That would be hard - I hope everything will be ok for him. I too have an old man cat and can't stand the thought of anything happening to him.

May 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM
myfav5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big hugs! Hope he gets feeling better!

May 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i cant imagine how hard this is for you. i have two fur babies (two pups, one is almost 5 and the other is 4.5) and i cant stand the thought of ever having to say goodbye to them. but i gotta say, when i read your post, i honestly had the thought that your kitty must know you'll be ok with him moving on, now that you have your own little one on the way.
May 6th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Super Mommy
Aw, sorry to hear about your kitty. But I too believe that he knows how much you love him and that you also have another love coming soon. xx
May 7th, 2014, 07:26 PM
pinstripedbabe's Avatar Veteran
Oh I am so sorry!!! I too have a cat and love her endlessly. I can't stand to think of something bad happening to her. I have a plaque in my kitchen that says "cats leave footprints on your heart." It's so true. I hope your kitty starts getting better!!! Lots of love and prayers being sent your way xox
May 7th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So Sorry!
May 7th, 2014, 10:34 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
Since we left KWT, Naruto has disappeared and that's been hard on all of us. Xoxo

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com
May 8th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
Thank you for your kindness, ladies. It really is a big help, even though I haven't been posting. I'm still having trouble coping, but he has taken a turn (however temporary) for the better!

The vet actually put off the biopsy until this morning, because his blood wasn't clotting correctly. He had to get a blood transfusion before the surgery. This morning (and yesterday, before we knew the surgery was off) I was having these horrible flashbacks to getting the phone call at work that my old man cat had metastatic lung cancer. It was literally completely out of the blue. The ONLY symptoms had been a little lost weight and a sometimes low appetite. I even made DH answer the phone when the vet called today.

Anyway, kitty is HOME. Drove four hours to pick him up after the biopsy. We still won't know if there is liver cancer underlying the pancreatitis+hepatitis until the results of the biopsy come back (and there was a "suspicious, nodular looking" spot on the liver, though the vet said it could simply be scar tissue). Trying to avoid thinking about the results coming in. The important thing for now is that he appears to be through the acute episode of pancreatitis, so he isn't believed to be in immediate danger anymore! Still faintly yellow, shaved in three places, probably sore as can be, but ravenous and happy to be home after four days being shuttled around different vets and constantly on IV fluids+syringe feeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbanegas View Post
Since we left KWT, Naruto has disappeared and that's been hard on all of us. Xoxo
I'm so sorry, Amber. A good friend of mine had a dog go missing just last week when our region was dealing with serious flooding, and it was heartbreaking. We thought for sure she'd somehow managed to fall into the drainage ditch at her house and get washed away. She did end up turning up, just dirty and hungry. Prayers that Naruto does the same! Huge hugs.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search