Baby's eye color

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I remember someone posted this in my last DDC, and I found it pretty neat!

I know this child is pretty much guaranteed blue eyes. What about your babies?

What Color Eyes will your Children Have? | Understanding Genetics

And here's another for all sorts of traits:
Quick Trait Calculator - Genetic Heredity Calculator
Caerus and pinstripedbabe like this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

May 6th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Mslily1125's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL I went through the whole questioning...but out of myself, DF and all relatives except my mother and her family, we all have brown eyes. So it's pretty safe to assume there will be no beautiful baby blues on this little darling!

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 6th, 2014, 07:55 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I can almost guarantee what these two will look like: ginormous heads, dark brown eyes, tons of black hair, and probably pretty big for twins. Although they aren't identical, I'm concerned about being able to tell them apart as all my kids have looked alike when they were newborns. I'll be leaving the hospital bracelets on for a while, lol.
May 6th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran
My husband and I did genetic testing about 6 months ago through 23andMe. One of the tools they have is an inheritance calculator. It says our baby 72% chance of blue/gray eyes, 27% chance of green/hazel eyes and a 1% brown/black eyes. I've included the image so you can see the other traits that were calculated.

May 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The quick calculator said 50% brown and 48% blue. Sounds about right. Oldest ds has blue (well actually blue/green/gray depending on factors, like dh's). Younger ds has brown.

So basically 50/50 chance on this one. I've joked before that a 3rd child might end up with one brown eye and one blue, lol.
May 6th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran
50/50 Blue or Green
May 6th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Veteran
Ha ha ha! The calculator said mine and dh's children have 0% chance of having red hair. Five of our 9 children have red hair! We wi see what this baby girl has :-D. It also said they have 0% chance if having dimples. All 9 of them have dimples
kto1111 likes this.

Last edited by Mrsknif; May 6th, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
May 6th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
That calculator's pretty cool - thanks for sharing!

May 6th, 2014, 09:27 AM
katie2510's Avatar Veteran
Mine said 50% brown and 25% blue and 25% green. My oldest has blue and youngest has brown

May 6th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Super Mommy
We are 80% brown, 16% green and 8% blue.
DS has hazel/green, DD1 has blue and DD2 has brown, we shall see for baby!
May 6th, 2014, 04:54 PM
xMama2Fourx's Avatar Veteran
I don't even need to take the quiz, they'll be brown. LOL. All my kids have brown eyes...would LOVE a blue eyed baby but it won't happen unless we adopt ;-)

May 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Super Mommy
Anyone know how genetic curly hair is? That's the only thing I'm dying to know about this little one as far as traits go. DH's family all have curly hair but mine is straight... I'm so hoping for curly hair!! About all I know is that we will have blue eyes babies

Last edited by JBMadd2; May 7th, 2014 at 05:25 AM.
May 6th, 2014, 10:13 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm the odds aren't good for anything but brown but there's a chance. DD had one blue eye and one brown when she was born. They're now two different shades of brown.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
May 7th, 2014, 01:39 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
Mine has a 68% of having brown eyes, SO has a grandfather with blue eyes and his mother has green eyes. i can't tell since i'm adopted i dont know about our genetics but i think i had some blue eyes in the family. so we'll see
May 7th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Mine said 50% Brown 47% Blue and 3% Green. My oldest has blue eyes and the youngest has brown so this baby will be the tie breaker.
May 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM
SouthernMamaBri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via MSN to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via Skype™ to SouthernMamaBri
My eyes are brown, DH's hazel, so I can almost guarantee this baby will have brown eyes as all of our kids do. I would be extremely surprised if he/she had any other color.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my AMAZING siggie!
May 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids all look the same My boys are blue eyed blonds and my girls are hazel eyed with sandy brown hair. The only question I get it ponder is what color hazel Natalie has her daddy's more blue and Autumn has my more green hazel.

May 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
90% green, 10% blue. We both have green eyes. Our oldest son has green eyes and our second sons eyes seem to be staying dark blue.
Caerus likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
May 7th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMadd2 View Post
Anyone know how genetic curly hair is? That's the only thing I'm dying to know about this little one as far as traits go. DH's family all have curly hair but mine is straight... I'm so hoping for curly hair!! About all I know is that we will have blue eyes babies
From the genetic testing that I did, it says that "hair texture is highly heritable, with heritability estimates ranging between 85-95%." There are probably multiple genes that control hair curl but the main one they report on, has 3 possibilities in terms of the combinations of these genes:

AA In Europeans, straighter hair on average.
AG In Europeans, straighter hair on average.
GG In Europeans, slightly curlier hair on average.

If your husband is GG and you're AG, there is a 50% chance of your kids having curly hair. If your husband is GG and you're AA, there's a 0% chance of your kids having curly hair. But this is assuming that this is the only gene that controls hair curl and that's probably not the case.

My husband, my parents and I are all GG and all have curly hair. But I had pin-straight hair (that I loved ) until I was 14 years old so the genetics are definitely not simple!

Clearly I had an interest in genetics before getting pregnant
May 8th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
I don't remember the exact percentages, but it is pretty much a toss-up for us. DH has brown hair, brown eyes, and I have blue eyes, blonde hair. We both have a parent with blue eyes, blonde hair and a parent with brown eyes, brown hair. His brother has blue eyes and blonde hair. My brother and sister are one of each. I'm dying to find out what our baby will have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
90% green, 10% blue. We both have green eyes. Our oldest son has green eyes and our second sons eyes seem to be staying dark blue.
Green eyes are so gorgeous!

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search