Bringing home a kitten

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By lemieuxcrew
  • 1 Post By angelinal09
  • 2 Post By Caerus
  • 2 Post By GreyEyedGirl
  • 2 Post By bugz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2014, 08:19 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
I have been wanting a kitten for awhile now and my fiance finally agreed!!But I was doing some research online and it said not to get new cats or kittens while pregnant. I don't plan on changing the litterbox or anything like That for now,and I plan on taking the kitten to the vet for it's shots.Is it really not safe to get a new kitten? I thought pregnant women are at risk of diseases during the first trimester? It has been raised indoors only.
June 25th, 2014, 10:13 AM
katie2510's Avatar Veteran
hmmm I'm no help I'm sorry but I've always wanted a kitten too

June 25th, 2014, 10:13 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
If you want a kitten....get a kitten! And all I will have to say about it is AWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Im a bad influence.
katie2510 and xzippedx like this.

June 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
It's my understanding that the only risk associated between cats/kittens and pregnant women is toxoplasmosis. Even then, if the cat's an indoor only cat and UTD on all vaccinations, there's no need to worry. The risk comes when a pregnant woman changes the litter of an outdoor cat. Then there is a chance that 1. the cat could have toxoplasmosis and 2. it could transfer to the pregnant woman through the dirty litter.

So, in my expert (haha) opinion, it's not an issue if the kittens vaccinated and is an indoor cat. If you want to be extra careful, don't change the litter. Btw, I've had two (indoor, UTD on shots) cats with my last 3 kids and have changed the litter throughout (unfortunately) and have had no problem.

Post a pic if/when you get one!
xzippedx likes this.
June 25th, 2014, 11:06 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to breed cats and I changed litter on 10+ boxes a day. You are good I have to say I have never heard of never getting one while pregnant. But again all were properly vetted and all were indoors.

June 25th, 2014, 11:08 AM
KeliRevels's Avatar Super Mommy
I would just take precautions, and it sounds like you have plans to. We got two adult cats last month (I don't even like cats, haha, but I love these guys now) and I change the litter when DF gets lazy. I just make sure to wash my hands and do it quickly. These guys were raised indoors and adopted so they were up to date on all of their shots, as well.

TBH, though, I do worry about it sometimes and I'm slightly disappointed in DF that we agreed on these cats FOR him and he understood that I can't change the litter until she is born and he has slacked. But that's just because I'd hate to take a risk and be in that small percentage.

Ultimately, it's up to you what you feel safe/comfortable doing! Kittens are so fun And I love our cats now and can't imagine not having them, so I don't regret it.
June 25th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran
I'm going to be the naysayer and say you should wait.

I have cats and I find them a complete pain to manage, even though I love them to bits and have had one for 15 years and the other for 13 years. Because I've had them so long there's little risk of toxoplasmosis, so I've kept changing the litter. We do it twice or more a week and sweep all the time yet there is still litter getting tracked around my house. It's so gross!

Other annoyances with having pets with babies include:
- The cats waking my son MULTIPLE times by yowling or running around the house like maniacs, knocking things over. (Nearly killed them for that, happened again just two days ago and I was so mad I almost pitched the cat out the door.)
- The toddler is fascinated with the cats' food dishes, which we don't leave out but canned cat food, yuck, I don't want him eating it.
- The cat water, which is always sitting out available to the cats and is a great source of joy for our toddler who loves to play in water.

There is nowhere in our house that the cats can get to that the toddler can't, he's a fantastic climber. I can't hide their food and water anywhere.

Basically, I'd say wait until you're settled with the new babe before introducing anything else you have to take care of. I honestly wish we didn't have cats, although of course I will take proper care of them for their full lives.

Edit: there is one really great thing about having cats with the baby though, which is that he has learned to love and be respectful of animals (unlike our neighbor's 2yo who is terrified of basically every animal.

Last edited by GreyEyedGirl; June 25th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.
June 25th, 2014, 01:40 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I tend to agree with GreyEyedGirl. I don't think getting a kitten now would be harmful to your health, but there are a lot of other things to think about.

Have you had cats before? I've only had one, and while he was much easier to care for than our dog, he could still be quite a PITA. Especially as a kitten -- he'd be spazzing all over the house in the middle of the night. His sharp-***** claws would scrape the crap out of us (they'd even poke through our clothes and sheets in bed). The litter messes, the yucky food... bleh. Oh, and our cat needed free reign of the entire house, so we had to sleep with our bedroom door propped open. Otherwise he'd sit and bang/paw at it to get in/out. Thankfully he never seemed to care much about being in DD's room because you have to keep their door shut. I read too many stories about kitties jumping in bed with babies and suffocating them.

I don't know. It's a totally personal decision but I don't think it'd be too bad of an idea to wait a bit. If it were your first child, I'd say definitely wait because you likely couldn't care less about pets once you have your baby. But since you have one and still want a kitty, maybe you really do.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
June 25th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
The reason for the warning against bringing a new cat or kitten into the house while you are pregnant is indeed because of toxoplasmosis. While toxo isn't really an issue with indoor cats, often the newly brought home cat might have spent some time outdoors before coming home with you. Does that make sense?

For example, we have 3 cats. 2 are older, and we've had for years. Our newest found me at a gas station last September as a horribly underweight, flea-covered 4-5 week old. When I first got pregnant, I stopped changing litter and got a little more intense about cat hygiene. Our doc was not at all worried about our older two cats, but she was concerned that the kitten might have toxo from her time before us. I ended up opting to get tested for it at my first blood test (it was negative).

As it turns out, when a cat gets toxo, they will only infect others for about a month. After that, they are immune to getting it again. Since I tested negative, and none of the kitties have been outside since Yoshi came home in September, I'm not worried about it anymore. If you are still nervous (or bring home a formerly outdoor cat), be extra careful during their first month home. Scoop cat litter every day (since it takes a day for the bad stuff in their poop to become able to infect you). Wash your hands afterward, and don't eat it. Even better, use it as an excuse to get your guy to do it for you. The risk is truly very small if you follow those guidelines.

Also, you live in the US, right? Toxo is much more common in Europe than it is here. Hence why I've had 4 cats and fostered many others, but still don't toxo.

Lastly, I'm just going to chime in from the opposite direction. I personally have not found cats to be difficult keepers at all. This far along in our pregnancies, I would probably advise against a new puppy, but kittens (or an older cat) are much more independent. You have to set boundaries and be consistent, but they are very adaptable. You just have to figure out whether you really want a cat, or you are dying to have a baby to nurture. Try fostering a cat or kitten for a local rescue group or shelter if you've never had one before. Then you get the experience of having a cat, without the commitment (and if you fall in love, you can always adopt said foster!). I wouldn't worry about the danger of a cat suffocating a baby, though no pet needs to be left unsupervised with a baby. Pillows and crib bumpers are much more likely to cause problems than a cat.
Cats kill babies? Bunk, experts say - Houston Chronicle
Busting a myth: Do cats kill babies? - Federal Way Mirror

</endbook>

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm not even a big cat person. Dogs are more my speed. DH is the one who has said he'd love to run a cat sanctuary someday.
angelinal09 and xzippedx like this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven

Last edited by Caerus; June 25th, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
June 25th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I personally wouldn't be concerned about the health issues - as long as you're not changing the box and it's up to date on shots, I don't see that as a problem. My concern if I got a kitten now would be getting the cat adjusted to our household right before everything gets turned upside down again once baby arrives - it might be quite confusing or upsetting for the cat, depending on it's personality. I am the owner of 2 cats and one in particular is very sensitive to major changes - we've put him through one new baby and moving to a new house already. Thankfully he doesn't react with bad behavior, but I imagine some cats would.

June 26th, 2014, 12:17 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
The reason for the warning against bringing a new cat or kitten into the house while you are pregnant is indeed because of toxoplasmosis. While toxo isn't really an issue with indoor cats, often the newly brought home cat might have spent some time outdoors before coming home with you. Does that make sense?

For example, we have 3 cats. 2 are older, and we've had for years. Our newest found me at a gas station last September as a horribly underweight, flea-covered 4-5 week old. When I first got pregnant, I stopped changing litter and got a little more intense about cat hygiene. Our doc was not at all worried about our older two cats, but she was concerned that the kitten might have toxo from her time before us. I ended up opting to get tested for it at my first blood test (it was negative).

As it turns out, when a cat gets toxo, they will only infect others for about a month. After that, they are immune to getting it again. Since I tested negative, and none of the kitties have been outside since Yoshi came home in September, I'm not worried about it anymore. If you are still nervous (or bring home a formerly outdoor cat), be extra careful during their first month home. Scoop cat litter every day (since it takes a day for the bad stuff in their poop to become able to infect you). Wash your hands afterward, and don't eat it. Even better, use it as an excuse to get your guy to do it for you. The risk is truly very small if you follow those guidelines.

Also, you live in the US, right? Toxo is much more common in Europe than it is here. Hence why I've had 4 cats and fostered many others, but still don't toxo.

Lastly, I'm just going to chime in from the opposite direction. I personally have not found cats to be difficult keepers at all. This far along in our pregnancies, I would probably advise against a new puppy, but kittens (or an older cat) are much more independent. You have to set boundaries and be consistent, but they are very adaptable. You just have to figure out whether you really want a cat, or you are dying to have a baby to nurture. Try fostering a cat or kitten for a local rescue group or shelter if you've never had one before. Then you get the experience of having a cat, without the commitment (and if you fall in love, you can always adopt said foster!). I wouldn't worry about the danger of a cat suffocating a baby, though no pet needs to be left unsupervised with a baby. Pillows and crib bumpers are much more likely to cause problems than a cat.
Cats kill babies? Bunk, experts say - Houston Chronicle
Busting a myth: Do cats kill babies? - Federal Way Mirror

</endbook>

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm not even a big cat person. Dogs are more my speed. DH is the one who has said he'd love to run a cat sanctuary someday.
Thanks! That helped tons! The kitten im bringing home is from a breeder and currently he'd still 4 weeks old, born indoors. Hes a semi persian and for free, if we end up not taking him he will end up in a sanctuary. I'm def not going to adopt a kitten to fufill my motherly needs! We've just moved into a new apartment and my mother did not want me to take one of the dogs with me. A house without a pet just isnt a home
June 26th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzippedx View Post
A house without a pet just isnt a home
Awwww, you're the right kind of person to adopt a pet
Caerus and xzippedx like this.
June 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
bugz
Lurking from October DDC.

During my last pregnancy we adopted TWO kittens, and we already had one that we got the month I got pregnant. The first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage so I didn't have a new baby right away with them. We also got a puppy the month I got pregnant with this baby. I don't regret either decision at all.

We did have a 24 year old cat that was abused and I wouldn't trust around anyone, let alone a baby. But even she just sat on her tree and didn't bother anyone who didn't bother her. Starting with a fresh slate (kitten) is great.

Personally I don't think cats are a lot of work if you raise them right. Our "older" cat (14 months) came from a pet store (aka kitten mill). And our 2 kittens (12 months) came from a breeder who just wanted kittens. So none of them came from great breeders. They are all great cats and everyone is pretty amazed at how good they are. They never scratch, hiss or bite, don't mind having nails clipped or being bathed, let us carry them however we want, don't mind kids or other pets. It's all in how you raise them IMO. That show "My Cat From Hell", the problem is pretty much the same every single time. The cat(s) usually don't have things to scratch, trees to climb or toys to play with.

Literally the my only concerns are keeping the cats out of the crib and their fur being everywhere. We are putting an extra tall pet gate across the bedroom door so they can look in but can't get in and go into the crib. They are use to sleeping in the bedroom so we're slowly getting them use to not being there. And we will be taking them to a groomer once a month to have a good brushing (only $40 for all 3 which is great).

Things like the baby getting in the litter box or in the food can be managed. We keep our litter boxes behind a baby gate in the laundry room so the cats can jump over the gate but the dogs (and baby) can't access it. We put their food on a buffet were the dogs and baby couldn't come close to reaching. The dog food is more of an issue, since that can't be raised up.

Congrats on your kitty!
Caerus and xzippedx like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search