im too pregnant for this!

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By lemieuxcrew
  • 2 Post By MrsAmanda
  • 1 Post By Urchin
  • 1 Post By FlyingFlower
  • 1 Post By GreyEyedGirl
  • 2 Post By bandriessen
  • 1 Post By Caerus
  • 1 Post By Kayakgirl
  • 1 Post By _Jewlz_

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2014, 10:27 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
guys, i'm exhausted. it's getting incredibly hard for me to chase harvey around. he's such a crazy ball of energy, and he doesn't like to take naps already at only seventeen months old.

im not that big, honestly, but i am soooo tired and uncomfortable. i've been having contractions at night, so i haven't been sleeping well, and i'm having a hard time keeping up with my little man.

i mean, he's a really smart kid. one thing he always helps me with is letting me know when he need a diaper. he'll go grab one for me and sit down on his quilt.

but his being smart isn't always great when mommy is tired!! he's just playing, but AHH!! he's a terror. i can't really expect him to understand me telling him no, and distractions don't really work with him. he sees right through me. and he seriously does things to create a diversion-- so mommy is distracted putting out one fire while he's over creating another one.

this is some of what i'm dealing with:

he's constantly taking things out of cabinets, even though they're locked, and escaping down the basement stairs or into the garage... which are both *also* locked. he's a tiny, pants-less houdini!

he's also been moving chairs around the kitchen so he can climb them to get up onto the tables and counter tops to steal stuff. he likes to sit on those high surfaces and eat candles, or explode pens, or empty daddy's wallet, or set off the panic alarm on my car using my fab, or dump out boxes of cheerios, etc.

the other day, while i was on a quick trip to the bathroom, he made it onto the kitchen table and opened a box of entenmann's donuts. when i caught him, he was covered in chocolate and had taken tiny bites out of each one.

or, he uses the kitchen chairs to climb into his high chair!! and i know when he's in his chair, because i'll hear the click of him buckling himself in. safety first, guys. and then he starts making his MMMM!!! noises, to let me know he wants food. ...he **always** wants food.

he also knows how to open the pantry door, so sometimes he'll come over to me holding a can of soda or a box of cookies. he then whacks me with whatever he's stolen, as if to say HERE! OPEN THIS FOR ME! yeah, no.

he loves to play with batteries, which he takes out of all the remotes and controllers in the room.

alternately, he uses the remotes and controllers to put random things on tv-- which isn't easy, tbh. we don't have cable, so he either starts netflix or a dvd using an xbox controller. i don't understand how he knows how to navigate the xbox home screen, and it's probably just button mashing, but he does it all the time!

and, we have two xbox controllers, so i'll take one away, and he's already mashing buttons on the other one. ....ugh. and you KNOW that he always ends up putting on something that's highly inappropriate.

he also likes stealing my cell phone and making random calls to people on my speed dial. usually he calls his dad or his grandmother (my mom), but sometimes it's someone completely out there. so awkward. he's also edited and deleted numbers from my contacts, added gibberish to my speed dial, texted people, and set random alarms to go off. (and if i catch him with my phone, he laughs, and RUNS!)

he's also apparently been posting and/or liking things on my husband's facebook after stealing his ipad. he's **extremely** ipad savy, despite my trying to limit his exposure to it. so if we cave and let him play a game like endless alphabet or something, he knows how to turn it off and open every other app.

and, he can open the gate that separates the kitchen from the hallway, so he's been running down that way, lately, and either up the stairs into various bedrooms (i find him by listening for a door closing behind him), or into one of the bathrooms to play with a toilet. he had learned to use the toilet brush to clean it, but yesterday he just dunked his arms in and threw handfuls of toilet water at the wall. it's like painting!! ...so, so gross!

and now... he literally just walked over to me holding a slice of bread. i have no idea how he was able to get to it, let alone undo the twisty tie to open the bag.

it's driving me nuts that i can't be more on top of him-- i'm too pregnant for this!!!!
June 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Awwwww. Houdini.

Do you think he is old enough for time outs? I started mine at 18 months and now the threat of it does wonders. But they require upfront energy to enforce, for sure.
topato likes this.

June 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
i don't know, honestly! i'm not sure how much he really understands. when i say no to something, he just smiles and repeats it. he wags his finger and starts chanting no, no, no!! this week he's started repeating "stop it!!" as well. (it makes me feel like such a mean mom that he's hearing those phrases enough to repeat them!)

and if i get more stern and use a strict tone, he gets SUPER upset, and cries! but it's hard to tell if he understands why mommy is angry, you know?

i feel bad trying to discipline him on most of this stuff, anyway, because i feel like it's not him being "bad," it's just a product of him being bored and trying to play.
June 25th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran
Oh goodness! Sounds like he is extremely smart and active! Would trying to distract him with something fun and different work? There are a lot of ideas on pinterest for little kids sensory play, it would be stuff that would make him feel like he is being messy and such, but if you put it in a plastic tote or something you could keep it pretty containted. There are different types of sands, colored rice, colored noodles, foams, ect. A lot of my friends do them with their little guys. I use them at school for my little ones too.

Also with the Ipad there is a way to lock him into an app. I know you go through the settings to do it but I would have to look for sure. Pretty much you put him in an app, click the home button so many times and set a code. To get out of the app you have to click the home button the number of times again and enter the same code.

Good luck with your bundle of energy, to bad you can steal some of it for yourself!
Caerus and topato like this.

June 25th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAmanda View Post
Also with the Ipad there is a way to lock him into an app. I know you go through the settings to do it but I would have to look for sure. Pretty much you put him in an app, click the home button so many times and set a code. To get out of the app you have to click the home button the number of times again and enter the same code.
ah!!! i didn't know that! i wonder if that would help, or if it would just frustrate him...
June 25th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Bless your heart! I can completely relate. My DD is one active, mischievous bugger, and when she was your DS's age, she was the same way. She couldn't be expected to stay on one activity for more than 2 minutes. lol Even now, she is just starting to behave, listen and stick to an appropriate activity long enough for me to be sane.

I really wish I had some suggestions. It's hard enough managing a toddler when you're NOT pregnant. *big hugs to you*
topato likes this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

June 25th, 2014, 01:39 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ohhhhh my goodness, he sounds like a handful. I can't remember DD very clearly at that age but I know she was not like that at all. He sounds incredibly smart but that must be so exhausting. Wow. So I've got no advice. But it sounds like he'll be seriously awesome as an older kid someday when he can do stuff on his own!
topato likes this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
June 25th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Veteran
Oh man, I hear ya. He sounds crazy smart, and also crazy motivated! (Which will be great when he turns 18yo, but is pretty freaking exhausting right now...) My 21mo gets bored and wants mama to come play and I'm so tired sometimes he just has to find something to occupy himself. I feel bad Are you near friends/family who can take him and run him around the block/park/mall for a couple hours a day? Or playdates, or classes (music, gymnastics, art, swimming) that can get him to put his energy more positive?

I read somewhere that "no" is a super abstract concept for toddlers, which is partly why they can't really handle it. And that they don't have the ability to redirect themselves - i.e. if we tell DS NOT to do something, then clearly that's all DS can think of. (Don't think of a white elephant!)
topato likes this.
June 25th, 2014, 05:08 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I was a Nanny I was careful in how I worded things- children- especially toddlers have no attention span. When you speak to them, count on them only hearing the last 2 or 3 words you say...so if he's jumping on the couch and you say:

"No, don't jump on the couch. " All he hears is "jump on the couch" which keeps that thought and activity in his mind. What I would say instead is what you WANT him to do.

"The couch is for sitting."
"When you're on the couch, you need to sit down."

So the last thing he hears is what you want to stick in his brain. It worked for me.fairly well, but it was hard at times to not just be frustrated! Also, time outs are absolutely a good idea, I would give those a try you just have to be consistent and explain to him why it's happening. He likely understands more than you think!

Good luck!!
Kayakgirl and topato like this.

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014
June 25th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
As a FTM, I have no advice, just sympathy. Can you get a regular babysitter to start watching him for a few hours once or twice a week, just so you can relax for a while?
topato likes this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
June 25th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow, it sounds like you have your hands full. My daughter has always been rather quiet and responds well to a harsh tone if I tell her to stop, so I haven't had to deal with many crazy toddler antics. He sounds like a really busy kid - do you have an outdoor play area?
topato likes this.

June 25th, 2014, 07:51 PM
we dont have family nearby... and dont really know anyone around here. our backyard isnt fenced in, so he'd just run away, unless i hook him to the dogs' tether and, i dont think i would ever feel right leaving him with a sitter.

very abrupt post, im sorry, just lots and lots of contractions
June 25th, 2014, 11:06 PM
_Jewlz_'s Avatar Veteran
Oh, good luck! They're just all hands-on & exhausting at this age! I think 1 1/2 is old enough for short time outs, redirecting & maybe a short consistent reprimand. For instance w/ DD when she was that little we started teaching her the "no, thank you" concept & the sign for it. She'd throw her food on the floor or something & we'd tell her "no, thank you" in kindof a dramatized discouraging way & follow it up with having her help pick it up or a short time out if it was really called for. That seemed to get the point across. Yes,they are just being babies and playing but it's not too early to start teaching them boundaries & consistently reinforcing them.
topato likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search