Epidural vs. Natural Birth

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Urchin
  • 1 Post By Thankfulhelpmeet
  • 5 Post By Caerus
  • 3 Post By lemieuxcrew
  • 1 Post By angelinal09
  • 1 Post By angelinal09
  • 1 Post By m.a.m.a.to.3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Regular
I just started taking labor and childbirth classes and have been thinking a lot about pain med options during labor but am still undecided about what I want to do. Do you plan to get an epidural? Do you plan to go natural all the way? Any other pain med options that you may use or have used in the past?

Maybe I'm a little late to the game to be thinking about this just now at 30 weeks, lol.
July 9th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
It's never too late to start thinking about this stuff!

With my DD, my goal was to go natural. I ended up with an epidural at 10cm. At the moment, nothing else could convince me NOT to get it. I was just in so much pain (and not realizing how dilated I was). It did make pushing way harder, and I hated that.

This time I am going for a natural birth again...we'll see if I get to do it this time!
Caerus likes this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

July 9th, 2014, 06:09 PM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard really positive things from both ways. I had an epidural and had always intended to have one. It was perfect. My labor wasn't going very quickly but as soon as I got it, it's like my body totally relaxed and did its thing and the labor was really quick. Also without the pain, for me, I could be really focused and in the moment. So I definitely wasn't one of those people who have their labors slow down. Also, I don't know how to describe it, but I couldn't feel but had no problem pushing.

I have a friend who is an OB and she had an epidural with her first. She said she hated it because she felt literally nothing. She was able to get a lighter epidural with her second and she could feel and had minimal pain.

My biggest concern for this one, epidural-wise, is that I'll plan for one again and not be able to have it for some reason.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 9th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Super Mommy
trying natural! hope it all goes as planned. were planning a home water birth so that relaxes me a lot!
flitabout likes this.
July 9th, 2014, 06:21 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
I had an epidural with my first. I was exhausted and couldn't deal with the pain, but once I got it I was able to relax and they told me when to push with the contractions. With my second I intended to have it but things progressed really fast near the end and I ran out of time. With my third, I barely made it to the hospital in time, so I knew I wasn't getting an epidural. I don't really worry about that aspect of it anymore, I just want to get to the hospital in time this time.

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
July 9th, 2014, 06:43 PM
saraann's Avatar Veteran
I wanted to just go with the flow and ended up having a very fast progressing labor. My water broke at home at 215am got to the hospital at 3 am was 4 cm got pain meds ( definitely not getting those again made me feel sick), then got check at 4 am was a 7 cm asked for the epidural didn't get it until 455 and was feeling like I needed to push so got it layed back and started pushing baby was here at 5 55 am. I will say before I got the epidural the pain was not fun but tolerable. .After the epidural I felt much better and could focus on pushing (I had a mirror so I could see that my pushes were actually doing something) I could feel on my right side because for some reason only my left side ended up numb. So all in all this time as long as I make it in time to the hospital I will get an epidural but no pain meds!! ;-)
I think once you are in true labor you will know what your body and mind can handle, everyone is different!
July 9th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first I hoped for natural but was so tired and got the epidural right around transition. I was able to feel a little and could finally control my legs by the time pushing came around. No problems with pushing. With my second, I barely got to the hospital in time and had no choice but to go natural. That was a great experience-the most intense thing Ive ever experienced! This time, I dont know what I want... lol I just want to get there in time and see how things play out.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
July 9th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
I apparently announced to my parents when I was like 6 that I /definitely/ wanted to get an epidural. They asked if I was planning to get pregnant anytime soon, and I apparently said I was not, but wanted them to know my wishes. LOL.

That hasn't changed. I'd prefer to get a walking epidural somewhat later in early labor (like 5+ cm dilated), but I'm flexible. My only thing is that they give me a very small dose to start, and then ramp it up as needed. I'm way sensitive to hardcore pain meds, and it'd just straight knock me out. I remember taking the full dose of Vicodin for someone my size (after a super nasty car accident), and I spent the night high as a kite, having random panic attacks while I laid on the floor watching The Fifth Element (which made waaaaay more sense that night than it ever has before or since). Yeah.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
July 9th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Veteran
I had an epidural with my first and it really slowed down my labor and made pushing difficult because I couldn't feel anything. I was taken in for a C-section because my pushing was ineffective but luckily on the c-section table, I was able to push him out. With my 2nd, I went natural and it hurt like hell for many hours. I'm not sure what was better. With my first being in labor for 22 hours, I couldn't have standed to be in that much pain for that long. For this baby, I am considering going natural again but I can remember that intense pain like it was yesterday so I have not fully convinced myself to do it again. What I would say is that if you are going to get an epirdural, have them wean you off of it or lighten it towards the end so you can feel enough to push and don't have to end up with a c-section.
July 9th, 2014, 11:08 PM
SouthernMamaBri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via MSN to SouthernMamaBri Send a message via Skype™ to SouthernMamaBri
I always thought about the epidural but heard so much negativity behind it. I've gone natural every time and like that I'm able to feel everything and know when it's time to push.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my AMAZING siggie!
July 10th, 2014, 03:47 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
From personal experience i would never try to have a natural birth, to me its just too much so i will get the epi and i make sure i let them know that i want it before i settle in. With the contraction pains you will not even feel the needle (because it is scarily big and long) i made it to pushing with bo problems, but my legs remained numb for an hour or so after i had the baby so i had to be carried from one place to the next, my back did hurt my for quite some time after where they put the needle
July 10th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Veteran
If my babies are in the proper position by the time I'm a 4 I'm in transition. This, of course, is not something u would know w ur first though ;-) I have tried to do all natural w all of mine and have only had two epidurals. One was ed my c section so, obviously no choice. W my third the nurse came in when I was at a four and said ur at a four it's going to go on like this for at least four more hours. I looked at dh and said I can't do this for four more hours! Little did I know it was transition lol. Usually when it gets to where u absolutely can't stand it ur almost there :-D
July 10th, 2014, 05:29 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
I heart drugs.

And, with DS, nothing could have STOPPED me from pushing. My body told me when. And no drugs would tell it, or me, no.

I am still undecided about a c section or vaginal, but if I do vaginal I will definitely say YES to the meds available to me.

July 10th, 2014, 05:49 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had an epidural with every single one and have always known when it was time to push, lol. I plan on having one this time around too; I've never had a problem with them and they make things much easier and much more comfortable for me. I'm with Terra; I heart meds, exp. during labor!
lemieuxcrew likes this.
July 10th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Super Mommy
I have had an epi with all my deliveries. For two of them I had the pump turned off with pushing so that I would feel more and be more efficient with pushing - for both of these pregnancies my pushing stage was over 2 hours and I had total feeling of the "crown of fire" by the end.

With this one being a c-section I will betting getting a spinal block I think.

ETA: if you are a first time mom, check your hospital policy. Some hospitals want you to take an information class on epidural anesthesia during pregnancy so you can sign all the waiver forms. If you do not take the class, an epidural is not an option during labor. The hospital where I delivered my first two had this policy .. granted this is a looong time ago but just in case ask your OB.

Last edited by m.a.m.a.to.3; July 10th, 2014 at 08:30 AM.
July 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.a.m.a.to.3 View Post

ETA: if you are a first time mom, check your hospital policy. Some hospitals want you to take an information class on epidural anesthesia during pregnancy so you can sign all the waiver forms. If you do not take the class, an epidural is not an option during labor. The hospital where I delivered my first two had this policy .. granted this is a looong time ago but just in case ask your OB.

I would be SO incredibly pissed if I found that out during labor! Wow!
Caerus likes this.
July 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinal09 View Post
I would be SO incredibly pissed if I found that out during labor! Wow!
I know! My OB mentioned it to me several times to make sure that we attended the class. The issue was primarily for first time moms who were certain that they wanted to go all natural for delivery and opted not to take the class because they knew they did not want an epidural. Problem is that sometimes things change especially when you are in prolonged pain.
angelinal09 likes this.
July 11th, 2014, 05:53 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epidural with #1, #2, and #4. With #3 my labor went so fast...only an hour and a half..that I didn't have a choice to get one. I think since it was such a fast labor it was really intense...normally I don't curse and I cussed everyone out in that delivery room and begggggged for an epidural. With #4 I was going to to go natural again but couldn't so it to DH. I gor an epidural around 6cm and I was laughing and joking with DH and the ob while I was pushing baby out. Hubby of course loved it lol. I will say that I had IV meds with #2 (my daughter) and I ended up having to have a vacuum birth. And it does NOT help with labor pains. My epidural with that delivery only worked on the left side of my body thus why I reuqested Stadol in my IV. ITS NOT WORTH IT. Seriously JMHO. My first I had a forceps delivery. But I think that was more bc he was my first and I had trouble pushing. I had to problem pushing and feeling enough to push out #4 with the epidural. With the natural birth I thought I was dying. I was like a wild animal lol. Wanted to claw my way outta the bed! Not sure what I am going to do this tkme. leaning towards an epidural.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 13th, 2014, 01:11 AM
Veteran
I had a natural birth for my son. I am still debating what I will do with this one. It was somewhat fast, but very intense. The recovery wasn't too bad (could walk and stuff after and was able to push easily). But, it was VERY intense. So, who knows.....for some reason it seems scary to get an epidural, but in the moment it may seem more appealing. Last time it was very fast for me (he arrived within an hour of getting to the hospital). My dr says this time it may be even faster. So, even though the pain is not fun at all, I may try to suck it up and just get it over with (although still not ruling out the medication either...especially if it takes longer or other circumstances).
July 14th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am all for epidurals for me. I have no desire to attempt a natural birth and so I get the epidural just as soon as my contractions get painful (with DS1 I was induced and already in the hospital, with DS2 my water broke and at first the contractions weren't painful so I was at the hospital when they got painful). For me the epidurals did not stall my labor at all nor did they keep me from pushing effectively. Typically I am up and about quickly after birth, it wears off fast and I have no trouble getting around after.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search