I need to make up my mind about Tubal Ligation...

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
So, my husband and I are sure that after this baby, we will be done having kids. We've talked about it a lot and I'm sure we're both on the same page (and I'm really not willing to go through another pregnancy).
At the beginning of this pregnancy I decided that I will get my tubes tied during my C-section. I volunteered to save DH the discomfort because I'll be having a surgery anyways. A few weeks ago I talked to my doctor about our plans and he mentioned that some women have the side effects of heavier bleeding and worse cramps after tubal ligation.
I've always had bad periods, since I started at age 10. Horrible cramps that have sent me to the ER, endometriosis, horrific PMS, just the works.. so I've been on birth control more than half of my life to control those issues. Just the thought that it could get worse after a tubal frightens me. I mentioned that to my doc and he said he could prescribe me birth control pills after the surgery if bleeding and cramps are a problem. Now, what's the point of the surgery if I may need BC pills anyhow? I want to permanently get away from hormonal birth control!
I know I'm probably worrying about nothing, and it probably won't hurt anything to get the surgery, but is anyone else thinking about this too? Do you know anyone who's had a tubal and have had their periods get worse?

July 13th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran
I'm over from DDC October, anyways I'm not saying this is ever woman, but my sister had so many problem related to this that she regrets getting it done; heavier, worst periods, to the point she needs to be on birth control. Ovarian cysts problems that wasn't a problem before, however I will ovarian cysts could not be related. Doctor are not sure; some women it's fine for other it's not. It a rish you take is all.
July 13th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran
I know exactly how you feel, i have endometriosis as well. Started my period at 10 and have severe cramps and cysts.If i were you i wouldnt risk it getting any worse, its bad enough as is.
July 14th, 2014, 12:08 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I was worried about that so much that we put off doing it. Hubby wS to get a vasectomy instead and Timing fell through and here I am pregnant.

I've talked to the dr about the same thing. My periods have doubled since my son and instead of 1 heavy day on a 3 day cycle ....I now have 5/6 heavy days on a 6/7 day cycle. Which I think plays a lot into my anemic. So of course EVEN heavier...is the last thing I want too.
But there is a procedure she informed me about called ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION. It will reduce and sometimes stop periods all together. Read about that. I will probably get that afterwards if things get heavier. It can be done in office too.

}
July 14th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for your feedback. And thanks DisneyDiva for the reminder about ablation! My doctor had mentioned that and gave me a pamphlet about it - I'll have to dig it out and do some reading up on it.

July 14th, 2014, 05:59 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
I am in the exact same position as you. Im going to look into ablation too.

July 14th, 2014, 08:46 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now you ladies have raised some questions for me. I had a girlfriend end up with a hysterectomy after hers but I just figured she had issues with the endometriosis.

July 14th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to make a final decision about it, too. Until recently I had never heard of the possible negative side effects. Now I'm just not sure. I really, really want to never go on birth control pills or anything hormonal again due to side effect issues with them. I also detest condoms. I won't use a couple things due to them preventing implantation. I really feel like my options are limited, and getting the tubal ligation seemed like the perfect choice, now I'm just not sure either.

I plan to talk with my ob at my appointment on Friday about it.
July 14th, 2014, 09:00 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom ended up having a hysterectomy after getting her tubes tied due to cysts and heavy periods (really really heavy). I know it's just one story, but I think it would be worth looking into something else.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 14th, 2014, 09:04 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't have a problem with my husband experiencing a day of discomfort to take care of it. That said, the biggest reason I don't think I could go through with it during a RCS is because I'd have too strong of a fear something would be wrong with the baby. I'm 100% done after this one.... assuming she lives, is healthy, etc. It feels horrid to talk this way, but that's my reality. It scares me to think of having such permanent measures taken in surgery before my baby has even been really "checked out".

All those potential side effects would probably keep me from every doing it. It must be a very hard choice.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
July 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I debated on getting my tubes tied after my last one and decided against it (I'm now glad I did). Then I thought a bit more about getting it done this time and ended up deciding against it again. I am looking into the low-dose pill. It's my understanding that the side effects are much less (both in terms of severity and likelihood) and, while there's still around an 8% failure rate, I'm okay with that.
July 14th, 2014, 09:47 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea there were these kinds of side effects... hmm, definitely something to think about. Thank you guys for discussing this, I was not well informed!

July 14th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
One experience from the other side of things: My mom loves that she got her tubes tied during her c-section with my baby brother. It was convenient, her recovery time wasn't really affected, and she didn't have any bad side effects. She didn't have endo or cysts though.

My best buddy with severe endo and PCOS is probably going to get a hysterectomy to resolve her horrible issues with endo (which breaks my heart for her). Have you considered getting one instead of a tubal? It is a much bigger surgery, but it might be a better option?

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
July 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have ovarian cysts a lot is a tubal not recommended if you have a history of large amountsnof cysts? I am terrified it will make things worsr BUT I myself am on Medicaid right now and they only cover a tubal..none of the ESSURE procedures or anything along those lines. We would get the big V for hubby hut he has no health ins right now so we would have to pay out of pocket..money we don't have. But we need som...eth....ing permanent. The tubal is covered 100% if I have it down within 24 hours after the baby's birth.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 14th, 2014, 11:55 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I did some research and found this site. Symptoms of Post Tubal Ligation Snydrome (PTLS)

July 14th, 2014, 12:18 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh geesh maybe I should opt for a hysterectomy!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 14th, 2014, 12:25 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakgirl View Post
Thank you ladies for your feedback. And thanks DisneyDiva for the reminder about ablation! My doctor had mentioned that and gave me a pamphlet about it - I'll have to dig it out and do some reading up on it.
Welcome ! It's supposed to be a great thing and better than hysterectomy bc you don't have to deal with hormones like a hysterectomy. No down time like a hyst. Has either.

}

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search