Let's Talk Hair!

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
I'd always heard that being pregnant gave you gorgeous, fast-growing hair. Not mine! I've had to tweak my hair shampooing/conditioning routine enormously to keep it from looking seriously greasy. How is everyone else's hair looking lately?
That said, I do have some hair that started growing crazy fast and thicker than usual... the fine hairs on my stomach! It actually embarrasses me a little at ultrasounds. Anyone else?

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
July 15th, 2014, 04:36 AM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I never really notice mine getting any thicker or shinier (which is what I hear is supposed to happen) BUT I do lose quite a bit of hair for a few weeks post-partum
July 15th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Kayakgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
The hair on my head hasn't changed much, but like you Caerus, I'm getting hair on my belly, which is just weird. And like Angelina, I remember shedding lots and lots of hair post-partum - I might look for some vitamins to help with it this time around, although luckily I have thick hair to begin with...

July 15th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
In early pregnancy, my body hair was a nightmare -- it seems to have slowed to a more normal rate.

That being said, I have lots of hairs on my belly that I *just* noticed this weekend. They're blonde, but I still shaved them. haha.

The hair on my head- well, it is probably a little thicker and growing insanely fast. I love this part of pregnancy, because my hair doesn't fall out at all. I'm so used to having my hair all over my clothes and furniture.

About 3 months after I give birth, it's a nightmare. I lose SO much hair. It never looks like it thins, but it's just everywhere, on everything!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

July 15th, 2014, 06:13 AM
saraann's Avatar Veteran
Yea my hair is only thicker right now simple because it doesn't shed as much. I told DH yesterday how I can tell because it is taking me longer to dry it. However I know what happens well at least it did last postpartum, it fell out in clumps from 3 months- 6 months postpartum, it was terrible. Then it starts to grow back and I had some crazy short sections, so had to fix my hair different and wear headbands with my ponytail or I looked like a crazy lady lol. I also have fine blonde hair on my tummy but it doesn't bother me much.
July 15th, 2014, 06:25 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
having to dye my roots every couple of weeks i've noticed it has been growing more than usual, but it's still the same as it was pre pregnancy, belly , arm pits and leg hair seems to be growing more than usual too
July 15th, 2014, 09:32 AM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine is definitely thicker and also stays straighter and cleaner for longer. I can go a good 3 days without it seeming the least bit greasy. I rarely do, but it's nice if I'm not doing much on the weekends.

DH pointed out the hair around my belly button the other day. Thanks, dude. I need to shave more, in general, but I'm just so lazy with it.

I love pregnancy hair though. I was sad to see it return to normal postpartum.

Anyone else at the point where you're carefully planning your next hair appointments? I have to decide if I want to try and get two more in...closer together than normal. Or go longer between appointments so that I can have my last one as close to my due dates as possible. #girlproblems.
angelinal09 and FlyingFlower like this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
July 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They hair on my head is about the same but on my back??? yeah I am starting to look like a monkey. Tons of downy hairs everywhere!

July 15th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I normally have oily hair, and with PCOS my hair falls out more than I like. But while pg, my hair is much less oily and getting thicker. I'm hoping to avoid a huge shedding by staying on metformin after I deliver, but we'll see.
July 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Super Mommy
I wouldn't notice the quick growth as much except that I do color the grey and I seem to have roots a lot faster! Katie, I'm also trying to plot my hair color appts knowing I won't be getting to a salon right after baby is born. I am 30 was tomorrow and can probably get away with 2 more before looking totally old LOL. So I will probably do one two more, one in early Aug and one close to my due date on the 24th.

Forgot about the post pardon shedding!! Gotta love hormones....
kto1111 likes this.
July 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hair does grow faster while pregnant, and with the previous 2, it was nicer-silky and smooth, shiny! This time, I havent noticed much of that. Just that my scalp dries out super easily and its grown faster.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
July 15th, 2014, 11:17 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've got pcos, too and my hair is also typically really really oily. Well the other day I got some highlights and lowlights and they told me to try to go 3 days without washing it. I thought the woman was crazy but I gave it a shot. And it didn't get oily at all. I used baby powder like a dry shampoo on the last day and my hair seriously didn't look any different from day one.

I don't think my hair is thicker but it's definitely not shedding which is nice. I think it might be growing faster, too. I got a super short cut in November and it's already medium length hair now. I liked my hair short but I'm also glad it's growing out quickly.

Also postpartum, ew. Yes, the hair shedding was awful. Like the normal amount that I would have shed over the 9 months came out all at once over the course of a month or two.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 15th, 2014, 11:23 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kto1111 View Post

Anyone else at the point where you're carefully planning your next hair appointments? I have to decide if I want to try and get two more in...closer together than normal. Or go longer between appointments so that I can have my last one as close to my due dates as possible. #girlproblems.
I hadn't thought yet about it til I just got mine done a few days ago. Then when it came time to think about the next appointment I realized the timing might end up being weird. We'll see what happens.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 15th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran
I noticed about a month ago that my hair was less oily and I seem to be shedding less hair. But I don't think it's any thicker. Hair is usually everywhere normally; I can't imagine if I end up shedding a huge amount postpartum.. Eep!
July 15th, 2014, 01:49 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kto1111 View Post

lol, I was just thinking about this yesterday; not so much the appointment but when i should re-do my highlights and color. I want it to be close enough to my EDD so that I don't have to worry about it for a while afterwards but I also want it to be grown out enough so that it's at the stage that I love (which is juuuust barely grown out, if that makes sense).
kto1111 likes this.
July 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
I actually got my hair cut a few months ago, and they cut it a bit shorter than I wanted. I figured it was no big deal, that it'd grow out in plenty of time for my sister's wedding. Well, the wedding was this past Saturday and it was definitely not as long as I wanted it. It's weird, because my hair normally grows ridiculously fast!
FlyingFlower likes this.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
July 15th, 2014, 10:25 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very greasy here ugh I wash it daily and by the end of every day it seriously looks like I haven't washed it in a month. I recently cut my hair to shoulder length because I was tired of tangles and dealing with it on bedrest...I cut off around 8"!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 16th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran
My hair is super soft, but gets greasy fast. And im shedding everywhere its annoying.
July 16th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Super Mommy
I have very fine and thin hair and it grows so SLOW! It does get a little thicker during pregnancy but then I loose tons of it postpartum and it takes a long time to grow back in so I have baby fine hair sticking out all over for a long time.
July 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i can go almost a week between washes now without it looking greasy in the least, but don't wash my hair very often to begin with-- maybe 2x a week?

this pregnancy, my hair is definitely growing faster, though. my postpartum hair loss wasn't that insane, but i could see all the little wispies growing in by the fall. by december i looked like a crazy person when i pulled my hair back, so i had bangs cut in to cover all that.

it worked like a charm. but, those bangs are no longer bangs-- they have grown about eight inches in the last seven months. average is 1/2 an inch per month, so that's a lot!

i usually just trim my dead ends off at home since i don't typically trust salons (and i've yet to find a decent one out here, anyway).

at that last real cut in december, the hair dresser chopped off more than i wanted, and my length fell right below my bra-strap. since, i've trimmed a little here and there, but my hair is the longest it's ever been. i'd say it's waist length now, or a little below.

...i just wish i remembered where my waist used to be, so i could be sure!!
angelinal09 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search