Circumcision

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2014, 11:51 AM
FlyingFlower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really know much about this other than that we want to have it done. For just routine, non-religious circumcisions, is it done in the hospital when they're first born or do you go back later? Also who does it? I'm sure when we have it done they'll tell us about caring for it but anything you'd want to add that would be important to know?

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 16th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It depends on the hospital and Dr. It is done by the pediatrician I believe. Some do it in the hospital before you leave, some prefer to do it at the 2 wk appointment. I would rather do it while still in the hospital. Get all the traumatic stuff done at once!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
July 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it will be done before you leave the hospital (probably the day after your LO is born.) your ob will do it, most likely.

i really didn't have a hard time keeping it clean or anything-- it was no big deal, and didn't seem to bother him at all. you just keep him coated in a&d (or something similar) afterwards, so the wound doesn't stick to the diapers. ...your ped. will tell you when you can stop doing that.

something super weird-- right after my ob did harvey's circ, he goes to us, "he's going to be really happy with that procedure." which i thought was really a bizarre, self-congratulatory thing to say. until my ped. also said, "wow, they did a great job on his circ, he's going to be happy."

same wording and everything! wwwwhat. haha!
July 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
kto1111's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by topato View Post
something super weird-- right after my ob did harvey's circ, he goes to us, "he's going to be really happy with that procedure." which i thought was really a bizarre, self-congratulatory thing to say. until my ped. also said, "wow, they did a great job on his circ, he's going to be happy."
LOL. OMG!! That's good. You can ask him when he's a teen if he is indeed happy with it.

I know it's a controversial topic but I have another funny -- one of my best friends always says "if I have a son, the first gift I'll have ever given my future daughter in law is my son's circumcision." ha!

It's not something I've had to think about but I know from friends that most of our local hospitals do not do it right away. People have it done at their ped appointments 1-2 weeks after birth. I'm not sure why that practice has shifted... I'd want to do is ASAP.
topato and FlyingFlower like this.

DD - Nov '11

DD#2 - EDD 9/29
July 16th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Caerus's Avatar Happy as a (Tired) Clam
The way my practice typically handles it is that it is done in the hospital, before you check out, and the OB does it. They like to give the baby a pacifier covered with sugar water (or something along those lines, I know it is sweet and isn't medicine) to distract them, and then it is done very quickly.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie.

Mama to DD (Born 9/21/2014)& 2 Angels in Heaven
July 16th, 2014, 12:17 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The ob does it within 2 weeks in their office here.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

July 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
angelinal09's Avatar Super Mommy
I think it varies by hospital, ped, etc. In Vegas, ds1 didn't have it done until he was nearly 3 months old and it was done at his ped's office. My sister's baby just had his done last week (again, 3 months old) at his ped's office. Both ds1 and my nephew were born at the same hospital.

Now my other ds's (one of which was also born in Vegas) had theirs done while still at the hospital. Very easy to care for; I have no special instructions other than the ones you'll get at the hospital.

I'd talk to your ped and your hospital and find out for sure. Imo, it's much better to get it done at the hospital.
Caerus likes this.
July 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Here it was done while were still in the hospital. Our family doctor does it and my son slept through it. No special instructions really either, and it healed very quickly. Planning to do the same this time.

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
July 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM
katie2510's Avatar Veteran
yes our pediatrician did it right in the hospital a day or so after delivery. I knew I wanted it done but I still felt so bad for them

July 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
3 boys born in 3 different states. All were done in the hospital, 2 by my OB and 1 by the pediatrician.

Get gauze pads and Vaseline to wrap the tip in for about a week so it doesn't stick to the diaper and he'll be good to go!
2themoonx2 likes this.

July 16th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Veteran
I would watch out dont let them use a plastibel, (not sure if i spelled it right)But after the thing fell off reese he had 2 pee holes, they were very shady about what might have happened. So i think they made a mistake.
July 16th, 2014, 03:32 PM
bugz
Lurking from October.

In the city I live in it's done between 1-4 weeks of age. We have to take him to a different doctor (a circumcision clinic) to have it done because they don't preform them at most places anymore.

For the procedure we have two pain relief options to choose from, a penile nerve block or numbing cream that goes on the penis, or both. I personally will not take Emmett somewhere that doesn't use pain meds, especially the penile nerve block. We've chosen to have the penile nerve block done. The numbing cream has to be applied 45-60 minutes before the procedure and if he pees it comes off. It also makes the genitalia swell which could affect the outcome of the procedure. The nerve block makes the whole area numb during and for a while after the procedure. During the procedure Emmett will be wearing a t-shirt, sweater, hat, mitts and socks. I will be able to sit him on my lap and the procedure takes 3-4 minutes. It costs $195 here.

All I have to say about circumcision is choose the office/doctor carefully. There is no way I'm sending my son to someone who will strip him naked, strap him to a cold table in a cold room, not allow me in the room and cut off a piece of his penis with no or improper pain relief. The whole "infants don't feel pain" is a load of BS and while they may not remember the procedure their bodies do. There are studies that show that boys that are circumcised without pain relief or proper pain relief have a low pain tolerance later.

For the aftercare the doctor doing it told me not to put anything on the penis. But we can use polysporin kids if we want to. We just put gauze on it to keep the diaper from sticking to it.

I don't know if you're going to cloth diaper or not, but if you are you'll want to make sure you don't ruin your diapers. The doctor said to use disposables while the penis is healing because they wick moisture away from the body more and faster than cloth. The urine can burn the wound or cause infection. Any creams or ointments aren't safe for cloth diapers so you'll need to use a liner of some sort.
Caerus and FlyingFlower like this.
July 16th, 2014, 03:35 PM
saraann's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyknudtson View Post
I would watch out dont let them use a plastibel, (not sure if i spelled it right)But after the thing fell off reese he had 2 pee holes, they were very shady about what might have happened. So i think they made a mistake.
That's terrible. Our DS had a plastibell and it turned out great. Our family physician did it in the hospital and the ring fell off after 7 days. He is an older doctor and was my husband's doctor growing up and even delivered my sister in law. He has done a lot of the them in his time so I trust him to to a great job again for our new son!
July 16th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraann View Post
That's terrible. Our DS had a plastibell and it turned out great. Our family physician did it in the hospital and the ring fell off after 7 days. He is an older doctor and was my husband's doctor growing up and even delivered my sister in law. He has done a lot of the them in his time so I trust him to to a great job again for our new son!

It was probably the doc then, my last OB stunk.
I have a great one now
saraann likes this.
July 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Super Mommy
I am from Canada, and find it interesting that many of you from the states get circumcisions for your boys. Many many mom forcums in Canada the women seem for the most part very against this procedure. So I (not judging!) but am just interested to see sort of a trend?

We are unsure if we are having a boy or girl. But I am interested to know why others chose to circumcise? I havent done much research yet on this. Would anyone mind sharing their reasons?
July 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulhelpmeet View Post
I am from Canada, and find it interesting that many of you from the states get circumcisions for your boys. Many many mom forcums in Canada the women seem for the most part very against this procedure. So I (not judging!) but am just interested to see sort of a trend?

We are unsure if we are having a boy or girl. But I am interested to know why others chose to circumcise? I havent done much research yet on this. Would anyone mind sharing their reasons?

Its easier to keep clean, also he is less likely to get any infections down there.
There are lots of different opinions.
July 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulhelpmeet View Post

Just preference but most boys here are. For us it's because DH was born in Australia and back then it wasn't routine there. So he was teased a lot here in the US growing up and he finally got it done when he was 34. He doesn't want that for his son. And personally I prefer it that way and so do most women I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinal09 View Post
I think it varies by hospital, ped, etc. In Vegas, ds1 didn't have it done until he was nearly 3 months old and it was done at his ped's office. My sister's baby just had his done last week (again, 3 months old) at his ped's office. Both ds1 and my nephew were born at the same hospital.

Now my other ds's (one of which was also born in Vegas) had theirs done while still at the hospital. Very easy to care for; I have no special instructions other than the ones you'll get at the hospital.

I'd talk to your ped and your hospital and find out for sure. Imo, it's much better to get it done at the hospital.
3 months! Eek, I'm not sure I'd like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinal09 View Post

3 months! Eek, I'm not sure I'd like that.
2themoonx2 likes this.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 17th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Regular
I am not having it done. I told my doctor that and she just said, "That is fine, there is no medical reason to get it done. People think it's better to keep it clean, but look at a vagina - all the nooks and crannies. It is called SOAP.. Clean it good and your fine." lol I thought this was funny. My husband is not circumcised and has never had an issue.
July 17th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I guess I'll ask at my next appointment. The practice is primarily midwives and they do all the routine stuff but I'd imagine they don't do circumcisions. Maybe the doctors from the practice come in and do it or something.

DD- 4 years, May 2010
July 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjUCR44qZLE Here is the 3 most common procedures that they do. I really don't think sitting them in you lap for the procedure would be particularly safe. Either way if found it horrifying to watch the videos and they weren't even my babies. Knowing that I did this to my babies just makes me want to cry.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search