Question for those c-section vets

Forum: September 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Buda
  • 1 Post By disneydiva76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM
bandriessen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you have had a csection before, do you prefer it? I've read some women do and I'm just curious how the whole thing works. Is there alot of pain involved? I'm just wanting to prepare my self in the event one would be necessary. Thanks!

TEAM BLUE!!!

Due September 5, 2014
August 8th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Jenn-F's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've only had c-sections, so I can't compare it to a vaginal delivery, but my c-sections were not bad. There was no pain during the c-section, just pressure and pulling. There was some pain after, but it was controlled with prescription motrin in the hospital and by the time I went home I didn't need anything for pain. My recovery was pretty quick, too.
August 8th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have only had c-sections and never been in labor so cannot compare it to a vaginal birth.

I have been told that if you labor first the c/s is harder to recover from, but again since I've never been in that situation I can only take what others tell me.

For me recovery has always been very easy and pain very manageable. The first day or so I take the pain meds on time and then just when I need them. 2 out of 3 of the ones I've had by the time I left the hospital regular Tylenol would work just fine, if I needed anything at all.

Really every person is so different and how they react to surgery can vary so widely. I had another surgery after I had 2 c-sections and everyone told me since I breezed through the c-sections that this one would be super easy. Not the case for me, I ended up being kept an extra night in the hospital because they couldn't control my pain level.

August 8th, 2014, 09:55 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also have only had c-sections. If I had been given the opportunity, I would have DEFINITELY chosen to try for a vaginal delivery. Don't get me wrong... I have had pretty good experiences with my c-sections but it wasn't a piece of cake or anything. Each time, I have relied on narcotic pain meds for about a week before I could just take tylenol. I am kind of a sissy when it comes to pain

If you end up having to have one, I wouldn't be too scared. It really isn't *that* bad. But, at least for me, it did take a while (a couple weeks) to get back to feeling completely like myself.

August 8th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Super Mommy
I have had 4 vaginal deliveries and 1 c-section. With 2 of my vaginal deliveries I had 4th degree tears and that healing was no fun

I had a pretty easy recovery from my c-section but mine section was done extremely premature. My advice is take you pain meds and get up as soon as humanly possible. The faster you get up to walk ... and yes it will likely be painful that first time.... do it anyway. They longer you stay laying down the bigger the risk of other issues.

Last edited by m.a.m.a.to.3; August 8th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
August 8th, 2014, 11:22 PM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
I've only had CSections.... Recovery isn't hard for me but I think it depends on the pain tolerance.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com
August 9th, 2014, 05:27 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
I liked my c section better than my vaginal. BUT this time I may try VBAC bc I have a 2 year old to attend to and I am concerned about her climbing on my incision. If not for that - I probably wouldnt even consider a VBAC!

August 9th, 2014, 06:52 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first 3 were a breeze to recover from. Number 4... It took me 2 months to stand up straight without holding on to something. I wasn't in pain. My muscles were trashed. I am also still struggling with pain from scar tissue. It's been 4 years. If there was anyway I could avoid having to go through it again I would do it.

August 9th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran
I have had two c sections now and eight vbacs sorry, but anyone who prefers a c section is nutty!
August 10th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Buda's Avatar Veteran
I'm sorry, but I really don't think it's cool to judge a woman on her birth preference. I recently made a post on my Facebook "Feeling excited, three more Dr appts til my csection!" And apparently a friend wasn't so happy for me. She judged me harshly and said I shouldn't "brag" about having a csection. Know what's cool about being a woman in 2014? Being able to choose what we do with our bodies. Weather it's a choice or medical necessity (which it is in my case) it's not for anyone to judge.

My csection with my first wasn't by choice. I wanted to have an all natural vaginal birth. I never went into labor, went three weeks over, and ended up having a baby way too large to birth. I was induced and labor never progressed. He got so stuck that he went into distress and I had an emergency cesarean. Come to find out I have a narrow pelvis, which is why he never "engaged" in the first place. My Dr told me that's still the case this time, and my baby is measuring pretty large, so to avoid putting this baby in fetal distress like the first, we decided to have a csection. Recovery wasn't terrible the first time, but I was in labor for several hours prior so maybe it will be even easier this time around. I'm hoping that's the case! I'm very excited to be able to take part in a gentle cesarean and in won't a allow anyone's opinions take that away from me

August 10th, 2014, 06:13 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buda View Post
I'm sorry, but I really don't think it's cool to judge a woman on her birth preference. I recently made a post on my Facebook "Feeling excited, three more Dr appts til my csection!" And apparently a friend wasn't so happy for me. She judged me harshly and said I shouldn't "brag" about having a csection. Know what's cool about being a woman in 2014? Being able to choose what we do with our bodies. Weather it's a choice or medical necessity (which it is in my case) it's not for anyone to judge.

My csection with my first wasn't by choice. I wanted to have an all natural vaginal birth. I never went into labor, went three weeks over, and ended up having a baby way too large to birth. I was induced and labor never progressed. He got so stuck that he went into distress and I had an emergency cesarean. Come to find out I have a narrow pelvis, which is why he never "engaged" in the first place. My Dr told me that's still the case this time, and my baby is measuring pretty large, so to avoid putting this baby in fetal distress like the first, we decided to have a csection. Recovery wasn't terrible the first time, but I was in labor for several hours prior so maybe it will be even easier this time around. I'm hoping that's the case! I'm very excited to be able to take part in a gentle cesarean and in won't a allow anyone's opinions take that away from me

I AGREE!! I haven't had a c-section before, but will this time.
BUT....I've had horrific vaginal deliveries. It left me missing the birth and not looking forward to experiencing it again. I would rather be hit by a truck and dragged down the road...than experience the vaginal births I've had again.
And I get a ton of negative feedback for saying that.
I think every birth should be tailored to the individual mom. You're no more or less of a mom for your choice. It's your experience. Why not enjoy it instead!?

Glad you posted this!
KeliRevels likes this.

}
August 10th, 2014, 06:35 AM
lemieuxcrew's Avatar September DDC Rocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsknif View Post
I have had two c sections now and eight vbacs sorry, but anyone who prefers a c section is nutty!
There are lots of nutty woman on this board then! Including me. I had a horrible L&D delivery and a great csection delivery. No judging, k?

Plus Im sorry but let me ask you this. If you had a 1% chance of winning the mega millions would you play? Those are GREAT odds for the lottery. So why is it nutty for a family to say I am not going to take a 1% of a wife/mom and child dying? I know a woman who died from a VBAC. The baby lived. The father lost his wife and never accepted the baby due to his grief.

To each their own. Risk is risk. It's a personal choice.

August 10th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxcrew View Post
There are lots of nutty woman on this board then! Including me. I had a horrible L&D delivery and a great csection delivery. No judging, k?

Plus Im sorry but let me ask you this. If you had a 1% chance of winning the mega millions would you play? Those are GREAT odds for the lottery. So why is it nutty for a family to say I am not going to take a 1% of a wife/mom and child dying? I know a woman who died from a VBAC. The baby lived. The father lost his wife and never accepted the baby due to his grief.

To each their own. Risk is risk. It's a personal choice.
Completely agree. While I would love to have a VBAC the risks for me and baby are just too high.
August 10th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran
Unfortunately my C-section experience was not as great as some of these other ladies. Here is my backstory:

In 2010 my water broke prematurely at 35 weeks at around 1:30 a.m. with my DS. Although my than OB (different than current OB) never provided a reason for my preemie miracle, I suspect it was because my ex-brother-in-law failed to pick me up from my endocrinology appointment as planned and I inevitably walked six blocks home that day. By block four I was sure baby was going to fall out. Twelve hours later my water broke.

When I arrived at the hospital I was dilated at a 1. It took nineteen hours to progress to a 10 with an epidural. Then I labored about four and half hours with hard contractions and pushing. At twenty-seven hours of labor my OB came in and just said, “Well, what would you like to do now?” My response was simply, “You’re my Doctor, is everything okay?” He replied, at present, baby doesn’t appear to be under stress and is tolerating labor. However, my concern is that this could quickly turn. You have now been in labor for twenty-seven hours and must be fatigued. You’ve had some good pushes, but for some reason baby does not want to move beyond crowning – would you like to proceed with a C-section?” After hearing this my family and nurses encouraged me to go ahead and have the C-section, because I was so tired and with my diabetes I had gone nearly twenty-seven hours without food, only a sugar drip.

In retrospect, I wonder why other measures were not attempted – no episiotomy, no forceps, no anything.

Immediately after my C-section my life-long expectations and fantasy of meeting my first born baby went up in smoke. As soon as DS was born he was briefly flashed to me from beyond the other side of the curtain. Then, he was whisked away to be bathed, have blood drawn for sugar levels, and other tests as a preemie. Husband did not get to cut umbilical cord, but I am told assisted with the first bath. I had NOTHING. No touching, no skin to skin contact, no first family embrace with my husband and DS.

I woke up two hours later in surgical recovery. My doctor was filling out paperwork in the corner. I asked where my baby was and the RN immediately brought me some water than asked the doctor if baby could come in. He agreed. I was SO weak from the drugs that I attempted to hold my DS but could not. I nearly dropped him on my bed, and had to ask the nurse to take him back. I fell right back asleep.

I woke up again four hours later. By this point, my mother, father, ex-brother-in-law, and sister had already met my little man in the NICU. When I finally had a nurse help get me into the nursery by wheelchair, I had discovered that my sister and husband had already held DS, as well as administered a bottle feeding and changed first diapers. I felt such jealous. Over the next nine hours the nurses in postpartum did not wake me up. They felt it better that I rest.

Baby continued bottle feedings. When I finally felt re-energized baby was out of NICU – he had only been in there for thirteen hours. I found out he was off of any IVs and monitoring for preemie sleep apnea. There was no longer a cover on his bed, and he had been transferred to the normal nursery. I would have liked to have been updated on these events as they happened. Nevertheless, I finally got to room with my baby, but now I was already back on regular diabetes meds – which I shouldn’t have been to nurse, and baby never got breast.

After the C-section I was very, very sore. I was up and walking (barely) the day after in the hospital because my nurses told me I had to in order to go home. I was released from the hospital after two days (this time around I am told 4-5 days recovery will be standard in hospital before release) and had to walk around with a pillow in front of my abdomen for about a week. I was sent home with Tylenol 3 and Norco, which I needed for about a week until I felt ok.

My son is now four and to this day the area where my C-section scar is still feels sensitive at times. I am having a repeat C-section in 6.5 weeks, but this is only because this time around I have diabetes, hyperemesis, and Placentia Previa. Considering all things, my doctor would rather be safe then sorry, but has reaffirmed a few times that she will endeavor to make sure I have a more positive experience, am not as heavily drugged, have a clear birth/feeding plan, and am able to have some skin to skin contact while in recovery – pending DD is ok.

C-sections can be a blessing - but are not always "easier". Make sure any concerns, birth plans, etc. are clearly communicated to your OB/Midwife/Doula ahead of time so you don't experience what I did.

Good luck!

Last edited by sek3982; August 10th, 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search