Zofran and Cardiac Problems?

Forum: Due Date Club of October 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Valerie123
  • 1 Post By THE angry uterus

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of October 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Hiya - pregnant with my second. I went in for my annual pap in September and discussed that we were TTC. I got SUPER sick with my previous pregnancy and was on zofran pretty much the whole time. She said when I got pregnant to call in and they'd give me some zofran. Well I'm seven weeks and hugging the toilet bowl. I called and the nurse called me back and said that they don't prescribe it any more due to the risk of heart complications in the momma and baby. WHAT?! They said it is a pretty recent study that has come out. So they gave me a prescription for an alternative that is unisom mixed with b vitamins. Only draw back is that my insurance won't cover it and it will be 400$!!!

Part of me is really bummed and freaking out because zofran worked so well for me with my baby girl. Of coarse I wouldn't want to have any undue risk for me or my baby but I can't help but feel that way.

Anyone else been turned away? What is your alternative? Last pregnancy I was throwing up through 26 weeks.
February 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't buy it. I know too many people who have taken it and not had one problem. I took it for the entirety of all 3 of my pregnancies which produced 3 very healthy kids.

February 19th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Super Mommy
Well that freaks me out. I'm taking it. Completely miserable without it. My RE says its safe. First ob appt is tomorrow. I'll ask.
February 19th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. They just prescribed it for me yesterday at the perinatologist. I also have a heart issue, but I have taken it before many times and haven't had any problems! Kind of scary.

February 19th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Veteran
You can make your own mix of b6 and unisome using otc stuff, someone posted a link about it... I'll see if I can track it down.

The cardiac thing is real, the FDA even has a statement about it:
FDA Drug Safety Communication: Abnormal heart rhythms may be associated with use of Zofran (ondansetron)

But the truth is all drugs have side effects, be informed, make your own decisions.

Team pink! Due on or around 10-01-14.
February 19th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Veteran
Link for Unisom thing:
My Recommendations for Eliminating Nausea and Vomiting (Morning Sickness) in Pregnancy | Dr. Walt's Health Blog

Also: I don't mean to frar monger: read the FDA report only certain people are at risk of cardiac issues. It is up to you and your doc what you take.
Danielle80 likes this.

Team pink! Due on or around 10-01-14.
February 19th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok. That makes sense if you already have issues with a certain rhythm and problem (long qt) then it can throw your heart into an abnormal rhythm. As far as I could read, if you don't have these issues it's not a problem for you, right? Am I understanding it correctly?

February 19th, 2014, 06:18 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took it with my last pregnancy and never had any issues me or my baby although I didn't read the studies. I am feeling kinda lazy this morning.

February 19th, 2014, 06:32 AM
You just have to understand that ALL drugs have side effects, and people have died taking just about any drug you can find. You have to decide if the risk outweighs the benefits. Personally, without Zofran I'm dehydrated and malnourished. So for me, the Zofran is definitely worth the possible (very miniscule) risk.

February 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Super Mommy
I had my first ob appt this am.. I asked the nurse. She said they prescribe zofran all the time, but told me about the b6 and unisom. she gave me new vitamins with b6. I'm gonna try it. She said it would take about a week to help.
February 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM
KellyBean's Avatar Regular
i was just prescribed it and have known arrhythmias. i dont know, but im willing to try it as my OB says its safe. im miserable. ugh
February 19th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Benadryl sometimes helps with nausea and is safe in PG.

You can also ask about compazine, phenagran, and reglan. Reglan can have some BAD irreversible side effects, but I LOVE it. Compazine and phenagran make you sleepy though. Compazine is also a great sleep aid.
tiffany&co. likes this.
February 19th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE angry uterus View Post
Benadryl sometimes helps with nausea and is safe in PG.

You can also ask about compazine, phenagran, and reglan. Reglan can have some BAD irreversible side effects, but I LOVE it. Compazine and phenagran make you sleepy though. Compazine is also a great sleep aid.
I have tried all of those except Reglan, and none of them work nearly as well as zofran for me. What kind of bad irreversible side effects does Reglan have?

February 19th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reglan you can develop Tardive dyskinesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, so they don't like to prescribe it often. It worked great for me though. Zofran - it just constipated me, lol.
February 19th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies. It is hard to feel excited about my little bean when I'm just trying to focus on not throwing up all day long! I'm going to talk with my dr. some more when I go in next week.

I just gotta remember that I can make it through this stage!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search