Co-sleeping or own room?

Forum: Due Date Club of October 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By lfavorite83
  • 1 Post By 3maybe
  • 3 Post By fludderbye

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of October 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2014, 08:00 AM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So will your LO be co sleeping or in their own room? If co-sleeping how long do you plan on it?

I have co slept with my last 3. I found it lets us both sleep a lot more, as I don't have to fully wake up to nurse. I am still co-sleeping with #4. For a while, I co slept with #3 and #4, then I transitioned #2 to her own bed when she was around 2yrs. She now shares a room with her 7yr old sister, because neither like to sleep alone. I will probably use one of the co sleepers that attach to the bed with this LO arrives, or I may put a toddler bed in my room and start gradually getting Juliet used to that. She is still night nursing though so I don't want to completely move her until she is fully weaned.

March 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Super Mommy
As a first-timer here, I can't say for sure. I don't like the idea of co-sleeping, personally, but I think we, at the least, will set baby up in our room for the first few months so that we can tend to them quickly, then move him/her out when they're a little older and sleeping through the night. This might be subject to change if it doesn't work out, though, since it might not go perfectly according to plan. you never know.

March 8th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran
We will have a setup in our bedroom to room in for a while, but I'm not a fan of bed sharing. Tried it, and it was miserable for me and baby woke up constantly. I'm going to keep the baby in our room until they can pull up, and then they'll move to a crib in their own room just because I'd be afraid of them toppling out of their sleeper.

March 8th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran
I don't co-sleep, but baby will be in our room. I set the pack-n-play up right next to my bed, and will have baby in there for the first few months. Then I will move baby into another bedroom.

DD 11
DD 5
DS 2
Boy #2 due 10/27/14

March 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are co-sleepers here- it was not in our parenting plans when we first started out but my first baby simply would not sleep at all for his first year unless he was touching one of us or in his swing so we became co-sleepers by sheer necessity. My boys are 10 and 6 now and at least once or twice a week one or both of them end up in our bed (thank goodness for kingsize!!). We have one of those mini co-sleeper things that goes on the bed so that baby has his/her own space and can't be rolled on and it has a nifty little light on it for nighttime feedings. We will also have a crib in our room for at lest the first year and we will certainly try baby in the crib- who knows maybe this one will be different and want to sleep in the crib.
March 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
co-sleeping, or in a pac n play next to my side of the bed.

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??
We are TEAM BLUE
March 8th, 2014, 11:22 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first I kinda played it by ear. Nicky always started out in his bassinet and then inevitably ended up in bed with me. So for me it has always be cosleeping which has always been what felt right and natural to me. I have C-sections So I figure either way I was in incredible amounts of pain. It's gonna hurt to get up and feed the baby and it's gonna hurt to roll over to switch sides. For me the question is what hurts less. So I picked rolling over and by the time I realized it I was a full fledged cosleeper. I still have my arms reach cosleeper and I will use it again with this baby and I will still have my itty bitty in bed with me because that's what works for me.

March 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I tend to co-sleep. We start them out in the crib when they first go down at night, but then whey they wake and need to eat, into bed with us they go. I can't function if I don't get my sleep so I can't sit up and nurse the baby back to sleep. I get them latched, and off to sleep we go! The crib is in our room anyhow.

March 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM
butterflies.in.a.jar's Avatar <3 Team Pink!!! <3
Send a message via MSN to butterflies.in.a.jar
Cosleeping. We will be sidecarring the crib to my side of the bed. I didn't plan to cosleep with my son, but it happened anyway, because he would not sleep any other way, and I am still having trouble getting him to sleep in his own bed now. I am hoping to avoid that fight this time around.
Team PINK!!!
March 8th, 2014, 01:07 PM
lfavorite83's Avatar Veteran
We'll set up a pack n play in the room with us for the first 6 months until the risk for SIDS decreases, and then off to their own room they go. As someone with close ties to families who have had infants die from SIDS, I absolutely refuse to cosleep.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

TEAM PINK!!
March 8th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
My first we bought a crib and she never slept in it...my twins came when she was 2 and I had a co sleeper that one twin would sleep in while the other was beside me and my 2 year old on the other side....our littlest again we bought a crib...well he never slept in it...he still cosleeps with us and is 4...but his toddler bed is in our room now though and before this baby gets here he will be in there! I hope!!!! This baby will be cosleeping..I wont even bother with a crib. I need my sleep and this is the way we all get sleep...My stepdaughter was 2 when I met dh..and she slept in a toddler bed. As a baby she had always slept in a crib...they bottlefed her though...All my children have nursed.
March 8th, 2014, 03:29 PM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i bed share till they sleep through the night or only wake up once. easier to nurse them right back to sleep then to get up and go get them for me
March 8th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Veteran
I find that we all sleep better when baby is in their own space. I have baby in my room in a pack & play for the first few months & transition them to the crib in their room. I will do the same this time.
MrsPalumbo likes this.
March 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM
oneandonecoming's Avatar October 2014 DDC Co-Host
We will co-sleep (baby in our room) but we do not bed share. Our house is only a two bedroom. If we had a three bedroom (or more) then baby would likely go straight to their own bedroom but my daughter is an amazing sleeper so I'm not going to put a newborn in with her and wake her constantly.

November 11th 2013 - 7w -
March 9th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We bed share. I have with all my babies and #3 is still in bed with us because of bfing. It's what works for us.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
March 9th, 2014, 07:30 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are a room-sharing and co-sleeping family. DD1 is still in our room and I actually moved her floor bed next to our bed since hubs is gone. When we move, we will try to see what she does with her own room. I used the PnP with the infant bassinet for DD, but I probably won't use it again. I'm leaning towards the Rock n Play and to co-sleep more, especially with a C.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

March 10th, 2014, 09:34 AM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely co-sleeping here. Still co-sleeping with my 15 month old. Best thing ever to get enough sleep from day one! Barely even have to wake to nurse - love it! Hoping #1 night weans before #2 arrives..... ;-)

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
March 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
wow i feel like the proverbial black sheep here

but

we do not co sleep- personally i never understood why some one would want there baby/toddler/2-4 yr old sleeping with them ???- seriously no offense-

we put the baby in the bassinet near where we are sleeping or will be- ie bed room- living room or the hall way then when they are 2-3 mo old and sleeping through the night they get there own bed/crib

we have a small house so i wake up if a mouse farts LOL

i find that they learn to self sooth from an early age and only really cry if poppy or actually hungry

that and mommy still has a spot where there are no kids if i need to hide LOL

March 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My babies have all slept in their cribs from day one home from the hospital. They are in the next room over and I hear them when they wake up and are ready to eat. I use a monitor the first few months too. I have found we all sleep better this way, and they are comfortable I their cribs and there is no transition to their own room. This works well or us.

March 10th, 2014, 11:15 AM
bugz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The baby will be in our room but definitely not in our bed. Our mattress is soft and squishy and feels like a cloud. There is no way I'd switch to a firm mattress, because I'd never sleep. I like to have pillows everywhere and big fluffy blankets. And my dogs sleep on the bed, and my cats. We've got a pack n' play type thing that has a changing table, infant bassinet, full sized sleeper and vibrates and plays music and all that. We're going to keep that near the bed and somehow figure out how to keep the cats out of it. That will take months of training and the still won't listen when I'm not there.When the baby is sleeping the night or most of it, they will be in their own room. My SO would be okay with co-sleeping until the baby is older, he slept with his parents until he was like 10 for some reason. The only way I'll keep the baby in our room longer is if the new house's layout is like the one we have right now. Right now our master and other bedrooms are on opposite sides of the house and that wouldn't work well.

October 20, 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search