Does this happen to anyone else?

Forum: Due Date Club of October 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By lfavorite83
  • 1 Post By Mslily1125
  • 1 Post By Sylvera
  • 1 Post By Bigsurprise75
  • 1 Post By Mom97
  • 1 Post By pr1madona
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of October 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Super Mommy
This used to happen to me once in a blue moon outside of pregnancy, but now it's a sure thing and it's kind of annoying. I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

We are running a bit low on staple groceries, so this morning I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast since there was nothing else to be had. EVERY time that I have what I'll call an 'unbalanced' breakfast I end up getting really, really jittery by lunchtime. Today was no different. I suddenly get really shaky, my heartrate goes up a bit, and sometimes I also end up sweaty for no reason. Usually it will go away on its own in 10 minutes or so, but if I end up eating something while it is happening I can usually stop it in its tracks. I ended up eating a bit of a snack mix while I reheated some leftovers and it made it stop, but it's really unpleasant while it's happening Needless to say, most mornings I just have eggs and toast because it never happens if I eat something like that (I guess it must be sugar related) but I didn't have that choice today.

My first thought was that it might be gestational diabetes or something like that, but I know that my blood sugar is fine (I was just tested a week ago and it was normal) so I don't know what to think. It only happens in the morning if I eat sugary food in lieu of a good breakfast. I'm lucky that it's totally preventable in most cases - I guess baby just wants to make sure I eat a balanced breakfast - but I can't help but wonder what might cause it. Does anyone else ever get this?

May 22nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
lfavorite83's Avatar Veteran
Maybe you're hypoglycemic? I think that's the one that mimics some of the symptoms of diabetes. I could be talking out of my *** though, so feel free to ignore
ChloeAndino likes this.

TEAM PINK!!
May 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My first thought was that it was something blood sugar related. I get the same way, but it's really just anytime I go too long without eating, regardless of what my last meal was. I've always been insulin resistant though, so I try to make sure I eat at least every 3 hrs.
HalfDozen likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 22nd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to get this when I was younger if I didn't eat and I had it a few times at the beginning of this pregnancy if I didn't eat enough and then didn't get lunch right away. I always assumed it was low blood sugar but that is just a guess.

May 22nd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfavorite83 View Post
Maybe you're hypoglycemic? I think that's the one that mimics some of the symptoms of diabetes. I could be talking out of my *** though, so feel free to ignore
I looked it up and it does sound a lot like hypoglycemia symptoms, which would mean Steph is also right on the money with the low blood sugar guess! I don't like the idea of being hypoglycemic, but at least it's not severe and I know how to manage it. I will bring it up to my midwives next time I meet with them and see what they think. Hopefully I don't need to do anything about it - and who knows, maybe they'll tell me it's nothing at all

Thanks for the suggestions ladies
lfavorite83 likes this.

May 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Bigsurprise75's Avatar Veteran
I have it but I always have. It's a blood sugar level thing for me. I am on the low side. I get jittery and shaky if I need to eat. It subsides almost immediately after the first few bites. Sorry not much help. Mentioned it to your OB next time.
HalfDozen likes this.

May 22nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Mom97's Avatar Veteran
Yes, happens to me too! I am often so busy with the kids and running the store, schooling, etc., that I won't eat until I feel very hungry and if I don't eat as soon as I feel hungry I will get that jittery and sweaty feeling!! I am sure it's blood sugar related. Mine is often low.
HalfDozen likes this.

Emily 17, Miriam 13, Annella 11, Eva 9, Audra 7, Eden 6, Roman 3, Vita 17 months and
expecting #9 October 30, 2014!!

May 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get it bad during pregnancy. Almost passed out at work over the weekend. I had to hurry and eat everything I brought for the entire day within 5 min to keep from fainting. Mine tends to be a combo of low blood sugar, low blood pressure, and not being able to eat enough calories to keep up with my nutritional demands. Even though I eat very often. The best thing to do is pair complex carbs with protein and healthy fat. Eat often as well. Cereal is pretty much a guarantee of it happening because that's just carbs, but I have had it happen eating pure protein too:/ It usually does get better as the pregnancy progresses.
HalfDozen likes this.

May 22nd, 2014, 01:35 PM
Mom97's Avatar Veteran
I have lower blood pressure too, never thought about that as another reason for this!

Emily 17, Miriam 13, Annella 11, Eva 9, Audra 7, Eden 6, Roman 3, Vita 17 months and
expecting #9 October 30, 2014!!

Last edited by Mom97; May 22nd, 2014 at 01:38 PM.
May 22nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
It is low blood sugars. I was borderline GD last time, and I would actually dip into the 70's in the morning, and when I would eat I would get the tunnel vision, tingly skin, etc. Maybe first thing in the AM, suck on a piece of hard candy before you eat anything to help your sugars balance out before you eat anything.
Momma to Ian (8), Morgan (7) and Isabella (4) - Expecting baby #4 in Oct. 2014!

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??
We are TEAM BLUE
May 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When you eat, your blood is diverted to the intestines to help with digestion. So if you already have low blood pressure, it can make it dip even more. it is called post-prandial hypotension.

May 22nd, 2014, 06:06 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This happened to me at work this am.. I drank some bolthouse farms strawberry banana juice and about half hour later my lrgs were shaky and my face felt tingly. I made some peanut butter toast with some milk and felt better.. but ughh it sucks in the midst!

May 23rd, 2014, 09:55 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I have always had it happen. When it's at its worst, I black out, but I have never actually fainted ... yet. This has been the case since I was much younger. It happens even more frequently when it's hot out or if I'm in a place where I feel warm. For me, I carry around candy bars in my purse. I know that's not the "best" solution, but I find if I eat one of those quickly until I can get to somewhere that I can have actual food, I feel much better. Since I've dealt with it from the time I was about 10, it's not unusual to me, but it is sometimes worse for me in pregnancy.
~*Bethy*~ likes this.

May 23rd, 2014, 08:21 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Its quite common actually for younger women from what I heard at WIC. Try a couple nuts through out the day usually helps. Sometimes its blood sugar, but other times it can be low blood pressure taking a dive. When we get older it stabilizes better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search