Tossing names back and forth...

Forum: Due Date Club of October 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By bugz
  • 1 Post By AmyLM
  • 1 Post By happy-ness
  • 1 Post By AlyssaMyahJulian
  • 1 Post By butterflies.in.a.jar
  • 1 Post By StephcMc
  • 1 Post By ashleyjo
  • 1 Post By littlecloud
  • 2 Post By Sylvera
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of October 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2014, 06:19 AM
Super Mommy
I think we are finally down to two front runners on our choices of boy names. Mind you, we still have 4.5 months, so something new might pop up or we might change our mind entirely, but for now we are thinking either Brock or Malcolm.

Brock has no history - it's just one of the few names that we've seen on baby lists that we actually like. It's growing on me, but I'm am not super in love with it the way I should be (it's my husband's favourite name, though). Hubby and I are both fans of strong, one-syllable names and that was the only one we could agree on that wasn't too popular, too strange, and stuck with us.

Malcolm is a really important family name, and both my brother and father have it as a middle name. It is my paternal grandfather's last name (and technically should have been mine before I got married) and I would love to pay homage to him by using his name. Even if we don't use Malcolm as a first name, it will be in there somewhere. I also like that it's not common and it does sound nice... my only complaint is that I can't think of a nickname for it.

I think that Brock sounds a little nicer with our last name (Kelly) but I'm not too concerned about that. I'm more interested in making sure our son has a name that he can be proud of, and making sure he won't be one of three in his class (I think I am already safe there). Which do you like better?

June 3rd, 2014, 06:43 AM
bugz
I personally think that Malcolm sounds better with Kelly. The only association I make with that name (Malcolm Kelly) is an actor named Malcolm Kelley (a kid, Walt, from the TV show Lost). I think Malcolm has a good meaning to it for you.

Names don't HAVE to have a nickname. He could just go by Malcolm. We're using Emmett and there isn't really a nickname for that. Em, Emme are too associated with Emily, but I'll be honest I'm probably going to call him Em or Emme. Met reminders me of lice nits for some reason lol and makes me think of the NY Mets.

Brock is a bit more harsh sounding to me and I'm not a huge fan. I think of Brock University, but that's it. I think I have a cousin with that name now that I think about it. To me, Brock is more modern sounding than Malcolm if that matters.

Malcolm Brock Kelly could always be an option. Brock Malcolm Kelly could also, but I prefer the former.
~*Bethy*~ and Sylvera like this.
June 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I like Malcolm more than Brock and I don't think you have to have a nickname, either. My oldest dd is named Allison. An obvious nn would be Alli. But, we call her Allison...or Monkey or monster, which have nothing to do with her name at all.
Sylvera likes this.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
June 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran
I like Malcolm best too, especially with the surname.
Sylvera likes this.

Team Pink!!!
June 3rd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
I like both...maybe use both?
Sylvera likes this.
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14
June 3rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
butterflies.in.a.jar's Avatar <3 Team Pink!!! <3
Send a message via MSN to butterflies.in.a.jar
What about Mac or Mack for a nickname for Malcolm? I like both of them, and I think they both work nicely with your last name, so I think it's just a matter of finding your favorite combination
Sylvera likes this.
Team PINK!!!
June 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Both are good solid names. Malcolm reminds me of one of my favourite shows firefly, it was the main characters name. I like Brock too.
Sylvera likes this.

June 3rd, 2014, 07:25 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im obviously partial to Brock and I really like it with your last name.. nice strong name.. Brock Malcolm even sounds nice to me and the nicknames we've come up with with our brock are a riot.. hes brock-olee, brock o deedle dee, brocko, deedo, brockalou, brocky (he calls himself that ) I will say brock is kind of making a comeback though
Sylvera likes this.

June 4th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Veteran
Partial to Malcolm here! I think it sounds awesome with Kelly also.
Sylvera likes this.
June 4th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Super Mommy
I thought about it a bit and decided that I think I also like Malcolm more. Now for the tricky part - trying to talk my hubby into it! Thank you for your opinions, ladies!
bugz and littlecloud like this.

June 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm a little late to the party, but I LOVE the name Malcolm! I think it's a strong name, has sentimental meaning for you, and is common enough that it will not be mispronounced but not so common that there will be 10, or hopefully even 2, of them in any class.

And I agree with some of the others. There does not have to be any nickname. I'm a firm believer in naming your children what you want them to be called. The only exception for my children is #4, but she was named after my grandma (Catherine), and we call her Katie (which was the same name my grandma went by). That was all done because she was due on my grandma's birthday.
Sylvera likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search