Hyperemisis Moms

Forum: Due Date Club of October 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of October 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Regular
I know I'm not the only one who has/had HG. How are the rest of you holding up? Do you still have symptoms? I've weaned down to 4-8 mg of Zofran daily. If I don't take any, I throw up again. And I am still just at my pre-pregnancy weight at almost 20 weeks (good thing I was 'fluffy' going into this).

Also, if you're still on Zofran, how are you coping with the side effects? Mostly constipation and headaches! I hate taking meds anyway, and am reluctant to take more since I HAVE to take my Zofran and antacid in order to make it through the day.

June 8th, 2014, 07:27 AM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not on Zofran any more, but to cope with the constipation issue a lot of women take Natural Calm. It is a magnesium supplement that is OTC that helps move things along. Also, I have a friend who had severe HG. She was on a Zofran pump and still vomited multiple times a day. She started taking a supplement called Lauricidin, at the advice of other HG moms, and it stopped her vomiting almost completely.

June 8th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Hoping for baby #2
I am through the worst of it I think. I am still taking the Unisom and b6. No weight gain yet. I will see a nutritionist tomorrow and I am going to ask about shakes as an option for me. I am drinking coffee and taking mirolax to help with the constipation. I am also using magnesium butter which helps with muscle fatigue and constipation.

June 9th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran
I am hanging in there. My Hyperemesis is still alive and strong constantly dehydrating me, causing malnutrition, complicating my diabetes, and requiring hospital care. Throughout this journey I have been hospitalized at:

11 weeks (5days)
12 weeks (10 days)
17 weeks (not hospitalized but in ER for 8 hrs. getting fluids and IV meds)
18.5 weeks (not hospitalized but in ER for 8 hrs. getting fluids and IVmeds)
19 week (5 days)

I now know most all of the AM/PM/ and Per Diem nurses on the antepartum/postpartum floor of my hospital. When I am hospitalized I get very lonely and yearn for visitors. My husband tries to come by every other day, but works and has our 4 year old son to look after at home. My mother is disabled, most my friends and family work 9-5, and the nurses leave me alone alot. I don’t have a small laptop, iPad, smartphone, etc. so the days drag on and on. The last time I was hospitalized I was so depressed I did not get out of bed once to walk around the floor, read a magazine, or even turn on the hospital room TV. I literally just sat and stared at the wall crying off and on.

This has been quite taxing and emotionally draining. Since my eleven weeks discharge, I have been on the Zofran pump. It is similar to a diabetes Insulin pump and uses asmall sub-q catheter that I have to take out and change (rotating around my abdomen) daily. The catheters sites are often very itchy (side effects of the Zofran injection) and sometimes flare up and get irritated. My stomach looks like a battle zone of land mines. One site even got so badly infected it had to be lanced open and then treated with antibiotics. I won’t go into details, but the infection was painful and incredibly nasty when it finally drained. These days, the catheter is getting progressively more difficult to inject into my abdomen since there is less belly fat and tissue and much more of a hard baby bump. Therefore, injecting the catheter can be painful and I often have to numb an area first with ice.

As far as constipation from the Zofran, I have really had none. I go about every other day and never feel bloated, crampy etc… so I have been fortunate in that department.

The irony is, this pump only works about half the time. For the most part I still have a lot of nausea and fair amount of vomiting (mostly acid). I have nauseated “trigger periods” like clockwork every day from 7:30 AM-10:30 AM and 6:30PM-9:30 PM. During these times I cannot eat, drink fluids, or move very well. I am usually lying down on the couch or vomiting and pretty much hating life.

In addition to the pump, I am also on Prilosec OTC, B6, Prenatal gummies,and occasionally Ativan. The Ativan (2 milligrams) is used usually about 1-2 aweek in extreme situations. My doctor has told me to use it if I have vomited more than 3x daily and need it to give my poor body a rest, get some fluids down,and possibly some small bites of food and sleep.

I have lost a total of 18 lbs. throughout this pregnancy. I am currently now only 5lbs. heavier than I was right before I got pregnant.

This Hyperemesis has really taken a toll on my emotionally and mentally. I am always anxious and have suffered from depression each time I am hospitalized.Moreover, I live in constant fear that I will have to go back into a hospital. Aside from fear of hospitalizations, I also worry a lot about rupturing, my water breaking, and the premature deterioration of my placenta due to my diabetes.

My OB has told me that I am a “brittle” patient and has advised me not to have any more children. She is recommending a tubectomy following delivery. She has also stated she will be taking the baby at 38 weeks by induction, but is presuming she may very well come sooner on her own because of my health problems and the fact that my son came prematurely at 35 weeks. There has been no talk yet of placing me on steroids sometime soon to help try and prevent premature contractions and labor.

I am trying to remain calm, optimistic, and joyful about being pregnant but it is so hard. I just can’t wait until my darling daughter is here safe and sound and I can put this all behind me and focus on the joy of my family. 15 weeks to go!

Last edited by sek3982; June 9th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
June 9th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Regular
Oh wow Sarah...I don't know if *Hugs* even begins to cover it. I don't know if its because I'm not around much, but I had no idea you were dealing with so much. Is it okay if I offer to pray for you? I don't some people aren't into that.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

June 10th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh you poor things! Such an awful thing to go through at what should be a joyous time. Hope you all start to get better real soon. Sarah especially, prayers for you and your baby!

June 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran
Thank you both! Prayers are so appreciated.
June 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sarah - oh my word. I just want to give you a giant hug!!! Hang in there, all of you!! a friend of mine had this condition, very very bad - and the day she delivered her son she said was the BIGGEST relief she has EVER felt! You all are almost there!!
June 12th, 2014, 04:36 PM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine went away early this time. I was lucky.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search