Anyone here ever have a water birth?

Forum: October 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jozzy
  • 1 Post By Jennifer8080
  • 1 Post By StephcMc
  • 1 Post By StephcMc
  • 1 Post By pr1madona
  • 1 Post By happy-ness

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2014, 05:06 AM
jozzy's Avatar Veteran
I've been thinking about ditching the epidural idea and trying a water birth. Anyone have experience with this? I've done some reading up on it and even watched some videos. I see a midwife instead of an OB and while I'm not completely impressed with the care I've received (not that they haven't been good to me, I just feel at times they lack confidence and experience that an OB would have) I'm thinking the midwives would be ideal to have a water birth with.

The hospital I'm having my baby at, has the birthing tubs and while I'm not sure what the availability at any time of the tub would be or how many they have, I'm definitely keeping it open as an option. Who knows, I might cave and beg for epidural but id definitely like to try the water birth.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the idea of having a midwife, it's just that when I was pregnant with my son I had a much older and experienced OB who knew his job like the back of his hand. I'm actually surprised he is still practicing because he was getting up in age then and that was 13 years ago. The downfall of having the OB is that you can't guarantee they will be around to deliver your baby.

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 1st, 2014, 05:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First, there are many confident and experienced midwives, and I would say your experience is not the norm with midwives. I've had a few very wonderful ones, and I think that my current midwife provides better care than I could get from an OB, so if you're not completely confident with the care it may be good to research other providers.

I had a water birth with my first and it was completely amazing. I labored in the water with my second but labor stalled because of his position and by the time I was ready to get back in the tub I had to push and just didn't want to be moved. I'm aiming for another water birth this time.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
May 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be great to at least labour in the tub even if you don't deliver in it! I have no experience to share though.

That's too bad you don't feel that your midwife is too confident and I'm sure that with being in Canada you don't have much of a choice of who you get because there are so few. I am lucky, I have the head of the clinic that I am at as my primary caregiver and she is wonderful, I will be getting a second primary who has just gotten her license but i'm okay with that since she will be under supervision.

Jozzy, are you getting a 2nd primary? That is what they do in the practice I belong to, in case they are delivering another baby when you go into labour. So you might end up being more comfortable when you start to see your other primary if that is how your practice works.

Anyway, I've heard that in the birthing units of hospitals that since most women go for the epidural that the tubs mostly go unused so you would probably have one available to you and since you would have the midwives there for your delivery I'm sure that they would help make that happen for you.
jozzy likes this.

May 1st, 2014, 08:41 AM
jozzy's Avatar Veteran
I chose to go with a midwife because I heard so many positive things and I liked the idea of having 2. Problem is, I've seen 3 different midwives and now I'm being switched to another one in May that just finished school because they are so booked up. My first appt when the midwife drew blood, she had the tourniquet tied so tightly that my hand was turning purple... I told her I think it's ba bit too tight..she says she's almost done and my vein collapsed. Had a pretty sore arm the rest of the day. I'm a laid back person and not one to give grief so I just laughed it off...everyone's gotta learn, everyone makes mistakes yada yada. Second appt with a completely different midwife, she
can't find my babies hb (14 weeks). I can see she's getting frustrated and wants to give up. She finally finds it super faint, doesn't try to get a good angle and listens for literally 3 seconds and shuts off the doppler. They lost some results to my blood work so I have to go get more blood drawn. Really wish I wasn't having this kind of experience. One big reason I went midwife over OB is I like the idea of 2 being there at the birth.

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 1st, 2014, 08:56 AM
jozzy's Avatar Veteran
Oh, one more thing (I hate to ramble on here) at the practice I go to, they have you test your own urine every visit and get your own weight. That just seems really strange to me!? Not that I can't do those things but it just feels very unprofessional to me. Is this how it is at other places?

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 1st, 2014, 09:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozzy View Post
Oh, one more thing (I hate to ramble on here) at the practice I go to, they have you test your own urine every visit and get your own weight. That just seems really strange to me!? Not that I can't do those things but it just feels very unprofessional to me. Is this how it is at other places?
Mine is the same way with the weight and urine tests... you're not in the GTA in Ontario, are you? Our clinics sound really similar

I'm also a little irked by my midwives. There's a group of 4 of them, I have yet to meet one of them, and 2 of the 3 I've met seem really new. Last time I brought in a list of questions, the one I was visiting with just kept shrugging off my questions and saying either "I'm sorry, I don't know" or "No, there's nothing you can do about that, sorry." Not super professional.

Regarding the water birth thing, if I were going to have a natural birth, I think that would be the route I would want to take. Unfortunately, since it's my first I'm not quite bold enough to go without pain medication, and I obviously don't have first-hand experience to share. I'm also at a somewhat heightened risk for a C-section so I doubt they would go for it.

May 1st, 2014, 09:53 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've always loved the idea of a water birth, but hubby would NEVER go for it. In the end, it never ends up mattering because I'm usually in too much pain with the pitocin to really move much. If you liked your OB, can you switch back? Here in the states, many OB's are supportive of water births, too.

New picture in progress......
May 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM
bugz
You're in Hamilton aren't you? I used a midwife in Hamilton for my last pregnancy. I don't think it's the same clinic though, because I had to go to a lab to have blood drawn (the midwife said they can't do blood draws).

But I did have to test my own urine and weight myself. I find that a bit stupid, TBH. People can lie about their weight if they are unhappy with the gain (or no gain), and I'm sure people do. And I was always confused with testing my own urine if the colour didn't match exactly. They don't even ask to see the little stick, just the colour. So I didn't like that. I liked the idea of having two midwives at birth. But one won't show up until close to the end, since they are really only there for baby. I never met my other midwife and was told I might meet them once before the end of the pregnancy.

I was going to go with a different midwife this time around (until I was diagnosed with CKD), in a different city. But the office was awful, I could tell just over the phone. And if I needed any pain meds I'd be transferred to an OB on call. So it seemed useless. Overall, I'm not impressed with midwives at this point. I'm with an OB now and love it, I'll be transferred to another one later because she is pregnant. I might not deliver with my OB, but that's fine. There are only a few OB's in the city anyway and they all have good reviews.

This will be my first so I'm not experience with water birth, but I'm going to try labouring in the tub as much as I can. The hospital I'll be delivering at, each room has it's own jacuzzi tub. But the other hospital I could deliver at, only has one labour tub, so there would be no for sure that I'd get to use it. I'm making an attempt to go without pain meds.
May 1st, 2014, 12:07 PM
jozzy's Avatar Veteran
Yes I'm in Hamilton. If it weren't the fact I wanted the water labour/delivery id probably switch to an OB. Will see though.

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jozzy, I hope you can get it figured out and your next appointment goes better, if it doesn't then changing to the OB may be the way to go. I think if you decide on the water birth the midwives would be the way to go. I think the test your own pee/check your own weight is standard practice because they don't have the extra office help to do those things, I don't mind and I kind of like it because it gives me something to do when I get there. However, I can see how it would make others uncomfortable.

Sylvera who are you with? I'm with the Uxbridge group, but I know that there is also Oshawa, Markham and York Region in Aurora then the centres in the City.
jozzy likes this.

May 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My experience with midwives is that you do your own weight, and test your own urine. it helps with you feeling more a part of your care, versus being patient. A lot of women use midwives because they don't like the feeling that birth is a sickness, or medical problem. Yes, I went to midwifery school so I may be a little biased, but midwives are perfectly capable of providing care for low risk, normal pregnancies. That being said, I see an OB who has CNM's in her office. I have a high risk pregnancy and do not have typical labors so i feel more comfortable birthing in a hospital. I labor in the water in early labor, but then get to a point I don't want to be in the water anymore.
StephcMc likes this.

May 1st, 2014, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A little off topic but I am sooooo not happy with my care and may switch OB practices to another. Anyone ever done this without being because of a move?They are so booked and when I get in its 4 hour visit just to do the normal 5 minute with the doctor visit. They are way to busy and I am so not liked. The nurses made this clear to me. They made a HUGE mistake with me last time that could have resulted in the death of my baby. (They dropped the ball and I went just over 42 weeks WITH type 1 diabetes on isulin and 40 years old) BIG BIG NO NO!! My paperwork was a bit of a mess. I was told the practice changed my due date in the last few weeks after birth so it would not show I went 42 weeks. This is unheard of.We lack OB's badly here. I have one close but am not sure. That is just one of many reasons. I just don't trust these people. We moved here in my 8th month so I only saw them at the end.My regular OB from where I was from was freaking out when he heard this.
However I do see a highrisk doctor at another practice once a month that I like But they don't deliver.So far I am not diabetic this pregnancy so that helps but still.

Last edited by babymama10; May 1st, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
May 2nd, 2014, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really want a water birth but my hospital does not have tubs and since we live on an island the nearest hospital that does offer tubs is a 2 hour ferry ride + 3 hr drive away so if I want a water birth I will have to have a home birth. I love the idea of a home birth but I still have some fears about it so we shall see how I feel closer to the time. When I was in labour with my 3rd I sat in the shower with the water pointed at my belly for 6+ hours straight and it really helped with pain relief so I imagine being in the tub would be even better.
May 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran
My bf had 3 water births at our local birthing centre (where there are midwives only) and she raves about them being amazing. The birthing centre's amazing, it's really cosy and homely. I'd love to do it but I'm a little bit scared about giving birth without any doctors around, especially as I was borderline blood transfusion last time. So I'm still unsure what I'm going to do, but I guess I still have some time to decide.
StephcMc likes this.

Team Pink!!!
May 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
jozzy's Avatar Veteran
I wish we had birthing centers here. That sounds like such a nice option. Here it's home or hospital.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search