Choosing to not circumcise 2nd boy?

Forum: October 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree33Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Ya I suspect a shift in the next generation because our generation takes a more natural approach to things. I also agree some of it is regional. I live in the Bible Belt, so most people are Christian...now whether parents take that in consideration I can't really say.m
~*Bethy*~ likes this.

May 2nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
oneandonecoming's Avatar October 2014 DDC Co-Host
I'm not in your shoes as I don't have a boy, but if this babe is a boy we will not circumcise. I know DH feels differently, but that's one thing I won't budge on so it will not be happening for us.

November 11th 2013 - 7w -
May 2nd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran
I am not a guy but I would think circ is painful no matter the age. Just watching a circumcision is enough to tell you that. And if a baby "falls alseep" during the proceedure it isn't because he's tired it is because the pain became super severe. That said, there are benefits to doing it to as baby: they will have no memory of it. Standard peoceedure now days is also to do a nerve block- so pain is minimized if stress is not. Not the same can be said of an adult as far as the memory of it goes. But benefits of an adult: they can tell you how much pain they are in and be medicated appropriately.

For me and my husband we've decided against it. But I don't think there is anything inhertently wrong with doing it. It is cultural and not even on the same plane as female circumcision. It can even be reversed later in life if the guy wishes to (you stretch the remaining skin farther down the penis with a gizmo to take over as a brand new foreskin.)

I think, for the most part the health benefits of being one way or the other have been debunked. There are, of course, cases of people who have to be circumcised and cases of botched proceedures that did not end well. But having a circumcision doesn't prevent or reduce risk of std's as once claimed.

So, culture wins out.

I mean, lol- I won't circ a boy but I'd totally pierce a baby girl's ears probably also scary and painful for a newborn.

Edit: I have been corrected! Apparently circ does cut down on the spread of std's. The way it works: less surface area and any shared bodily fluids dry quicker if you are circ'd thus slowing the time things can replicate and invaid. But! I would hope any boy of mine wouldn't be so promiscuous as to have multiple partners (and if they did- at least to use a condom- and I better never find out! Lol)

Team pink! Due on or around 10-01-14.

Last edited by Valerie123; May 2nd, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
May 2nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
deaths final kiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(I'm due a couple months later, but saw this on the main page). I didn't circ my 2 boys, because my ex husband wasn't, and I didn't know anything different. Now... I am grossed out by it honestly, if dh and I have a boy this time, we'll circ. I've also had quite a few friends who didn't, then their sons ended up needing to get it done at about 3 or 4 for various infections, and the healing seemed like it would be more difficult with them running around/grabbing themselves. :shrug:

Angels 3-27-04 9wks, 6-2-14 8w5d
May 2nd, 2014, 08:23 PM
Veteran
I know my sister has watched circumcision. As long as the Dr uses anesthetic the hardest part it the anesthesia needle.

May 4th, 2014, 12:16 PM
butterflies.in.a.jar's Avatar <3 Team Pink!!! <3
Send a message via MSN to butterflies.in.a.jar
I haven't read the replies because it's kind of a hot button issue, but my son is not cut, and even though Chad wants to have our future sons circ'ed I WILL NOT do it. I am an intactivist, and I refuse to have it done. I have dated men who had little feeling left after being circ'ed and beyond the other more important reasons that I don't want to scare pregnant mommas with, I don't want my son going through that when he grows up.
Team PINK!!!
May 6th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I circumcised my first son, almost 7 years ago, and I consider it one of the biggest mistakes of my life. It's his body, and should have been his choice. Before you make a decision to put your child through a life threatening surgery, that NO medical organization in the world recommends, I urge you to do plenty of research. Thewholenetwork.org has amazing resources.
~*Bethy*~ likes this.
May 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Being "grossed out" by a body part that's meant to be there, is a perfect reason to cut it off, and put your child's life at risk. If they decide they are "grossed out" by a functioning, important part of their own body, they can make that decision in the future. Wow, the ignorance is sad.
May 6th, 2014, 12:58 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a regional thing too possibly? We have a really high concentration of jewish people in the northeast so that might be why it's so "normal' here. Both my boys are circ'ed and my second has an adhesion left from it. We are not 100% it was from the circ or a natural adhesion so we are leaving it be now and doc said most boys separate it on their own when they start exploring things down there as toddlers. LOL Um ok?

As for the circ or not circ - DH is dead set on it. I will say that in our area I've only known one guy that wasn't circumcised and it was probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I *know* that my face had to give it away because our relationship was never the same. BUT vaginas come in all sorts of shapes and sizes too so that is not my decision maker at all. I leave it up to DH - so if this little one is a boy he will most likely be circ'ed as well.

May 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
MamaBear86 - thank you for your input. I fully agree!

I guess I'll just say that I am SUPER thankful that hubby is 100% with keeping this baby intact if he is a boy even though he is cut himself.
May 6th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear86 View Post
Being "grossed out" by a body part that's meant to be there, is a perfect reason to cut it off, and put your child's life at risk. If they decide they are "grossed out" by a functioning, important part of their own body, they can make that decision in the future. Wow, the ignorance is sad.
the ignorance is judging another parent for their decision whatever that is. Your decision doesn't make you a superior parent.

I really hate this topic btw. Again it's personal and it never goes well.. All that matters is you are comfortable with it.
StephcMc and pokypuppy like this.

May 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I agree that it is a personal decision, and it should be a PERSONAL decision left for the child to make. Like I said, I have a circumcised boy, and it was my fault for trusting doctors' advice. There is plenty of accurate information out there now, where it shouldn't even be an option. I definitely don't consider myself a superior parent, but to put your child's life at risk, because you are personally grossed out by a body part of THEIR'S is just ridiculous.
May 6th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Veteran
It's your opinion that it shouldn't be an option, not everyone's. You're right, there is plenty of information out there, and there are a lot of differing opinions within the medical community.To say that there is absolutely no reason to circumcise is absurd, considering even the American Academy of Pediatrics has information on their website supporting that the benefits of circumcising outweigh the risks. I think it is up to each of us as parents to interpret the information out there and make the best choice for our child.

I think saying someone is ignorant and ridiculous for choosing to circumcise their child is out of line. No one has said that their only reason for circumcising was being grossed out, the poster that said that also cited the experiences of friends that have had bad outcomes because they didn't circumcise.

My son is circumcised, and if this baby is a boy he will be too. I assure you that this isn't a decision my husband and I made because we were uninformed or we rushed into it. We had/have very valid reasons that are all our own for choosing to circumcise. Just because others may not agree with our choice, doesn't make it wrong.

DD 11
DD 5
DS 2
Boy #2 due 10/27/14

May 7th, 2014, 06:49 AM
This is my last comment on this topic, because people can argue their stance all day every day. In the US alone, over 117 healthy baby boys, die every year, from a cosmetic surgery, which is not routinely recommended, and there are clearly no health benefits here. In regards to the AAP, I thought this was interesting...one of the doctors on the board also recommends that we do a "ritual nick" on infant female genitals. I am a newbie, so I am unable to post the link, but if you do your research you can find out the backgrounds of the doctors on this particular board. And most of these conclusions were drawn by biased doctors, for religious and money purposes. Keep that in mind.
If after you have read the resources on thewholenetwork.org, you still feel as though your decision is the right decision, I sincerely hope that none of your sons die from circumcision complications.

Last edited by MamaBear86; May 7th, 2014 at 07:01 AM.
May 7th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I sincerely hope that none of your sons die from circumcision complications.
WHOA! Inappropriate and unwelcome!

..and I would be the person who reported your post.

Last edited by StephcMc; May 7th, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
May 7th, 2014, 07:41 AM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would circumcise. I know someone who do not circumcise, and that is a fine choice if that is what you prefer, but her son kept getting infection after infection and was circumcised at 5yrs old. I rather just do it while they are little little little lol and hopefully not remember the pain

RIP Julianna Rose-Marie Tyreesa
June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart

My Ovulation Chart
May 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Hi folks,

This, is always, a pretty heated topic with very strong feelings on either side of the discussion.

Please try to keep emotional comments considerate to others and how they feel on the matter.

Try to keep the rest of the thread calm or "I'll be back."

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

May 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I'm definitely not trying to be rude or inappropriate, it's just a very sad reality. There was really no nice way of putting that statistic. If that comment helps people to realize the possible reality, I don't feel as though it's inappropriate.
May 7th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm definitely not trying to be rude or inappropriate, it's just a very sad reality. There was really no nice way of putting that statistic. If that comment helps people to realize the possible reality, I don't feel as though it's inappropriate.
Well you didn't just provide the information of the statistic, you said, "I sincerely hope that none of your sons die from circumcision complications." Which is rude and inappropriate, by being very suggestive.

May 7th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
It was politely requested that you guys "drop it." I am unfortunately going to close the thread now.
~*Bethy*~ and Sylvera like this.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search