For Moms Who've Cloth Diapered Before

Forum: October 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By bugz
  • 1 Post By ~*Bethy*~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Veteran
If you're bored, can you check my Amazon registry Amazon.com: Jackie Pucci and Tom Pucci: Baby Registry
please and let me know if you think what I have is OK? Anything I shouldn't have on there/don't need?
I have a variety of brands because I want to see what I like.
Thanks!

Last edited by littlecloud; June 5th, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
June 5th, 2014, 09:28 AM
bugz
Just wanted to let you know that the link doesn't work, it just goes to the baby registry homepage login/sign up.
June 5th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran
Sorry, I guess it was only my personal link. Here is the one you should be able to see:
Amazon.com: Jackie Pucci and Tom Pucci: Baby Registry
June 5th, 2014, 09:51 AM
bugz
I haven't cloth diapered before but I'm cloth diapering this baby. I'm just sharing what's different about our registries.

-Do you have cloth wipes? I've registered for 3 dozen baby wash clothes and 3 dozen cloth wipes that will all be used for cloth wipes.

-Cloth diaper friendly diaper rash cream? It's good to have on hand before you actually need it.

-Diaper pail and diaper liners? I'm getting two planet wise pail liners so I can put a new one in while the other is in the wash.

-Container or pouch for wet wipes? Planet Wise makes a wipes pouch, it keeps them moist until you use them, then toss them in your wet bag.

Oh, and awesome choice on your wet bag I picked the exact same one. I'm getting two of them, btw. In case one is dirty and I don't have time to wash it before I got out again.

Also, I saw an ear thermometer on your registry. They aren't recommended before 6 months because the babies ear canal is so small you won't get a proper reading. You could also damage the ear canal if you don't use it properly. I'm studying for audiology/speech pathology and there is quite a bit of hate in that community for ear thermometers being used on babies.
abur, littlecloud and Ami89 like this.
June 5th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz View Post
I haven't cloth diapered before but I'm cloth diapering this baby. I'm just sharing what's different about our registries.

-Do you have cloth wipes? I've registered for 3 dozen baby wash clothes and 3 dozen cloth wipes that will all be used for cloth wipes.

-Cloth diaper friendly diaper rash cream? It's good to have on hand before you actually need it.

-Diaper pail and diaper liners? I'm getting two planet wise pail liners so I can put a new one in while the other is in the wash.

-Container or pouch for wet wipes? Planet Wise makes a wipes pouch, it keeps them moist until you use them, then toss them in your wet bag.

Oh, and awesome choice on your wet bag I picked the exact same one. I'm getting two of them, btw. In case one is dirty and I don't have time to wash it before I got out again.

Also, I saw an ear thermometer on your registry. They aren't recommended before 6 months because the babies ear canal is so small you won't get a proper reading. You could also damage the ear canal if you don't use it properly. I'm studying for audiology/speech pathology and there is quite a bit of hate in that community for ear thermometers being used on babies.
Bugz, thank you for all your help!
I decided not to do cloth wipes because my sister laughed and said I should at least have disposable wipes to make my life simpler. OK.
The cloth-diaper friendly rash cream (California Baby), and diaper pail/liners (Diaper Genie) I have on my Babies R Us registry.
I didn't think about adding a wipes case but I will. Thanks!
OH...and the ear thermometer has rectal, underarm and oral pieces that you can put on it!

Last edited by littlecloud; June 5th, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
June 5th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Exactly what Bugz said - plus you can make a lot of that yourself I think the list is good!!
littlecloud likes this.
June 5th, 2014, 11:19 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everything seems ok but I would nix the pins and after reading the revues maybe look into GMD prefolds. All of the complaints on them seem to be the same that they are too narrow to use a snappi and too long for the cover. The sizing on them is also really awful. You really will need more than 2 sizes.
The best advice I have is visit all of the diapering sites and see what other mommas are using, what works and what doesn't. Thirsties covers are my favorites, but especially for the newborn faze you may need the extra smalls the duos do go down pretty little but they may not quite go down small enough. If the fit isn't right they will leak. But poopy blow outs with cloth either way are very very rare!

June 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Everything seems ok but I would nix the pins and after reading the revues maybe look into GMD prefolds. All of the complaints on them seem to be the same that they are too narrow to use a snappi and too long for the cover. The sizing on them is also really awful. You really will need more than 2 sizes.
The best advice I have is visit all of the diapering sites and see what other mommas are using, what works and what doesn't. Thirsties covers are my favorites, but especially for the newborn faze you may need the extra smalls the duos do go down pretty little but they may not quite go down small enough. If the fit isn't right they will leak. But poopy blow outs with cloth either way are very very rare!
Which ones do you think shouldn't be on the registry -- just osocozy? By GMD do you mean I should get Green Mountain Diapers? I do read the sites all the time but they are ALL over the place and it gets overwhelming. What one person likes another person hates. It seems to be such an individual preference. I try to go by the reviews as a whole. I did want to try GMD but wish they were available on Amazon!
June 5th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you have a cloth diaper store near you? I would look into it and see if you can make the trip to go feel the diapers for yourself. I peronally love the thursties covers, but I HATE prefolds - the baby pees once and starts complaining (not saying I dont change my kid) but I was seriously finding myself changing prefolds about every 15 min, even would wake them up from a nap.
June 5th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran
Bethy - so do you only use inserts then? If so what kind?
I don't think we have a cloth diaper store here.

Well, I was wrong. We do have a cloth diaper store! Welcome : Snuggle Hugs

Last edited by littlecloud; June 5th, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
June 5th, 2014, 11:47 AM
bugz
I also recommend getting to a cloth diapering store if you can. There are 3 around me, all about 30 minutes away, and I'm really glad I went. While I was there I realized I hated prefolds. I couldn't figure the things out even with a lot of help and they made me want to quit cloth diapering entirely. I know lots of people love them, but they aren't for me at all. I'm using pockets and I think I have a few AIO's. Also while I was there I fell in love with the sizing of the Fuzzibunz and Charlie Banana when before I thought I wouldn't like it because snaps seem easier. But apparently I love elastic sizing rather than snaps.

I'm still ordering diapers online because it's cheaper, but just going to the store helps a lot.
June 5th, 2014, 02:49 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes I was meaning the osocozy and the GMDs are the green mountain diapers. I am also trying to find the site but there is one site that has a variety pack that you can rent so you can try out lots of different types and brands. I will admit that getting the hang of the prefolds is sort of a pain but once you do they are so much easier and cheaper. Here is a video of me diapering Caleb with a prefold that I have on FB. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

June 5th, 2014, 05:21 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally HATE prefolds, especially on NB. I am just thankful I didn't spend money on them, I was given the ones I used. I found fitteds, pockets, or AIO's worked best. The pockets were more bulky though until they got bigger. Thirsties I love. You may want to look into their AIO as well. I like the Thirsties with Kissaluvs fitteds for NB. I have heard good things about Kawaii brand, but never used them. The OS stuff may take a little bit before baby can fit into it. Often OS are pretty bulky on a NB.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search