Engagement rings / wedding bands

Forum: October 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By Saturday03
  • 1 Post By Sylvera
  • 2 Post By ~*Bethy*~
  • 1 Post By ~*Bethy*~
  • 1 Post By happy-ness
  • 1 Post By oneandonecoming
  • 3 Post By Sylvera
  • 1 Post By ~*Bethy*~
  • 2 Post By TrinityDawnMaura

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
oneandonecoming's Avatar October 2014 DDC Co-Host
Saw this in another DDC. Were you surprised with them, or did you help pick them out?

Let's see a picture too (if you care to share)

November 11th 2013 - 7w -
June 26th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran
I'm not gonna lie I totally thought you were going to ask if they fit anymore with us getting farther along and swelling hahaha

I definitely dropped hints about the style I wanted but my hubby ended up picking out one that was a beautiful mixture of his taste and mine. I would upload a picture but it's too much work having to use photobucket.... Speaking of which, totally off topic, but are we still interested in starting a fb group? Cause I would totally participate more on that haha.
1/25/14 - beta 1232
1/27/14 - beta 2755
1/31/14 - ultrasound showing gestational sac and yolk sac
2/11/14 - ultrasound showing baby and heart rate at 140 bpm
2/28/14 - first appointment to take history
3/20/14 - NT scan and doctor appointment
4/15/14 - 16 week appointment heart rate 156 bpm
5/16/14 - anatomy scan - it's a
BOY!! Heart rate 146 bpm
6/11/14 - doctors appointment. Everything looks great! Measuring right on track. Baby hb 147 bpm
June 26th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Super Mommy
Hubby and I both went and picked our rings out together one day when we decided it was time to get hitched. I have a vendetta against real diamonds (and overly expensive jewelry in general) so I have zirconias - good quality ones, but zirconias nonetheless. Even if they are 'fake' diamonds, I absolutely love my rings and get lots of compliments on them.

Ami89 likes this.

thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com

Last edited by Sylvera; June 26th, 2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: I accidentally deleted my whole description - oops.
June 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't pick out the engagement ring but I did my wedding band. Engagement ring is a $60 sterling silver amethyst ring and the wedding band is a sterling silver infinity ring with diamond chips that was around $200.

I don't wear them together and neither fit right now.

June 26th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally thought it was going to be about being able to wear them, too. And, I can wear my wedding band right now but not my engagement ring. My wedding band is slightly bigger.

Anyway, he chose my engagement ring and I chose the wedding bands. My engagement ring is a platinum past, present, future ring. Wedding band does not match it. I chose our bands to match each others.
DD2:3
DS: 2
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
June 26th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Veteran
My husband completely surprised me. We had talked about getting married, but I had no idea he was actually going to propose. He bought them as a set, and even got the size right.

DD 11
DD 5
DS 2
Boy #2 due 10/27/14

June 26th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Completely planned out by me! It took us about 6 years to afford a real diamond wedding set for me, and was DEFINITELY worth the wait

sorry if the picture is huge, Im on my 32" HD TV and not sure if its huge LOL
StephcMc and happy-ness like this.
June 26th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Also to add to Angie's post - My first wedding set was a cubic zerconia set from Amazon, we bought it for $40! I LOVVVVED that wedding set, and I cried when I had to get it cut off when I was pregnant with Ian!!
StephcMc likes this.
June 26th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When we first got engaged he had his dad make my solitaire (he's a jeweler) and when we got married I had a plain white gold band to go with it. He picked out the enhancement on his own after I looked at and tried a few on a couple years back. I can still wear them but I don't wear them in the house, because I am always cleaning and picking stuff up and the solitaire always gets caught on things or snags stuff. It once scratched my youngest in the face when he was fairly little. I love them but I am constantly taking them off when I walk through the door and trying to remember to put them back on when leaving.

June 26th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Veteran
Wow, all those ring sets are gorgeous!
My hubby got me a second hand opal engagement ring. He picked it up for 20 but I thought it was pretty nice as it's my birthstone and fits perfectly just by chance. My wedding ring was my Great Great Grandmas, it's rose gold and quite thick, not what I would have picked but I love knowing that it's been passed down through all those years. For the record it still fits but it's getting pretty snug!
StephcMc likes this.
June 27th, 2014, 04:56 AM
lfavorite83's Avatar Veteran
I was surprised by my engagement ring, mostly because I had said I didn't want one when we had started casually talking about getting married. I told him I thought it was a waste of money to get one!! But after he proposed, he explained that he was old-fashioned and it was important to him to get me one. He actually spent about 6 months searching for one that felt right....so because of all that, I really really love mine for the sentiment he put behind it.

For our wedding bands, both were purchased from Etsy artists. His is a titanium band we got for about 30 bucks, and mine is white gold and I think was about 130 bucks. He loves his and says it's very comfortable, and mine are so delicate that I forget they are there sometimes. Thankfully I haven't had any swelling in my fingers, so I can still wear mine...for now!!

TEAM PINK!!
June 27th, 2014, 05:07 AM
oneandonecoming's Avatar October 2014 DDC Co-Host
Nah I wouldn't ask if they still fit ... that's a sensitive subject for me right now. I really, really, really don't like taking mine off. I just don't feel right without them and I don't like it at all. But some days they fit (granted, they're quite tight) and other days they are just so uncomfortable so I have to take them off.

Mine weren't a surprise at all - and that's the way I like it. We went together to look at engagement rings. It wasn't really "well I like this one and this one and this one" and then he chose. I chose the exact one that I liked and he got it that day (though it had to be sized so him actually proposing was a bit of a surprise). My wedding band I picked out by myself. Actually, I picked his out by myself too. He was like "I don't care, just get me something in my size."

This is my "set" and his ring. (He doesn't normally wear them I was bagging raw meat so asked him to take mine off and he put them on lol)
Mine's not an actual "set" but they are both what I loved so I don't really care about that.
StephcMc likes this.

November 11th 2013 - 7w -
June 27th, 2014, 06:58 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Well, hubby had picked out a ring entirely on his own, and I knew nothing about it. I had never wanted to have any involvement in deciding on my ring because I wanted it to come from him. Then, one day, and in our cruddiest clothes (I still am embarrassed by this), we just stopped into a diamond shop to look around. We ended up finding a setting with matching band that we both liked. The only thing I really, really wanted was a princess-cut diamond so we were looking at stones, and they accidentally dropped it in the prong wrong. They said that was called their baseball setting. We're both huge baseball fans so that sealed the deal. He put in in layaway that day. I have mine soldered together because I could never deal with them flipping all the time, and I only take it off if I am mixing something messy with my hands.

New picture in progress......
June 27th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Super Mommy
A couple more things I wanted to mention now that I'm not in a big rush (last night I was exhausted and bed was calling my name!).

We had the least romantic engagement ever. We literally just started talking about it one day and decided we should get married. We went to a store, looked at rings, picked out our favourites, paid down half, and came back the next day to pay them off. Hubby likes to be a big advocate for gender equality, so he started wearing his wedding band right away as an 'engagement' band to match me, which I thought was extremely cute.

I actually lost my original engagement ring a couple months before the wedding (I found it again later, figures ) so I bought the set I have now as placeholders. I ended up falling in love with them and decided to wear them full-time instead of going back to the original set I had. Everyone tells me that they suit me very well, and I have to agree I often do the same thing as Danielle (take them off to clean, etc. and then forget to put them back on) so I am probably caught not wearing them about as often as I do wear them. The setting for the center gem is actually really high and it tends to get caught on things. I am swelling a tiny bit (probably largely because of the heat as much as the pregnancy) so they're a tad snug, but not too uncomfortable... yet.

Also, HalfDozen, I did a double-take when I saw your rings because I have a right-hand ring that looks really similar to your wedding band! Mine was a gift from my mother-in-law. She gave it to her own mother (who has since sadly passed) and then gave it to me from there. I guess it's an early-generation heirloom

thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
June 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Angie, when DH first proposed, that ring you just posted looks EXACTLY like my engagement ring!!! Loved how simple and tiny it was!
Sylvera likes this.
June 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM
TrinityDawnMaura's Avatar Veteran

My ring has seven diamonds because we married on 7/7/7

Love seeing everyone's rings!
HalfDozen and oneandonecoming like this.

June 28th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Super Mommy
I dropped MAJOR hints, lol!
I never realized I don't have a picture of my e-ring and wedding band together, weird. And they haven't fit me comfortably since maybe 21 weeks or so stupid MI humidity I think is making me swell up more. But my band is basically just a straight, plain eternity band about the same width as the little windy parts on the sides of my e-ring.

This one was taken while getting my hair done on my wedding day

I bought a cheapy cz set on amazon to wear in the mean time until my real ones fit again lol. I heard stories of women having to get their rings cut off while pregnant and DID not want to take the chance of being one of them!

June 28th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran
No sham here: my rings totally don't fit anymore.

I picked out the wedding band- a simple white gold, no adornments. Which is good because it has seriously been beat up.

The engagement ring is a family heirloom and I tote it out for special occasions and family gatherings only. I'd die if it were lost or damaged.
June 28th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Super Mommy
My original engagement ring was just a plain gold band with the diamond set. I hate gold colored gold...lol....about 2 years later(we were engaged 5 years) at work the diamond fell out. Luckily I found it. We went and got a ring I liked(white gold...would have got platinum but pricey!) and we also picked out or wedding bands. That is the set I still have now. Married 17 years in Aug(together 22 years this past aprilhere is my set. Oh and I have never taken them off while pregnant. Luckily my hands have never swelled that much. Hopefully I am as lucky this time.

As you can see I like pretty plain jewelry....After this baby is born my dh is getting me a mothers ring..which will also not be fancy..lol Hopefully we dont screw this up and get pregant again...the ring will be all wrong then...ha ha
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search