Midwife appointment & baby position question

Forum: October 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Sylvera
  • 3 Post By AmyLM
  • 1 Post By flitabout
  • 2 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By ~*Bethy*~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Super Mommy
At what point does a baby typically run out of space to move about freely? At my midwife appointment yesterday, they mentioned that he is in a 'weird' position (head down, but kind of tucked away to the right). Since he always seems to be in weird places, I'm wondering when he's going to run out of space to keep doing somersaults in there, and when it might start to actually be problematic if he keeps settling in strange spots. Does anyone happen to know? I know that if baby is in a bad position around 8 months, they will start to try to find ways to get him to turn - is it okay if he keeps messing around until then?

Other than me starting to wonder about that, everything else seems to be doing well HB is about 140 and he is very active in there. When my midwife set the doppler down on him, I got an immediate kick of retaliation... when that didn't make her stop poking him, he shied away from the probe. She commented on his reactivity as being a good thing.

I also have my last u/s next Monday (they missed a few things at my anatomy scan so I'm going for a partial repeat... 8 weeks later, lol), and my glucose test is that day as well. I definitely have some degree of hypoglycemia so I am a bit worried about the glucose test, but hopefully it will go well. We shall see next week!
~*Bethy*~ and StephcMc like this.

July 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You still have a while before he runs out of room. I think at about 34 weeks, I'd start getting concerned about position. Some people might disagree with me but, really, they are busy in there and don't have anything else to do but move around! Especially at 25 weeks, dont' worry about it.
StephcMc, Sylvera and pokypuppy like this.

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
July 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
bugz
I had an OB appointment this morning. Emmett is a very low baby and is almost always below my belly button (I've only felt his body above my belly button once or twice). He lays transverse quite often with his back against my cervix. Of course he was like that today at my appointment. OB wasn't concerned at all. He just said if Emmett is still in that position at 37 weeks I will go into the OR and they will try and turn him. They do it in the OR just in case something happens and they need to deliver then. Before then he said it's not something they worry about and that babies can move even the day they are delivered.

You could look into spinning babies though, I've read/heard about that helping turn babies.
July 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
At my 24 week appointment the midwife tried to feel around to see if she could get the position but couldn't get it, and said that was normal at that point in time, they said when the baby gets bigger it's more obvious. I wouldn't worry, I think my baby was head down a week ago I was getting movement up top for the first time then flipped over again and is now again thumping me at the top. I think these babies still have a lot of growing to do.

Nice that you had a good appointment! Good luck with the glucose test. I did mine on Friday, it was a lot of waiting because they had me skip the first test and they had to do 3 blood draws.

July 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
34 weeks is the technical time they say they run out of space. But if they are like my step granddaughter the may flip head up and down until birth! The day before she was born she was breach.
HalfDozen likes this.

July 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran
I know my OB doesn't worry about position until much closer to the end. While she checks the baby's position at every appointment, I think 36 weeks is the point she actually starts worrying about it.

DD 11
DD 5
DS 2
Boy #2 due 10/27/14

July 9th, 2014, 05:15 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Well, my answer is that they never run out of room, at least with me. But I have lots of kids!! With both #4 and #5, they told me that they were breech at an appointment - between 32 & 36 weeks. Usually they'll set up an ultrasound for some point after that. With my 4th, the ultrasound showed that she was head down. With my 5th, he was still breech so they scheduled a version. My midwives don't do versions so you have to see an OB, and it's in the hospital, just in case. I got there for the version, and he was head down. They like to do versions around 36-37 weeks, but I didn't have mine scheduled until 39 weeks. He told me he suspected I'd be back in less than a week to deliver, and I told him he was crazy. He was right!

Now, back to #4. They decided to induce me early because I was having blood pressure issues. They started the induction, then the OB was feeling around and said she thought she read that she'd been breech before, which she had. She got the ultrasound, and she was breech so they stopped the induction and said they'd do a version the next morning because they really didn't want to chance emergency c-section in the middle of the night. The next morning, less than 24 hours later, she was head down again so I didn't end up needing the version, and they re-started the induction.

I fully expect that this one will be breech at the end, too. I did do spinning babies with #5, and I don't know if that turned him, or if he just decided to turn on his own. I know lots of people swear by it!

Generally, they run out of room earlier with the fewer kids that you have. Also, it sometimes depends on what kind of breech the position is, since there are different kinds. Especially since yours isn't breech at this point, I wouldn't worry at all. And some hospitals will still deliver vaginally breech. Again, it depends on the kind of breech. They told me with #5 that if I went into labor on my own before the version, and he was still breech, they would make an attempt, but it wasn't their first choice, particularly since he was a footling breech, which is one of the most difficult types to deliver breech. They typically won't let first-time moms deliver breech, though.

More info than you wanted, I'm sure.
~*Bethy*~ and Sylvera like this.

New picture in progress......
July 10th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ryker is the first baby to be head up at 23 weeks - sooooo Im with Halfdozen when I say they never run out of room - they just get squished. Babies flip all the time, and they always flip at the last minute too so if hes head down, and to the right, he just has to turn a bit to get into the correct position. You've got PLENTY of time
HalfDozen likes this.
July 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Super Mommy
My first was head down early on...my twins were head down early on as well both my first and twins by 23 weeks....My last it took a while longer..probably closer to 30 weeks till he was head down and stayed that way. This baby at my 20 week u/s was head down..now wether or not it stayed that way I will know in a few weeks.
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14
July 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just saw my midwife on Wednesday and asked her about this since my baby girl loves to hang out feet down, she said not to worry as baby still has lots of time to turn into a head down position. The midwife said that although it can vary a bit depending on babies size, moms size and what number of pregnancy it is for mom generally they like to see baby head down by about 32-34 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search