Log In Sign Up

I have no idea what stroller to get...


Forum: October 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 10th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Perhaps you ladies can help me out with my oddly specific needs for a stroller... I thought I had it all figured out, but then I told my MIL (who is paying for my stroller, up to $500) which I wanted. Not only did she basically veto my top choice, but she has made some 'suggestions' that basically equate to demands

In a nutshell, I need a jogging or all-terrain stroller - I live in a small, old-timey town that has some dirt and gravel roads, and most of the sidewalks are very uneven, so she thinks (probably rightfully so) that I will have a horrible time with a standard stroller. I don't really have any problem with agreeing to that, especially since she's buying. Unfortunately, all the ones I've researched so far seem to have at least one of two glaring issues: a) they aren't a travel system so they won't accommodate a newborn, and b) they're crazy heavy and/or bulky. We drive a tiny little hatchback, so I would much rather not have to try and lift a 30-40 lb stroller into the back of our car. Unfortunately, I also think my hands are probably tied on that one.

Anyway, I guess my question for you ladies is this:
1) Is there a such thing as a jogging stroller travel system that isn't ridiculously heavy/huge? (I'm thinking no, lol)
2) If I need to have a super heavy stroller anyway, does anyone have any recommendations on one for me to check out? We're going to go have a look at some next week and hopefully make our pick then.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Graco FastAction Fold Jogger Click Connect Travel System... but I won't lie, a lot of that is just because I like the carseat it comes with. The reviews are a bit iffy. Also, since I'm spending someone else's money, I am not obligated to buy a budget system - maybe I should get something a little nicer?

Any and all suggestions appreciated
~*Bethy*~ likes this.
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 10th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hunter Army Airfield (Richmond Hill), Ga
Posts: 3,674
The quinny buzz xtra is what we bought. If you google it you can find people who took it on nature trails and it did great. Before we had a Phil and teds which is your typical jogging type stroller. We loved it mainly because it fit 2 kids tandem style and could switch to a single stroller. I love the quinny. It is so lightweight and it folds into almost nothing. It fits with the maxi cosi car seat (which is what we bought) so you can use it from birth. Years ago we bought a Greco jogging stroller and we hated it. The front wheel was stationary and was super big, bulky and awkward. I hope you find something wonderful that fits all of your needs!'
Sylvera likes this.
__________________
Danielle: Mom to Caitlyn (16), Brooklynn (12), Jackson (8), Lincoln (5), & Baby Harrison


Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 10th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle80 View Post
The quinny buzz xtra is what we bought. If you google it you can find people who took it on nature trails and it did great.
Dayum, that is one compact 3-wheeler! Unfortunately, that's reflected in the price I wonder if I could get MIL to bite (she wanted me to look at a different Quinny... I forget which, though.)
Did you buy it brand new for this baby? If so, I'm going to guess you have yet to use it? I would love a first-hand review on how it handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle80 View Post
Years ago we bought a Greco jogging stroller and we hated it. The front wheel was stationary and was super big, bulky and awkward.
I keep hearing the same thing, and that people have issues with the wheel locking on its own. I should probably keep looking. Thanks for your input!
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 10th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Maddy6912's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 850
Jogging strollers aren't recommended for kids under 1. If you jog with a child below 1 their head will "wobble" back and fourth which could potentially cause brain damage. But if you don't jog with baby then you don't have to worry!
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 10th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,047
I have the Graco FastAction Fold Jogger Click Connect Travel System. I wanted a jogger for similar reasons to you, so we can get around on all kinds of terrain. My friends have a bob but that one is just out of my price range.


Well it's still in the box, and it goes on sale a lot. We got it for 349 at babies r us but I've seen it at sears recently for 399.


I watched a bunch of youtube videos on it and it looks great to me. It folds up with one hand and stands up on it's own with a stand that pops out as you fold it.


The reviews I found for the most part were pretty positive. It's what made me pick it. Here is a good video but try to search more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOfBoRg50Y


Also, you want to note that the buckle might be recalled on the car seat, I'm going to pull mine out of the box this week to check the serial number on it. The recall was for the buckles being sticky and not opening.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
July 10th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy6912 View Post
Jogging strollers aren't recommended for kids under 1. If you jog with a child below 1 their head will "wobble" back and fourth which could potentially cause brain damage. But if you don't jog with baby then you don't have to worry!
Don't worry, Maddy, I'm not planning to jog for a good long while with baby - I just need something that can handle a few bumps in the pavement I'm to understand that's a lot easier with a 3-wheeled stroller, they tend to get stuck less. I would actually prefer an all-terrain stroller but there doesn't seem to be a whole ton of them to choose from.
StephcMc likes this.
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
July 10th, 2014, 07:58 AM
bugz
Guest
Posts: n/a
The stroller that I have is the Rock Star Baby Infinity. They don't make them anymore so chances are you won't be able to get one unless you find it used on Kijiji (there are a few). They sold for $600 new but are about $250 used. But the company that made that stroller also makes the i'coo strollers which look very, very similar. I personally haven't tried them out but the RSB Infinity is a dream.

It's a 4 wheel stroller but travels amazing. It's smooth, even with a toddler in it you can easily push it with one hand. It glides over bumps. You can keep the front wheels locked or unlocked. It turns very sharp so you don't have to make wide turns. It looks great. It folds down well and easily. I don't have a lot of stroller experience but I don't find it bulky or heavy. It also comes with a basinet, full seat and car seat adaptor. The car seat adaptor claims to be universal but from what I've figured out it fits Graco, Peg and Britax.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
July 10th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada eh
Posts: 1,483
Some strollers may not be sold as travel systems but you can always buy car seat adapters to turn it into your own travel system. If it were to go over $500 slightly (if you did buy the stroller, adapter and car seat separately) would it be an option for you guys to throw a bit of extra money in there with hers, or is $500 absolute tops?

I like the travel system Stephanie mentioned. Other than that, strollers that will be good for what you need are between $450 and $499 just for the stroller it seems (I'm sure you could find them on sale though)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
July 10th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonecoming View Post
Some strollers may not be sold as travel systems but you can always buy car seat adapters to turn it into your own travel system. If it were to go over $500 slightly (if you did buy the stroller, adapter and car seat separately) would it be an option for you guys to throw a bit of extra money in there with hers, or is $500 absolute tops?

I like the travel system Stephanie mentioned. Other than that, strollers that will be good for what you need are between $450 and $499 just for the stroller it seems (I'm sure you could find them on sale though)
I think that, if we find something really awesome, MIL will probably let me throw in some extra money... then again, I'm not sure. I wanted the Britax B-Ready and one of her complaints about it was the fact that it's about $525 before you even start thinking about car seats and accessories. I wanted to pay the difference or even pick up a second-hand one, but noooo... even though the B-Ready has 1,000,000 awesome features and I love how it looks/handles, she thinks it's too much to pay for 'just a stroller'. I guess that mentality might carry over to all-terrain strollers too, but she has recommended a bunch of crazy expensive ones (and they tend to run pricier than standard strollers most of the time), so I don't know. I'm willing to consider pretty much everything right now and hope that she will work with me a bit if I pick something that's a bit over budget.
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
July 10th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada eh
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvera View Post
I think that, if we find something really awesome, MIL will probably let me throw in some extra money... then again, I'm not sure. I wanted the Britax B-Ready and one of her complaints about it was the fact that it's about $525 before you even start thinking about car seats and accessories. I wanted to pay the difference or even pick up a second-hand one, but noooo... even though the B-Ready has 1,000,000 awesome features and I love how it looks/handles, she thinks it's too much to pay for 'just a stroller'. I guess that mentality might carry over to all-terrain strollers too, but she has recommended a bunch of crazy expensive ones (and they tend to run pricier than standard strollers most of the time), so I don't know. I'm willing to consider pretty much everything right now and hope that she will work with me a bit if I pick something that's a bit over budget.
Ah okay. My bad, I thought you specifically wanted a three wheel jogger. Have you looked into the Baby Jogger City Mini - specifically the four wheel one? I know, it's a four wheeler. But seriously that stroller is AWESOME! We tried it out and I fell in love with it. That's the one we're getting. It's not huge by any means, BUT IMO it handles incredibly well, it's nice enough to look at. And it's only $299!
StephcMc likes this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #11  
July 10th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonecoming View Post
Ah okay. My bad, I thought you specifically wanted a three wheel jogger. Have you looked into the Baby Jogger City Mini - specifically the four wheel one? I know, it's a four wheeler. But seriously that stroller is AWESOME! We tried it out and I fell in love with it. That's the one we're getting. It's not huge by any means, BUT IMO it handles incredibly well, it's nice enough to look at. And it's only $299!
I think I am most likely to talk her into a three-wheeler or an all-terrain stroller... in her head, bigger wheels = better handling over bumps. Whether or not that is actually true I couldn't possibly know - I'm new to all this It couldn't hurt to suggest a few 4-wheelers though.

I was looking at the Mini pretty recently, actually. I started considering the B-Agile (which is apparently almost the exact same) and I hear a lot of good things about both. Time to ask Google how it handles gravel and grass!
twoandonecoming likes this.
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
July 10th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,144
Does it have to be new? Have you looked on Craigslist or Kijiji for them?
__________________
Me:39
DH:38
DD1:5
DD2:3
DS: 2
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14








Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
July 10th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hunter Army Airfield (Richmond Hill), Ga
Posts: 3,674
Quinny makes a buzz (few year older model) that is on sale at albee baby and babiesrus both for 399. It's actually listed as an all terrain stroller. Every review I have read was great. I found a dad's view video review of a dad using the buzz on a trail and he loved it. Just a thought.

Toysrus
Sylvera likes this.
__________________
Danielle: Mom to Caitlyn (16), Brooklynn (12), Jackson (8), Lincoln (5), & Baby Harrison


Reply With Quote
  #14  
July 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLM View Post
Does it have to be new? Have you looked on Craigslist or Kijiji for them?
I'm totally cool with getting a second-hand one as long as it's in good shape. I do live pretty far off the beaten path, though, so it depends on whether or not I can find one that is worth driving an hour+ in each direction to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle80 View Post
Quinny makes a buzz (few year older model) that is on sale at albee baby and babiesrus both for 399. It's actually listed as an all terrain stroller. Every review I have read was great. I found a dad's view video review of a dad using the buzz on a trail and he loved it. Just a thought.

Toysrus
I would be all over that... if I didn't live in Canada. Neither place will ship to me and it's not on sale on the Canadian version of Toys R Us.
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
July 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada eh
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvera View Post
I'm totally cool with getting a second-hand one as long as it's in good shape. I do live pretty far off the beaten path, though, so it depends on whether or not I can find one that is worth driving an hour+ in each direction to get.



I would be all over that... if I didn't live in Canada. Neither place will ship to me and it's not on sale on the Canadian version of Toys R Us.
I'm just one opinion on many, but IMO stay far, far away from the Buzz. We bought one brand new for $499 with Olivia. Broke almost instantly (the frame would NOT fold down). Contacted Dorel (company) and they sent me a replacement after I cut some of the stroller apart and mailed it to them as they requested. A few months later, same thing happened. We only ever walked with it (never jogged or ran or anything) so I'm not a fan of that one. Looks pretty, but eh.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
July 12th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 658
Honestly..I live in the middle of bloody NOWHERE......Really...I have the graco I used with Ryder and will keep that for when we are out and about around home...(dirt roads...hills and mts...) I didnt need a jogging stroller...and the terrain here is rough....Now my dillema...which I didnt realize is that my car seat will expire in december...UGGHHHHHHHHH so I was looking at the graco click connect 40...My stroller I have now does not fit into the cargo area of my huge truck..and we used to just throw it in the middle row..but I will have 2 carseats in there now...so I was looking at the Breaze(which wouldnt work on tough terrain...) which you can click the carseat into....the Breaze is like a really really really beefed up umbrella type stroller..it will work for shopping etc...and it will fit in my cargo area...Anyway...I would go with the graco..but I have mostly used graco for the travel systems and found I prefer them to other brands..I think I am one of the few people completely unimpressed with chicco and britax...just not impressed..maybe I am weird. Now I have to decide to buy now..(expensive dang seat and stroller...160 for stroller 200 for seat...or wait until just after the new year whe we get our income tax refund..)
__________________
Nicole
Mom to
Alyssa 5/18/00
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14
Reply With Quote
  #17  
July 12th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,108
I am a little confused, Nicole - are you saying you had a Graco travel system that WASN'T a 3-wheeler and you didn't have trouble with rough terrain?

I've got a short list of strollers to look at when we go out, but they do tend to be really expensive, especially because most of them aren't travel systems. Most can be converted, but then you need to buy the adapter and seat separately, which runs the price up. I never would have guessed that picking a stroller would be one of the hardest decisions to make!
twoandonecoming likes this.
__________________
Sevyn (25) & Scott (27)
Parents to one precious boy, born sleeping @41 weeks (10/23/2014)
Cautiously expecting our RAINBOW in October 2015!






thursdaythe23rd.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
July 13th, 2014, 08:27 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,596
I have always had a Graco travel system (non-3-wheeled - the standard 4 wheels), and I also live in the middle of nowhere. Granted, I've only lived in the middle of nowhere since just before #4, but I've never had any issues with the handling of them. The only time it has come up is when we go on vacation at the beach. They don't do well in the sand, but over any other terrain, it's been fine.
__________________
Mommy to Jasmine (18), Kirsten (14), Ana (13), Katie (3), Xavier (1), and Gunnar (born 10-15-14)



New picture in progress......
Reply With Quote
  #19  
July 13th, 2014, 08:36 AM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 1,565
I can only do Chicco. Everything else i made for short people and hits me in the shin or hurts my back.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #20  
July 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvera View Post
I am a little confused, Nicole - are you saying you had a Graco travel system that WASN'T a 3-wheeler and you didn't have trouble with rough terrain?

I've got a short list of strollers to look at when we go out, but they do tend to be really expensive, especially because most of them aren't travel systems. Most can be converted, but then you need to buy the adapter and seat separately, which runs the price up. I never would have guessed that picking a stroller would be one of the hardest decisions to make!
Yes my old graco is 4 wheels it was part of a travel system came with my snug ride 32. Not sure the exact model of stroller it is though. It has 4 bigger wheels kind of knobby tread. All the new strollers are so different though.
__________________
Nicole
Mom to
Alyssa 5/18/00
Myah 11/12/02
Julian 11/12/02
Ryder 8/14/09
Baby due 10/27/14
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0