Logan Connor's early debut!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 13 Post By Karen182
  • 1 Post By Sebastians_mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To OUT WITH THEIR HEADS ( and bodies ) LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Super Mommy
Sunday, March 2nd, DC and the suburbs were hunkering down for yet another winter storm. They were predicting ice, freezing rain, and up to a foot of snow the next day, so everyone was basically treating it as a 3-day weekend. We knew we weren't going to work on Monday! Zach and I were upstairs in our room getting ready to go out for the evening. I had dinner plans with some girl friends, so I had showered and was getting dressed when I realized that I hadn't felt baby move much (at all?) that day. I mentioned it to Zach, who asked me to call the midwife on duty at the hospital. She had me lay down on my side, drink some super cold water, and start doing kick counts for an hour. She said to call back if it was less than 10.

45 minutes later, I only had felt 3 kicks. I was starting to feel nervous about it, so I sent a message to my friends bailing on dinner, saying we were going to go get the baby looked at. I was counting down the last few minutes to the hour until we were going to call back the midwife, when I felt a slightly painful popping sensation and a bit of liquid. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom where niagra falls had started between my legs. (Sorry, TMI, but whoa as a FTM that was crazy how much liquid there was!!!) My head started spinning--was this my water breaking? I was only 35 weeks, totally normal and healthy textbook pregnancy. Waters don't spontaneously bust at 35 weeks!

I had Zachary call the hospital back to tell her that I thought my water had broken, and she said we should come in, that it could be that or it could be something else. In my head, it was something else. They were going to send us right back home. Baby wasn't coming for at least 3-4 more weeks! Luckily Zach kept quite level headed and started packing bags. I tried to get him to just get in the car, but he wanted to "treat this like a dress rehearsal" and get everything together so we would know for next time." Thank goodness--'cause there was no next time, this was the performance!

By the time we got to the hospital the rain had started. I told Zach to leave all the bags in the car and waddled across the parking lot, feeling the whole time like I was peeing myself. (FYI: Once your water breaks, the floodgates don't stop. I had no idea). By the time we got upstairs to labor and delivery, the nurses took one look at me and started the process to admit me. There was no triage or vital signs check, they saw my soaked through pants and knew exactly what was happening. That's when I started to panic. "So I'm not going home tonight?" "Not without a baby." I was so scared. I was 35 weeks exactly. Babies aren't supposed to be born at 35 weeks! I started crying, and the head nurse reassured me that the baby would be fine, that they had an excellent NICU if necessary, and that everything would work out.

I was hooked up to the monitor belts, and they saw I was having little contractions (I'd been having them for weeks) but nothing serious. They sent me off walking for 45 minutes, suggesting the stairs. Zach and I marched all over that hospital, up and down stairs, around corridors, pacing laps, race walking, everything we could to try to get stuff started. I think I was trying to counteract my anxiety with exercise. My anxiety was lessening, but the contractions weren't starting. After a couple more rounds of walking/monitoring, the midwife started pitocin around 11:30.

Contractions started almost immediately. I lasted until 2:30 until I asked for the epidural, because I was exhausted and needed to sleep. I am fairly certain the epidural was what I was most nervous for in this entire process. It was scary. I am SO GLAD I got it though. Sweet, sweet relief! My right leg went completely limp and numb, and my left side was warm and tingly. It was awesome.

I spent the rest of the night either sleeping, or grading papers. Quarter grades are due this week, I was so paranoid I wouldn't have it all in! I managed to grade about half my algebra students' tests, and I heard the nurses in the hall laughing about me That's okay, it'll give me a good story to tell the kids if I go back to work this year!

Around 6 am they started checking me, and I was steadily dilating. They kept the pitocin up, checked me every couple hours, and told me things were looking good. At one point I needed oxygen because baby's heart rate was doing something wonky, but after 15-20 minutes on it things seemed to level out.

At 10:30 or so, I started to feel the urge to push. STRONG. The midwife checked me and said they were going to let me sit for a little while to let baby descend further, so that pushing took less time. Okay, fine, sure. Zach really took this to heart. As the next hour progressed, I started to feel like I was working to hold baby in every time a contraction came.
"Zach, this baby is coming out. Like now."
"Karen, the doctors and nurses know what they're doing. They'll come back when it's time. Just be patient."
"No, you don't understand, he's coming out. Either go get the nurse, or put on some gloves to catch him."
"Oh sweetheart, they'll be back, just trust them."
"ZACHARY, NOW!"

He called the nurse, who told me that actually there were two other women also pushing right now, so I was third in line. Like an airplane to take off. Lovely. Finally the midwife came in to check me, and goes, "Oh my, this baby is right there. This is a one contraction baby." The look I shot Zach was nothing but a giant I TOLD YOU SO! And so ensued the circus of trying to get 2 nurses, the midwife, and the nicu team in the delivery room at the same time. (Apparently the storm sent a lot of people into labor all at once, so they were short staffed and flustered). Finally, everyone was there and after 20 minutes of pushing, out came baby Logan! Born at 11:56 am, 5 lbs 9 oz, 19 inches long.

They tried to put him on my chest all purple and gooey and I held up my hands and begged them to clean him off first. The nurse who had been with me all night started shouting, "No, no! Don't put him on her! She's really squeamish, she'll throw up on him or pass out!" Which is probably true. They cleaned him up, and the nicu team ran a ton of assessments on him. They determined that he was breathing just fine but that he needed some heat lamps because his temperature was low. They gave him to me for a few minutes, and then took him upstairs to the nursery.

Zach and I followed an hour or two later, where we were given back our baby boy. He's been doing amazingly well since then. He's got a lot of catching up to do, as his reflexes aren't fully developed so he can't nurse (I'm pumping, he's getting formula to supplement) and his energy levels are super low so we're cluster caring for him, but all things considered it's incredible how well he's doing. The nurses are calling him the little peanut of the floor since he's so tiny.

Yesterday we had a photographer come to our room to take some pictures of our brand new little guy. You can see them here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6207932&type=1
Tersh, Glitz, Tamara22 and 10 others like this.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
March 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful story and beautiful baby! I am so happy that you are both doing so well!!!
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

March 5th, 2014, 12:20 PM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He's precious! Congrats

March 5th, 2014, 12:33 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
He is so cute!!!! I am glad everything worked out well, even if it was early.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He's perfect. Thanks for sharing your birth story and pictures.
March 5th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Veteran
He is beautiful! I think it's funny that you were grading during labor! My husband is a high school math teacher and I have no doubt he will be spending many hours whilst I am in the hospital grading end of term papers.
MrsPalumbo likes this.
March 5th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran
YAY! You are a very cute little family!
March 5th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story! Thanks so much for sharing -- he is beautiful and perfect!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
March 6th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats to you both.

March 6th, 2014, 08:19 AM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow!! Really nice photos.. Congratulations!! I was waiting for birth stories. I like them a lot!! Happy ending and beginning!!!

March 6th, 2014, 12:48 PM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
And the birth stories begin!! Love your story and the pics! Congrats on being a family of 3

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
March 6th, 2014, 01:30 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I was so excited when I noticed there was a birth story in our birth stories section! CONGRATULATIONS! I am so, so happy that he is doing so amazingly well. And you did great! I can't imagine what the water breaking must have been like. I never experienced that. My water broke, or was broken, in the hospital during labor both times.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 6th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He is so cute!!! Congratulations.

March 6th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Congrats!!! What a cutie!!!! So funny you were grading papers, I love it!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 6th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man he has such a sweet little face!! I'm so glad everything turned out okay & he is doing so well. Congratulations to you guys!

March 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love this! He's adorable

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

March 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
He is so beautiful!!! Congrats!
March 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He's so ridiculously cute- it's making me antsy to see what my baby looks like. Then again- my newborns are just um- not that cute lol I had the same experience with my water breaking at 38 weeks with my first- I didn't know you could feel your water breaking- I actually made it to the bathroom before it did- all the good that did me- we had an hour+ drive to the hospital and I still walked into the hospital dripping. It was so gross other than that it sounds like you had an awesome birth and I'm so jealous your been is here!!! Congrats and yay for him being healthy etc at 35 weeks that's so amazing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search